Best fish and chips

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Like I said, it's been 26 years since I've had any fish & chips over there. Are the rumors I've heard true? Have they quit wrapping them in newspapers?

Our local chippie serves them in wee cardboard boxes :)
Some use the polystyrene trays but they're real litter makers.

Newspaper is only occasionally used now to outer wrap as insulation; it's usually a sheet of white butchers paper lined with a sheet of greaseproof that's used, and as I said, sometimes a bundle of suppers wrapped in newspaper. It's really rare though, but carrier bags leave the inner papers wet.

The smell of hot vinegared chips is unmistakable :D Even if you've not long eaten, that smell can make your taste buds drool :)

cheers,
Toddy

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks Toddy. I remember getting fish & chips from the chiipie in Fairford and walking back to the dorm with them wrapped in the newspaper. And you're absolutely right about the smell. LOL.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
With all the talk of fish & chips I went to my nearest Long John Silver's and got this meal of Alaskan Pollock with fries, hushpuppies and slaw. Maybe not the same as y'all, but the only fish & chips available here in my immediate area.

My lunch today.
DSCN2237.jpg

Gordy

What are hushpuppies Gordy? I'm thinking they're some kind of fluffy potato balls?

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
What are hushpuppies Gordy? I'm thinking they're some kind of fluffy potato balls?

Hi Rich, they are cornmeal, onions and salt, mostly. Savory in taste, somewhat like corn bread. They are deep fried and different regions have different seasonings, like cajun for example. These were somewhat plain but very good.

ATB,

Gordy

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hi Rich, they are cornmeal, onions and salt, mostly. Savory in taste, somewhat like corn bread. They are deep fried and different regions have different seasonings, like cajun for example. These were somewhat plain but very good.

ATB,

Gordy

LOL. Gordon, don't forget enough milk (or buttermilk) to make it a batter.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Had fish and chips last night. Got a dreadful cold so couldn't taste them at all (and felt a bit guilty driving to get them but then it was raining really hard). My local chippie just wraps them in paper (not newspaper) so that went straight on the fire once I'd finished (including the plastic bag as I've read that burning polythene is OK)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Dropped anchor in Kirkwall, Orkney, about twenty years ago and we found a very excellent chippie near the harbour. Haven't a clue what it was called but they used real newspaper to wrap up the chips. :)

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
The chips I had in Lockerbie at the beginning of March 2009 after a gruelling charity drive took some beating.

it's a while cince i've been up to that part of the world but i do recall the chippy in lockerbie being bloody good.

not quite a chippy recomendation but, one of the pubs in the next village to me has just started doing take away food and their fish and chips are up there with the best i've ever had. it's in a village called ashover and the pub is the crispin, i'd highly recomend a visit if you find yourself passing

stuart

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
got to be said lads, inland you aint tasted nothing like fresh caught cod and whiting. (spent some time on the trawlers) so different freshly gutted and cooked. ok not your average 'drop in' :)

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Savory in taste, somewhat like corn bread.

ATB,

Gordy

That's hillarious

Did you know Gordy that almost no-one in Britain has ever eaten cornbread?

That comparison is a bit like

"what does golden eagle taste like"?

Sort of a cross between Dodo and velociraptor..... :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I eat cornbread.... made with egg replacer and soya milk :D

You're right though; when an American friend gave me a scone with my dinner I was totally nonplused. Utterly and completely confused when she called it a biscuit too :rolleyes:

We're growing corn here now, maybe we'll get used to it :)

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE