Best cordage material

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
What is everyone’s preferred cordage material?

I end up trying to make cord with whatever is available but I think my favourite is sweet chestnut, probably because it was the first I ever handled, after making 20 feet odd it grew on me!

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Nettles ... plenty of em where i am! learned that trick from my grandfather when I was a little un and it's stuck.

I've also used sinew a few times and found that impressive. How it contracts while drying is amazing.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Pictures are the bane of my life right now and I'm not the photographer of the family (the camera always seems to develop cateracts whej I try to use it!!!!). I'll add that to the list of things I need a photo of! :-D
Maybe this weekend!

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Roots of trees growing in loose loamy soil or on banks as these will be the straightest.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Makes sense ... thanks!

Is there a way of "harvesting" the roots to prevent damage to the tree?
Gary said:
Roots of trees growing in loose loamy soil or on banks as these will be the straightest.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I figure that as long as the tree you're harvesting from is a decent size and you don't take a lot of roots from one tree, it should be ok.

I always just leave a clean cut on the end and tuck it back in the soil.

Jaymondo

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 29, 2003
East Sussex
I'm with Gary on this one. Lime is brilliant. Fair amount of stinky preparation but gives a strong, flexible cordage and with long fibres it's
relatively quick to get a decent length together.

Jay

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
This is the sort of stuff that wilderness skills is about, anyone can cary para cord but few can just get on with it if they have not got it.

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
The only thing I've tried with so far is Nettles.

I think the ones I got were a bit past it though and although i managed to get two decent lengths out of them, only one was really useable.....more down to my prep than the materials I think.

Would it be better if I soaked it in something other than water? What about if I waxed it up or rubbed fat into it or something similar.

Curdog

Nov 18, 2003
Here in Michigan, we have a lot of good cordage plants- both herbaceous and woody. I like dogbane and swamp milkweed for strength, but others such as evening primrose, woods nettles, stinging nettles, and velvet leaf are also stong and pliable.

How many varieties of nettles are there in the UK? I am aware of 4 or 5 here, and all are useful.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Just ones that sting, I think!!! :-D :-D

Actually, there is a variety called White dead nettles (also called dumb nettles) that look the same but don't sting - but i never seem to fall into them!!!! :shock:

Curdog said:
How many varieties of nettles are there in the UK? I am aware of 4 or 5 here, and all are useful.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have only made nettle cordage and pig intestine cordage but i think that they seem very strong
i would love to try some different cordage, what is a good one to start with apart from the ones i have already made
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE