Best hiking socks?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone wear 2 pairs of socks to reduce blisters?
There's a few brands that produce 2 layer socks for that effect but without needing two socks. Had a few in the past but since I don't often get blisters because I get well fitting footwear that's not too heavy I never got to find out if they work!

Seriously though, I only got blisters for two reasons. First as kid with my first proper hiking boots bought to give me growing room. Which meant they didn't fit at first causing movement in the boot, friction and blisters. Second was doing long, challenge walks on tarnac for charity when the weather was wet which caused blisters along with a strange, deep skin blister on the ball of the foot that threatened to take the whole of the toughened skin in that area clean off my foot. That was only a 40 miler followed by 15 miler, "fun" walk with friends the next day.

I only wonder if the issue isn't sock related but footwear choice and perhaps what you're doing?

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Bamboo?

I guess it's worse than cotton.
Most bamboo fiber is regenerated cellulose fiber made from bamboo cellulose, apparently a slightly simpler process than making cellulose from wood.

A have a faint recollection that there exists a bamboo fiber made without any chemical processing but could not find it now.

The regenerated bamboo fiber obeys the standard rule in such, the finer the more comfortable but wear properties suffer.

Reactions: Minotaur

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone wear 2 pairs of socks to reduce blisters?
Yes. Does seem better than single socks. Only had an odd blister on one toe which might be due to shoe size or walking terrain on that day.
The regenerated bamboo fiber obeys the standard rule in such, the finer the more comfortable but wear properties suffer.
As I said they wick amazingly which is a big advantage for me. I can see myself changing to these for my standard sock over time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE