Best fish and chips

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
Right troops lets see your top fish and chip shops up and down the country. Recommendations for travelling bushies.

1 Marco,s Arbroath 9/10
2 Gina,s.Whitletts Road AYR 8.5/10
3 Anstruther southshop 8/10
4 Anstruther middleshop 8/10
5 Ullapool 7.5/10
6 Mallaig 7/10
7 Tobermory pier 7/10
Any troops around Ayr try no, 2.

phil

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
If you're ever in Harrogate, go to Graveleys restaurant. It has quite a posh seafood restaurant, but also does fish and chips to take out. You'll have to go a long way for better!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Whitby has good chippies. There is one which has stairs up to the front door and is sitdown place. Was pretty damn good when I went there as a kid. Can't remember the place but you'll spot it easy enough. It is the only chippie on the front with stairs up to the front door and also the only one with people queuing out the door, down the stairs and onto the pavement too. Or at least it was when I was there. Worth the queuing though.

I am very lucky in my nearest chippy is very good. It is one block away (2 minutes walk which seems a lifetime when you have a packet of salty/vinegary/ potatoey/fishy goodness in your hand needing eating.

There is a good one in Arnside. Another one in Bolton le sands just off the A6 (on the left up the road going off just before the lawnmower showroom when you heading south). It has won national chippy awards a few years ago but supposed to be excellent still. Another very nice and award winning chippy is in Bowerham in SOuth Lancaster area. Up the hill towards the uni of cumbria place up there.

BTW I really must thank you for this thread. I really shouldn't but all this talk of fish and chips is making me want to go out and get some for tea. I've already eaten my dinner but I have the taste of fish and chips in my mouth now so must get some. YOu know taste and smell brings up memories better than sight and sound. I think it happens the other way round too... I have a memory of the taste of my local fish and chips which has given me a false taste of it.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
They used to use beef fat all over the place. It is not just Yorkshire for that.

On an aside I once thought it funny that a few years ago I read that there was a place that had won the national yorkshire pudding competitions for a few years on a run. A champion Yorkshire pudding it was complete with trophy and prize money. The only trouble was it came from LANCASHIRE!!! Really like that because it is a Yorkshire dish and a Lancashire lass made the best ones, plus the competition between the two counties made it all the better for a Lancashire lad!! :D

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Mick you really should go in sometime. Worth it.

BTW anyone go in the one and only Harry Ramsdens before they spread around the world and started selling it in supermarkets?? I went as a kid and it was nice. Went again later and it wasn't. The difference was it had become more popular in the intervening period and standards had slipped. plus it had actually opened up overseas did HArry Ramsdens I believe and it was in Hong Kong!!

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Sorry for hogging the thread but a good example of the difference between beef fat and veggie fat is clearly shown in Settle. The one near the large carpark uses veggie fat and the one in the town square used to use beef fat. The one in the square always tasted better I think. When at Uni we used to stop there on way from Leeds to the Lakes. We used to know this and walked up to the square and missed the queues and got a better supper too!!

Itzal

Nomad
Mar 3, 2010
N Yorks
That one in Whitby - sounds like it may be the Magpie? It is indeed very popular, never bin in meself 'cos of the queues!

The Magpie is 'ok', but just ok. The fish is nice but I have had better in random chippies. It is very very very popular though, never seen a chippie so popular.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
My best fish and chips where in the Orkney's,dont know the name of it but it was on the main street to the left of the ferry terminal,it only opened a few days a week,but the batter was fantastic and the fish was the thickest and moistist ive ever had! Ive been to the Anstruther ones as well very nice but not quite as good as the above in my opinion.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Right troops lets see your top fish and chip shops up and down the country. Recommendations for travelling bushies.

1 Marco,s Arbroath 9/10
2 Gina,s.Whitletts Road AYR 8.5/10
3 Anstruther southshop 8/10
4 Anstruther middleshop 8/10
5 Ullapool 7.5/10
6 Mallaig 7/10
7 Tobermory pier 7/10
Any troops around Ayr try no, 2.

phil
whit aboot the Wee Hurry in Troon 8/10

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE