Best defender improvements

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
What do you guys think are the best improvements for a defender 110? Most road miles with some off roading to get wood etc. The only time I get stuc is when I've got the trailer on so any improvements that help me in mud with the weight on the back would be good.

I'm just interested in what you guys have done, have seen etc. The landy at the moment is fairly standard 300tdi county BFG AT's. I've got my winch to put on off my old one so that's covered.

charlieh

Apr 26, 2010
Staffordshire
If your winch is a decent electric one, have a hunt about on ebay for a used lodar remote unit for it, I use mine a lot in forestry with my husky superwinch as its great for pulling timber out and trees over when felling as you dont have to be stood by the truck as they work upto 60mtrs away. I paid about £80 for my lodar unit

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Swing away wheel carrier for the spare, take all the weight off the back door, and those step-things that fit on the tow hitch, much easier getting in and out of the back.

Dave

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
The main problem with the 110 is the heavy duty (Salisbury?) diff at the back that really limits the ground clearance. Fitting air lockers would help hugely with traction as without fitting massive wheels or portals, that's still going to be a weak point in the design.

I've had my brake lines ripped off the 90 on forest tracks by loose logs - not sure how to protect against this

garethw

Settler
Best improvement for mud are a set of decent off road tires... AT's are ok I've used them on my 4x4's for years, but in the real gooey stuff they just don't clear so you end up with slicks...So despite difflocks and low range you'll get stuck.
A decent set of Mud Terrains would make a huge difference.

Other than that yes a winch could be a good option cehck out this site for info...http://www.dborc.co.uk/goodwinch/
Cheap winches are a waste of money, you need a decent one that can pull your car and the suction force of being bogged down...

A highlift jack is another useful item to have in the car as you can raise the wheels to slip mats, or branches under them...
cheers
Gareth

havocsdad

Jun 10, 2010
dorset
I'd invest in a good off road driving day, be it as a refresher or a new experience ( sorry not assuming that you know nothing of off road driving) always something new to learn or refresh! I fitted some mud rails to the drivers seat
http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/MUD_Seat_Rails.shtml
just that little bit of extra height gave me a better view ahead and mush more comfy to drive

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I'd forgotten the good old Hi-Lift, if you do get one make sure it's VERY well attached to something in/on the vehicle, it's a heavy old bit to have flying around on the rough stuff, and be sure you know how to use it, they can inflict truly terrible injuries.

Edited to add - if you can get Octobers Landrover Owner International mag there's a pretty good dvd bundled free with it, about vehicle prep, driving, navigation etc.

Dave

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
+1 with the Hi-Lift jack. I believe it can also be used as a pulling device so ticks more boxes.
I have one on my 'Must have' list although other things have taken priority so far. The swing away wheel carrier was fitted to the LR when we first purchased it as there happeded to be a little cash spare. I think it is a Manitou.
S

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
For me it was the following;

Hi-lift jack - the standard bottle jack is no fun in the woods!
Portable compressor - Nothing expensive, but a good one none the less - dropping tyre pressures will get you unstuck loads and the ability to deal with leaks, flats etc..
Swing away carrier - Only Mantec will do... :p
Decent tyres - I fitted Cooper Discoverer ST's
A lockbox - I whipped out two of the rear seats and put one of these in BareBox - brilliant!
A couple of litres of AquaSteel on those slightly rusty bits underneath...
Replaced the standard ICE with a better one and some Zero ZX4 speakers all round - gonna need that volume at speed!
A three tonne tow rope with clamps - lives in the barebox - useful during winter if your feeling generous with the BMW and Merc drivers... :drive:

Oh and a bulldog steering lock... :rolleyes:

Next will be a barecub box I think...

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
Over time the rear door mounted wheel causes the door to drop. In extreme circumstances, usually with heavier tyres, it can pull the door skin too. Off road driving speeds the process. Look for shining on the door strip.

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
I made a set of rock sliders for mine after all the pull down side steps were getting bent on the sides of the ruts !!

005-1.jpg

001-1.jpg

Last edited:

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Over time the rear door mounted wheel causes the door to drop. In extreme circumstances, usually with heavier tyres, it can pull the door skin too. Off road driving speeds the process. Look for shining on the door strip.

Oh well thats another thing on the must have list, to go with my noise killer kit and the new kbx front grille kit i just ordered, mmmmm wonder why im skint.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE