Best fish and chips

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Right troops lets see your top fish and chip shops up and down the country. Recommendations for travelling bushies.

1 Marco,s Arbroath 9/10
2 Gina,s.Whitletts Road AYR 8.5/10
3 Anstruther southshop 8/10
4 Anstruther middleshop 8/10
5 Ullapool 7.5/10
6 Mallaig 7/10
7 Tobermory pier 7/10
Any troops around Ayr try no, 2.

phil

The Plaice to Be, West Moulin Rd., Pitlochry. 10/10 (He even makes gluten free batter as an option :) )

Tortolano's, Uddingston 8/10

cheers,
Toddy

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
The chippy in Pittenweem always did a better fish supper than Anstruther. Deep sea at the top of Leith Walk in Edinburgh is very good.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Don't remember the name of it (It's been 26 years) but the only chip shop in Fairford used to be very good. This thread brings back memories. I think I know what's for supper tonight.

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
keep this up troops, taking notes. Nobody,s mentioned the one at Gairloch yet, I heard it was the DBLKS.

phil

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Who's got the most caked up chip pan then? Being married to a butchers' daughter comes in handy for endless supplies of beef dripping and meat juices for gravy :)

Best chippies I know of are scattered about in Yorkshire, Busy Lizzies in Skipton is always a good feed, The Mermaid & Hillycroft are stunning in Morley, prolly the best I've ever had was from Fish and Chips at 149 in Bridlington a couple of years ago.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Like I said, it's been 26 years since I've had any fish & chips over there. Are the rumors I've heard true? Have they quit wrapping them in newspapers?

FlyingHaggis

Aug 29, 2011
Scotland
Right troops lets see your top fish and chip shops up and down the country. Recommendations for travelling bushies.

1 Marco,s Arbroath 9/10
2 Gina,s.Whitletts Road AYR 8.5/10
3 Anstruther southshop 8/10
4 Anstruther middleshop 8/10
5 Ullapool 7.5/10
6 Mallaig 7/10
7 Tobermory pier 7/10
Any troops around Ayr try no, 2.

phil

THE only one i have tried many times is Marco's in Arbroath I had many a good chippy there while based at Condor

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
"Pepe's" off J11 - M1 (Dunstable Road opposite the Halfway House Pub) have won the National chip shop of the year Award a few times (believe the list is up on display) very rare to see it empty.

But the Chippy that sticks out in my mind I have visited is at Morcambe Bay Unfortunately it escapes me exactly where it was.. I do recall asking for 2 large cod, they said those your looking at are small, we have run out of the large (those 4 small cod were larger than any large cod I have had from any inland chippy) and those 4 cod with chips fed the 8 of us in the group were were traveling. and they were soooo enjoyable too.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
You are a bunch of :censored: ........just think of those poor Brits living abroad, hundreds of kilometers from the nearest chipie :drive:....drooling, salivating, craving reading this thread & have to make do with fish fingers & oven chips..........just ain't cricket :p.

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
chippie in whitchurch rd cardiff best in cardiff regards dave

D'you mean "Devonia"? If so, I agree with you - cracking grub, and it's been good since I was in University there at least 20 years ago, so it's no fluke!

They used to do superb rock. We would sometimes walk from our flat on Crwys Road, past at least three other chippies to go to this one.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
With all the talk of fish & chips I went to my nearest Long John Silver's and got this meal of Alaskan Pollock with fries, hushpuppies and slaw. Maybe not the same as y'all, but the only fish & chips available here in my immediate area.

My lunch today.
DSCN2237.jpg

Gordy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE