Best fish and chips

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
I hope so - all that corn I'm growing has to go somewhere....and my grain mill!

You are in for a treat, then. BR you should explore lots of goodies made from corn. An internet search should provide many recipies for cornbread, hushpuppies, Jonny Cakes, fish batter (made from cornmeal, which is the preferred batter for catfish) and since you have a mill, you should try making your own grits. :D

Gordy

Last edited:

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
That comparison is a bit like

"what does golden eagle taste like"?

Sort of a cross between Dodo and velociraptor..... :)

Touche' mate! Meet the new, non-extinct velociraptor:

The F-22 Raptor
Role Stealth air superiority fighter
National origin United States
Manufacturer Lockheed Martin Aeronautics
Boeing Integrated Defense Systems
First flight 7 September 1997[1]
Introduced 15 December 2005
Status In service
Primary user United States Air Force
Number built 168 as of October 2010 (187 planned)[2]

Developed from Lockheed YF-22
Developed into Lockheed Martin X-44 MANTA
Lockheed Martin FB-22

Oh, and we all know what it tastes like; "it tastes like victory"! :D :D :D

Gordy

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
Fish n, chips tonight troops, thinking of all you poor soles hee hee abroad who are licking their lips at the thought.

phil

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Funny you should say that ....himself is having a haggis supper :)
For those not familiar with this delicacy, the chippy fries a black pudding shaped haggis in batter and dishes it up with chips.
Son2 and I are having haloumi in crispy batter and chips.

Comfort food, it's a dreich day here.

cheers,
Toddy

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Our local chippie serves them in wee cardboard boxes :)
Some use the polystyrene trays but they're real litter makers.

Newspaper is only occasionally used now to outer wrap as insulation; it's usually a sheet of white butchers paper lined with a sheet of greaseproof that's used, and as I said, sometimes a bundle of suppers wrapped in newspaper. It's really rare though, but carrier bags leave the inner papers wet.

The smell of hot vinegared chips is unmistakable :D Even if you've not long eaten, that smell can make your taste buds drool :)

cheers,
Toddy
Hi Toddy,
our local chip shop uses white sheets of paper, it comes from Middletons which produce news print for the media industry. They use those poly trays too which are just litter imho. Got to have vinegar on me chips, no salt as i got hypertension, lol

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
If your in the Black Country (Midlands) try Our Plaice in Halesowen, old fashioned fish and chip shop frying in beef fat, won loads of awards too. You can have your fish battered deep fried, un-battered deep fried or even grilled. They do have different fish in too, like fish of the week. the other month was Bream. There's always a queue so they're doing something right.

In Cradley Heath there's Hooked on Fish, another good chippy.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
I am pretty certain that it is fact that the best Fish and Chips are from Yorkshire.:cool:

I actually believe (generally) that too to be honest, although oddly I have never found the coastal spots that good compared to some we have locally despite having them straight off the trawlers.
The Magpie at Whitby is the most over-rated chippy ever! Just an average chippy dispite the pictures of celebs on the wall

That said, the best I have ever had were from "Dicks Fish & Chips". Campbell River, V.I., Canada. They were sublime! a choice of locally caught Salmon or Halibut & I went for Halibut. Awesome!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Grits...shudder.....found something like that in my fishpond once

LOL. We get that same reaction from northerners over here. They want to eat them like Cream of Wheat or Oatmeal by adding sugar and/or milk. Grits are actually more or less tasteless alone; they need copius amounts of salt and butter added (and sometimes extras such as shredded cheese, crumbled crispy bacon, or shrimp)

All in All though we do lokie them. Definitely better than their nearest Italian cousin, Polenta.

Last edited:

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
http://www.aldeburghfishandchips.co.uk/

10/10, really the best I've tasted - I'm not local by any means - and I've been to all sorts across the country (including Whitby and what must have been the most expensive in Padstow courtesy of Mr Stein)

Portion size however, 5/10, it felt 'half size' to me - really could have done with being bigger.

Queue was amazing. Started half an hour before it opened and must have almost been 100 people long.

http://www.aldeburghfishandchips.co.uk/

10/10, really the best I've tasted - I'm not local by any means - and I've been to all sorts across the country (including Whitby and what must have been the most expensive in Padstow courtesy of Mr Stein)

Portion size however, 5/10, it felt 'half size' to me - really could have done with being bigger.

Queue was amazing. Started half an hour before it opened and must have almost been 100 people long.

1st prize for longest queues (and highest number of customers wearing Jack Wills!)

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
As others have said, the Magpie in Whiby, however it's not the only one especially when the queus are too long. I have recently spent a week there on a diet largely of fish and chips.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE