Best Dutch Oven meal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
What's the best Dutch oven meal you've had? We tend to use our ovens in fits and spurts and we've had some good meals out of them, rice and chicken, an excellent rice pudding at the Moot last year and a few other things over the years.

So, what have you found to be a good dutch oven meal and if you've got some pics and recipes that would be brilliant :D

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
So some more details if you would on heat and times, I presume you used embers for the heating, or did you use charcoal or suspend it?

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
My favorite dutch oven meal is one that I first tried back in the early 90s, while serving on my Boy Scout (BSA) district training team. It is a very simple meal and can be made with venison instead of beef, too. Usually, if I am taking one of my dutch ovens this will be on the menu. The recipe is one from the resource Dutch Oven Cooking, Second Edition by John G. Ragsdale.

Guadalupe Chili Pie

2lb ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tbsp margarine / butter
1 15-oz can chili beans
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
2 6-oz pkg cornbread mix

Brown beef and onion in the margarine in open oven. Add beans, chili powder, salt and sauce and cook for 15 minutes in covered oven.

Mix the cornbread as directed and add to top of meat and beans. Place lid on oven. Cook for 20-30 minutes, until cornbread is done.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Had a fair few Stews with Dumplings, Roasts with Potatoes, Bread, Pies,

CAnt beet a Dutchie :).. well unless its a Bird in a Dustbin :)

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
My favorite dutch oven meal is one that I first tried back in the early 90s, while serving on my Boy Scout (BSA) district training team. It is a very simple meal and can be made with venison instead of beef, too. Usually, if I am taking one of my dutch ovens this will be on the menu. The recipe is one from the resource Dutch Oven Cooking, Second Edition by John G. Ragsdale.

Guadalupe Chili Pie

2lb ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tbsp margarine / butter
1 15-oz can chili beans
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
2 6-oz pkg cornbread mix

Brown beef and onion in the margarine in open oven. Add beans, chili powder, salt and sauce and cook for 15 minutes in covered oven.

Mix the cornbread as directed and add to top of meat and beans. Place lid on oven. Cook for 20-30 minutes, until cornbread is done.

Where do you get the cornbread mix?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Or on Amazon.

or you can just make up your own; here's a recipe for cornbread mix:

-1 cup cornmeal
-1 cup all purpose flour
-1 tablespoon baking powder
-1 egg
-pinch of salt
-milk or buttermilk; enough to make a medium thick batter (IF! If you use buttermilk, add 1 teaspoon of baking soda in addition to the baking powder)
-1 tablespoon of cooking oil

If you or another diner is a celiac or has a gluten intolerance, substitute a gluten free flour for the all purpose flour and add a tablespoon of zanthum gum.

Last edited:

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
Or on Amazon.

-1 cup cornmeal
-1 cup all purpose flour
-1 egg
-pinch of salt
-milk or buttermilk; enough to make a medium thick batter (IF! If you use buttermilk, add 1 teaspoon of baking soda in addition to the baking powder)

If you or another diner is a celiac or has a gluten intolerance, substitute a gluten free flour for the all purpose flour and add a tablespoon of zanthum gum.

many thanks

cheers

Rick

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Don't forget to download you Dutch Oven calculator, available on the Android store at least.

[video=youtube;s4c-KB336Yc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4c-KB336Yc[/video]

relin

Sep 29, 2010
Chesham
Venison and chilli chocolate stew from "the wild gourmet" closely followed by a variety of game Sri Lankan slow cooked curries which tend to be my camping staple

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
my own rhubarb apple crumble with custard on top served with double cream yum regards dave

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Or on Amazon.

-1 cup cornmeal
-1 cup all purpose flour
-1 egg
-pinch of salt
-1 tablespoon of cooking oil

Oops, apologies folks. I was not thinking as to the availability of prepackaged cornbread mix in the UK. Thanks for the assist with the cornbread recipe, Dan.:cool:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Venison and chilli chocolate stew from "the wild gourmet" closely followed by a variety of game Sri Lankan slow cooked curries which tend to be my camping staple

Hey relin, have you got any more details, especially on the Sri Lankan slow cooked curries goodjob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE