Best hiking socks?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Which are your most convincing hiking socks?

In which boots do you wear them?

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I'm currently using some Dutch army wool ones, early days but they are proving to be warm, hard wearing and comfortable. Only £1.50 a pair from military mart too.

The BA arctic socks are great too, very warm for those extra cold moments, surprisingly hard wearing and reasonable price.

Karrimor merino socks? Holes after about the third outing. Think they were about 9 quid a pair, crap. I've heard great things about bridgedale socks but they are pretty expensive.

Reactions: Erbswurst

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Most of mine are Bridgedale ones, one of the midweight versions. I buy them when they're on sale.

I've also got a bunch of wool/synthetic blend wool hiking socks of various brands that I've picked up over the years.

They need to be fairly thin, wide toe box but no nasty seam in the toe and hard-wearing.

I'm trying out some injinji socks at the moment, but haven't had them long enough to decide on their longevity.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone wear 2 pairs of socks to reduce blisters?
I've never been able to do this as my second toe is longer than the big toe and can't resist the pull of the sock and just gets bent if I try double socks, so I've just gone with one pair of well-fitting pair of socks.

However, I got some injiinji liner socks to try 2 years ago and that did work as each toe has its own bit of fabric and the inbetween bits keep the sock from being pulled too far back towards the heel. I can't say that I've noticed much of a change in how likely I am to get hotspots, but then again my boots are worn in and I make sure I remove any bits of debris asap. I get hot feet when hiking, so I prefer just having a spare pair of socks and change after lunch if it's a long day out or my feet are feeling a bit soggy.

For me, wearing two pairs of socks means that there is an increased risk of folds on the sock that might lead to blisters. You also need to have room in the boot for the extra fabric. My ordinary hiking boots work with either just a liner sock or a mid-weight sock, but I think having 2 pairs would be pushing it and going up one size would be far too big.

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
+1 for Darn Tough socks.

Tried loads of socks over the years and walked hundreds of miles and these are by far the best for me, and the unconditional lifetime guarantee is also a winner.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Wifey complains I have too many socks, no really I don't. She just lost one of my better pair of cold weather socks last month or maybe the sock monster living in the washing machine ate them.. I have lost count who made them but I know they were synthetic, probably polyester maybe polyamide but made from very fine fiber, medium thick, felt almost like wool but were not. The fine fiber makes them more expensive but also warmer and more comfortable, they just FELT right. Otherwise wearing Leka's merino socks for winter street ware. Cotton for autumn and spring and Coolmax for summer.

I am preemptively taping my feet most of the time I know I'll go cross country. Carrying Micropore almost always.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@TLM

Don't your feet become very soon sweaty in plastic socks?

Do you wear something different than usual leather boots?

Did you get the impression that plastic socks destroy the inner leather much faster than wool socks?

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone wear 2 pairs of socks to reduce blisters?

Yep.
I'm trying out some injinji socks at the moment, but haven't had them long enough to decide on their longevity.
I use these during the Summer as a stand alone sock:

5 pairs for less than one pair of injinjis. I use the originals for long hikes.

Reactions: SaraR

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Don't your feet become very soon sweaty in plastic socks?
The more expensive fine fiber socks feel and act much more like natural fibers. To take an analogy, the first Nylon men's shirts were just awful (with their cheap large diameter fibers) but the present day "Supplex" and other are actually quite ok, I have worn them ever since they came on the market.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE