Best compact sleeping mat on a budget.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bywrongun

Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
Hey gents, this is my first post but need some advice. I am looking for a compact mat for lightweight overnighters. I will be using a 30l pack so space is at a premium, I have been looking at uk surplus multimats but any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Hey gents, this is my first post but need some advice. I am looking for a compact mat for lightweight overnighters. I will be using a 30l pack so space is at a premium, I have been looking at uk surplus multimats but any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I got a multimat , 3/4 size, self inflatable , 4 season compatible, inch thick , the bag reverse is soft to stuff it and use as a pillow and it cost less than £20 on Amazon on special deal ...
Brilliant but of kit for ground dwelling, sits between the sleeping bag and the bivvy and it's worth every penny ...

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Assuming you want a self inflating mat (and you do, your back will thank you for it), then Multimat do one which folds and rolls up, and isn't too pricey (got a news one for a fiver in a charity shop). Dont my a surplus self inflating mat - they get used and abused, and for about the same, you can walk into any camping shop and buy a new one.

However, the thicker it is, the more comfortable it is, which is why my old Thermarest Classic from 2002 is nicer to sleep on. Its heaveir, and costs more, and is less compact, but you can roll up ones like these, and strap in a bag to the outside of a rucksack. Alpkit's Airo 180 is well regarded and not too expensive, but a look around somewhere like Go Outdoors/Cotswolds should bring up plenty of choices, and you can at least see the packdown size..

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
It depends on the budget. For me, i used to use a thermarest self inflatable, then when it started delaminating (it still inflates, but has bubbles now :p) decided to spend the money on a bit insulated sleeping pad (Vaude Norrsken). Never slept better when out camping, and that in itself made it worth the investment. It also packs up pretty small, but 30L is always a bit small unless you start going for expensive ultralight equipment.

On a tight budget, one of the cheaper Thermarest inflatables will be best i think, but it will be pretty bulky (you'll need to attach it to the outside possibly). Something like a Ridgerest will quite easily attach to the outside without worry about it getting damaged (it's a foam pad), but will be less comfortable to sleep on.

Edit: For the Vaude Norrsken, the R value is about 4,6 when fully inflated if i remember correctly. So pretty good ground insulation.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I've had a few of them. The Exped Synmats or Downmats are worth the investment. Otherwise, Multimat and Thermarest have such good foam that if you get a puncture, you still get some insulation if a hard night on the ground.

As kids we never knew about mats, just dossed on the floor. Now I'm on a Synmat 9, it's blissy. :)

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
I use a multimat 3/4 too, they do stop the cold like a closed cell foam mat but are very compact. I also put an inflatable thermarest on top which makes it just as comfortable as any matress.

They easily both fit in 1 side pouch too. If your going to spend money anywhere, spend it on the sleeping mat/bag. Makes or breaks a trip. No one likes a bad sleep.

UKYanky

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2017
Grantham
I use a multimat 3/4 too, they do stop the cold like a closed cell foam mat but are very compact. I also put an inflatable thermarest on top which makes it just as comfortable as any matress.

They easily both fit in 1 side pouch too. If your going to spend money anywhere, spend it on the sleeping mat/bag. Makes or breaks a trip. No one likes a bad sleep.

So are we saying you need a mat and a pad? Cheap foam base with a decent Thermarest on top? Ive been looking at options too on this topic and its getting a bit confusing.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
The pad might do by itself, but when you've put your self inflating mat on the ground, you can get a) possible punctures and b) the second law of thermodynamics states that heat flows from a hot to a cold body. Thats why you have the mat in the first place, to insulate you from the ground, but having an extra layer between you and the ground can't do any harm - your insulating the insulation. A cheap favourite is a length of the stuff you use to insulate the back of radiators, but an old school closed cell mat can be used as well.

So yes, cheap foam base with a decent Thermarest (or any other brand) will work a bit better than the Thermarest by itself. But you dont have to, and thats an extra thing to carry/more weight.

There are loads of guides on what mat to buy, etc, but this one looks useful http://www.cleverhiker.com/best-sleeping-pads/ , with this US site a very good source of information http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Sleeping-Pad-Reviews .

Thermarest basically invented the self inflating mat (by a couple of laid-off Boeing engineers!), so they are always popular, but there are loads of brands out there. The more you pay, the more comfortable, more insulating but less weight/bulk it is. A 30L pack is going well towards ultralight gram counting, so if you want something that fits in that bag and to be really warm, its going to cost.

Let us know how you get on.

Bywrongun

Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
I got a multimat , 3/4 size, self inflatable , 4 season compatible, inch thick , the bag reverse is soft to stuff it and use as a pillow and it cost less than £20 on Amazon on special deal ...
Brilliant but of kit for ground dwelling, sits between the sleeping bag and the bivvy and it's worth every penny ...

This sounds really good, do you have a link for the model?

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
I'm reading this thread with interest as I'm in the same conundrum. Like the OP I want a sleeping mat which is a good quality but not overly priced, I've set myself a budget of approx £50.

For what it's worth, my thoughts are:

Mountain Equipment Helium 3.8 (£45) - seems to be well made with a strong fabric and packs down nice and compact

Thermorest NeoAir Venture WV (currently on offer, £44 at Cotswold) - It's a nice 5cm thick airbed type mattres which packs down very small. It has the big brand name but I'm unsure of how warm it will keep you

Thermarest Pro-Lite (£60ish) - Prices vary but I've seen it in some places for less than £60 so you just need to shop around. As has been said this is kind of the industry standard. It's not as thick (2.5cm) as others but would you sacrifice that thickness for a mat which packs up small and has the reputation of being a market leader?

Multimat Expedition 38 (£27 for 3/4 length) - Looks like a good bit of kit. Doesn't seem to be as highly regarded as thermarest but I've not seen many bad reviews about them

Alpkit - They have a few offerings from £35 for the Airo 120 to £55 for the Dirtbag. I like Alpkit and have enjoyed using some of their other kit, the sleeping mats also get good reviews.

In terms of the foam mats, I use one occasionally when ground dwelling in the woods. In this scenario I have typically gathered some leaf litter to form a thick mattress and laid the foam mat on top. It's surprisingly comfortable and has kept me warm quite recently when the temperatures were as low as -4. I like the simplicity of the foam mat, you know that it'll never let you down. If I'm camping relatively close to the car then I wouldn't object to using the foam mat in conjunction with an inflatable mat, not sure it's always necessary to take both when backpacking it though but it depends on the individual and how much gear they're willing to carry.

Of course, if money were no object, I'd get an Exped Downmat but sadly they're out of my price range!

Good luck with your search though matey, let us know what you go for.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
It's not what you want to hear, but you get what you pay for. You can't get something cheap, small, warm and comfy. From what I saw out there anything cheap and that packs even remotely small didn't provide much more warmth or confort than the ground.
After asking here and doing my own research I ended up buying the thermarest neo air xtherm. It was a bigger investment than I wanted but it's well worth it. Getting a warm, comfortable night's sleep makes everything easier and more enjoyable.

The only thing I regret is not buying it sooner.

UKYanky

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2017
Grantham
I was thinking about buying the thermarest neo air xtherm. I know its pricey but they do get good reviews but what was stopping me was how robust are they. Im kinda worried that its easy to puncture so maybe a cheap lightweight foam mat for protection mainly would be a good idea too...

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I was thinking about buying the thermarest neo air xtherm. I know its pricey but they do get good reviews but what was stopping me was how robust are they. Im kinda worried that its easy to puncture so maybe a cheap lightweight foam mat for protection mainly would be a good idea too...

I've found it plenty robust. You'll generally have a groundsheet or bivi or tent, but even without it it's fine. It's also guaranteed and there is a repair kit just incase. I'd go for it.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
So are we saying you need a mat and a pad? Cheap foam base with a decent Thermarest on top? Ive been looking at options too on this topic and its getting a bit confusing.

The thermarest model I use has no internal insulation, it's all air (making it pack down very small and inflate to very comfy size) but because air conducts heat so well, alone it's cold. Hence I use a multi mar too.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
why does everyone always head higher up the price range to the posh new kit?

OK, heres the Real budget basement version for literally just a few quid!

I'm going to suggest what I would do on a very tight budget, infact I did do this as a scout 30 years ago with around £5!

buy 2 to 4 of the cheapest rollmats you can find, they will be too short and they will be thin.
(places like poundland/99p shop have sold them before).

Get hold of some bubble wrap or in an ideal situation the foil coated bubblewrap used as house insulation.
(you might be able to find this for free or it can be bought from DiY shops and often in Poundland/99p shops )

Buy a roll of Duck tape/duct tape/tank tape, that thick fabrc tape you can fix anything with don't worry too much about the brand, they nearly all have faults!
(again poundland and 99p shops sell it)

1) Place 2 of the roll mats on the floor to create a sleeping area long enough for you to sleep on, tape them so they stay together in this position.
2) next measure out the bubble wrap ontop of the rollmat layer. Tape the bubble wrap pieces it together to make a sort of bubblewrap mat the same shape as the roll mat
3) Tape the bubblewrap to one end of the created roll mat, (end "A") but not along the long edges.
4) copy stage 1, make a top rollmat layer, when done tape firmly on end "A" the same as the bubble wrap.
(whilst you're at it, you could add a layer of Mylar those silver survival blankets marathon runners are given, again sold in pound shops!)
5) add bands of tape going right around the 3 parts going across the finished mat this should hold it all in place.
6) roll up the mat as one, you may find you can tape along the sides if it's flexible enough, but you'l probably find it will come loose, when it's rolled up.

The top and bottom rollmats provide insulation both protect the bubblewrap from thorns and accidental and "boredom" popping.
The bubblewrap provides a soft layer much like those self inflating ones....

OK it's not going to be pretty, and the main downside is it will be bulky, but it will definately be warm and far more comfortable than many of the stiffer army mats you could buy.
If you wanted to secure it all you could make a cover for the whole "rollmat sandwich" from a folded and tucked in old bed sheet.
you could even glue or tape a thick PVC layer on the base, attatch your sleeping bag perhaps with paracord laces to the mat all of a sudden you start to head towards a Australian type Swag bag design!
and all for only a few quid!

I've used an airbed and a thermarest both with a puctures, they were not warm or comfortable nights! Yes, thermarest does provide good insulation and some when it leaks but hardly any when you're squashing a flat one!

A roll mat will always win hands down for warmth sadly they are just not as comfy!

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
RAPPLEBY2000, you yourself kinda ignore the OP where he says he'll use a 30L backpack. I doubt that thing would fit in a 60L pack even :D

Edit: this just demonstrated the old saying: Price, Quality, Bulk/weight. Choose 2.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE