Best Hammock Tarp system?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Uthred

Jan 13, 2013
Somerset
Been Scopeing a Hammock-Tarp System...What would YOU say was Best??... Rather Buy Once!..
Warbonnet looks pretty Good,are they available in UK?..Or can anyone recomend others I should look at??
Cheers!

Bigrich

Jan 26, 2011
Malvern
When I decided to start sleeping off the floor (and I haven't looked back) I spoke to Matt at UKhammocks to get his opinion on what I should go for. I ended up going for a Warbonnet (as I'm tall and heavy) and a superfly tarp. I have since slept out in it often, and on one occasion for over a week and I love it. I am sure everyone will have their own opinions. But it goes up quick, the footbox makes it simple to get flat, the shelf keeps my glasses, phone and any other little bits of kit to hand. The tarp covers it well, and with the doors gives afew options for set up and the attachment points on the side means you can have it out pretty wide.

2012-11-17 08.17.44 - small.jpg
This is before tightening it up in the morning after a night of torrential rain
2012-01-07 09.16.39 small.jpg
Extra bits of space inside.

Each time I have taken it out I have loved it, combined with a down bag on top and a full length underquilt its the snuggest set up I've found for sleeping out side. Would only go back to the ground if there were no tress.

Again, no connection, but Matts been a real gent for advice and tweeks so everytime set up has been quicker and mre comfortable than the last.

Rich

Last edited:

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
I use a Henessey Expedition Asym hammock and a Warbonnet Superfly tarp. The tarp is brilliant I haven't regretted the outlay once. Loads of flexibility in setup because of the doors and side pull outs and pack size is small due to silnylon construction. I love my Hennessy even more now that I've had it modded by Mat at UK Hammocks so it's zipped all the way round and the bug net can come off winter etc.

+1 for Mat's service and adv, no connections etc. just a happy customer (and he's a local business to me).

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
the hennessy for me, had a couple of DD's i find theres more room in the HH plus it has its own no fuss tarp attached, had mine modded by matt with a zip too

Last edited:

Scopey

Forager
Apr 26, 2012
Brandon,Suffolk
I love my HH deluxe explorer - was in it over a week in Scotland last September - sleep better in it than my own bed. Second the above sentiments on UK hammocks , met Matt at last years bushcraft show , very helpful, knowledgable and modded my hammock wih some of their whoopie slings - much quicker to hang now!

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
Hammocks are a matter of prefrence really, there are different types and even with different manufacturers of the same type you may prefer one over another. The best advice is to try other people's out and see how you get on with them.

As for tarps, there are different styles and materials, all have their pros and cons, for example lots of people like the DD tarps however I find my 3x4m one heavy and far too big, I much prefer the silnylon cat cut tarp that I made.

Warbonnet kit is very good and though I don't own one myself my friend's blackbird is very nice and I'm thinking of getting a ridgerunner, I've heard great things about the Warbonnet tarps too.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I've tried several combo's, but now use a Warbonnet Superfly and Blackbird.

Just got back from Scout camp using that set up and was warm and dry both nights. We had snow (blizzards on Friday setting up), hail, strong wind (that killed 2 small tents) and rain over the weekend...loved it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE