Best cordage for a canvas tarp?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Just got a Bilmo 3x3m canvas tarp in a trade. Any thoughts on the best cordage to use?

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I generally use 8mm Hempex (synthetic hemp, polypropylene) for the ridge, and similar in 3-4mm or paracord for guys.

I usually hook the tie-outs to the ridge with these rather than threading it through as I find it easier to set and strike that way. My guys usually have mini biners at one end for the same reason. YMMV.

Last edited:

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Anything you can use to tie it to something and which doesn't break easily? I mean, it's not exactly rocket science :p

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I generally use 8mm Hempex (synthetic hemp, polypropylene) for the ridge, and similar in 3-4mm or paracord for guys.

I usually hook the tie-outs to the ridge with these rather than threading it through as I find it easier to set and strike that way. My guys usually have mini biners at one end for the same reason. YMMV.

Thanks Ian, you make a fine tarp sir :).

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Anything you can use to tie it to something and which doesn't break easily? I mean, it's not exactly rocket science :p

Ha thanks for the advice :D. Tbh I just don't want to use my normal orange dyneema on a nice canvas tarp, need something more fashionable. What's the point in doing anything if you don't look good doing it :rolleyes:.

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
For a heavy material like canvas you'll need a tensioning system.check out tamerack outdoors for their dutchware equivalent

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE