Best cold weather hat????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
define cold weather? For general use, in the UK, if it's proper cold I usually wear a wool hat that mrs m knitted for me. I do own a rabbit fur cossack type hat, but it's rarely cold enough for me to need it. Most of the winter, if it's a bit milder, I wear a twead flat cap.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Assuming you are talking about UK "cold" and not proper "Nordic/Canada" cold, I am a big fan of the "mountain cap" style - sold by North Face, Lowe Alpine and others. It's basically a waterproof breathable cap with a brim with a snug-fitting ear and lower rear-head section, all lined in fleece. I am not sure if they are available in green. 25-30 pounds

NS

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I got an akubra stockman this summer, and its to hot to wear !. Only had it on 3/4 times, looking forward to it getting a little colder so i can get some use from it.

Rob

Tubbyfraser

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 4, 2008
Nowhere
Get the Woodlore possum/merion beanie. Very comfy, very warm, unbelievabl soft, lightweight and not too bad at £19.50. I love mine and anyone who sees/feels it (the hat, people!) can't believe ow warm and soft it is.

Graeme

Simon1

Nomad
Nov 17, 2005
Maidstone area in kent
Thanks top recomendations!,:You_Rock_ Sorry i was not more specific:rolleyes: , i meant the cap with the flaps that come down to keep your ears warm!!
Been camping in the winter months in the uk and found at times my beenie is not warm enough,mind you i am a skinny person,so i guess i feel the cold more than most!;)

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
For Uk type temps I'd suggest a balaclava (for a while I had my SO thinking they were called baklava hats). For proper cold I have a fur hat of traditional style (w. fold down flaps/neck piece). I have also a old fur coat I bought in a second hand shop for about UKP8, which will make at least a few hats and mittens, once I have gotten the corners of the tuit...

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i've got one of those rabbit fur Ushanka's for when the snow's falling or its really really cold!, but then i also have a big wool greatcoat too which is fantastic in the cold weather.

just your standard watch cap type thing should do you for most days though.

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
I am a big fan of the "mountain cap" style - sold by North Face, Lowe Alpine and others. It's basically a waterproof breathable cap with a brim with a snug-fitting ear and lower rear-head section, all lined in fleece. I am not sure if they are available in green. 25-30 poundsNS

Agreed, Iv got a black one that I wear, and a green-ish one thats a spare (a bit to big for me). Could post it to you so you could try that style out before you fork out on one.

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Surely one of these??

Cheers!

product_thumb5.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I just use a wool beanie/watch cap that I made from the front of an old issue Wooly Pully - £5 for the Pully which made 4 hats (1 front, 1 back, 2 sleeves) and I sewed them all on domestic sewing machine and overlocker. They are made long enough to roll down to cover my ears and back of my neck when it is realy cold.
I wear them under the hood of my jacket if it is realy cold and wet over a peaked cap if it is cold and sunny.
If the cold is realy extreme (UK standards) over a Buff worn as a balaclava (the Wool Buffs are supurb!)

LM J

Nomad
Nov 26, 2008
Cumbria
One morte option. RM sells (IIRC) the Swedish army winter hat. Not a bad choice, but might be too warm for the UK.

They're also Grade 1's of these going on Ebay for a bit cheaper than Woodlore's selling them.

If you haven't tried one though, the possum beanie's fairly versatile (I wear it most of the year round). It has two layers of wool for both extra insulation and complete ear coverage. Surivival School's is the cheapest price I've found. Or Chocolate Fish sell them in red and blue if you want to add a bit of much needed colour to your (my) wardrobe. :)

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Cold weather?

If it's going to be wet, then something waterproof but lined (G-1000 works)

If it's dry and not windy, a wooly "pipo" (bobble hat in English?) works

If it's very cold, something with ear flaps is essential.

Super cold, and you can consider anything that extends protection to face, nose, chin, etc.

EDIT: Here is me in -35 a couple of years ago:

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
Assuming you are talking about UK "cold" and not proper "Nordic/Canada" cold, I am a big fan of the "mountain cap" style - sold by North Face, Lowe Alpine and others. It's basically a waterproof breathable cap with a brim with a snug-fitting ear and lower rear-head section, all lined in fleece.

I like these but my everyday cold weather hat is a Brynje beany with SuperThermo mesh lining.

Have a look on their Brynje English language site for lots of goodies. They are very helpful, and speak excellent English - well, Margaret, who answers their email does.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I've tried various hats out when putting roofs on in winter and the best one so far has been a Thinsulate Beanie I bought from the local garage for about £3.99.

Doesn't make you look like a pillock and keeps you good and warm, its not waterproof though so you need a hood or in my case I wore a hardhat over the top of it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE