Best Bow Drill Cordage!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cottonwoodroot

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2014
Prince Rupert
Hello All!!

I am looking for suggestions for proven material that resists abrading and breaking when being used with the bow drill. When I am teaching classes to light bowdrill fires, I find that the average material will heat up and often break before a student with poor technique can achieve success. Any ideas for cheap cordage material that works well?
I have had great success with chain saw starter cord. the problem is, it's a little pricey. The advantage is it saves me time as I don't have to constantly replace bow cords. In fact, I have never had a bow string made of chainsaw cord wear out, break, or even stretch that much, even after enduring the efforts of dozens of students.

Hello All!!

I am looking for suggestions for proven material that resists abrading and breaking when being used with the bow drill. When I am teaching classes to light bowdrill fires, I find that the average material will heat up and often break before a student with poor technique can achieve success. Any ideas for cheap cordage material that works well?
I have had great success with chain saw starter cord. the problem is, it's a little pricey. The advantage is it saves me time as I don't have to constantly replace bow cords. In fact, I have never had a bow string made of chainsaw cord wear out, break, or even stretch that much, even after enduring the efforts of dozens of students.

Hi cottonwoodroot!

I use 550 lbs. nylon paracord (MIL-C-5040 Type III). I do not have enough experience with other cordage to compare it. But it works well enough for me. It may stretch a little, which means you may have to retie your bow after many uses. It is probably more reasonably priced than chainsaw starter cord.

I assume most people on the forum are already familiar with this material. But for those who may not use it, paracord is readily available in the US and reasonably priced. "Real" paracord usually has 7 inner strands. There are cheap imitations being sold so one must pay attention to the advertising. Each inner strand is about 50 lbs. test on its own. There are many field-expedient uses for the cord that you can improvise from the inner strands, the outer shell of the cord, and the entire paracord.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your search.

- Woodsorrel

---

Last edited:

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
The best stuff I have used is the pull cord from a chain saw, but as you say it's not that cheap, but I have recently been using the cordage from the IPK (individual protection kit) for about a fiver you get a good amount of cordage and I have found it last much better than paracord and does not have the issue of stretching.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
The proper paracord stuff has worked best for. me- the genuine stuff with a nice tight weave- I've had more than 25 embers out of that one bit with next to no wear and tear. I'd like to try it with natural cordage but that would be a lot harder. So for me just genuine paracord.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
I'll be honest, I'll use whatever cordage I have to hand. Whether it is a shoelace or if it is a piece of string or threads from rope etc. Best one I've used was paracord which I got from an army/navy store.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Paracord :) OD, though the white cord from the IPK kit's really, really good.

At one heritage centre they just use polypropolene rope. It's dirt cheap, it lasts well enough, and it's dead easy to change.
It works out at less than 15p a metre.

cheers,
Toddy

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I have a thick leather lace (4mm x3mm) that's been in use for years, it's my second in 10years.
I also use whatever paracord is to hand so I can't really claim that it will last 5 years but it lasts a " lot " longer than paracord!
I have thought about Raw hide but I wouldn't know where to get it from.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Rawhide is pretty easy to get hold of if you have a pet store nearby. They sell it for dog chews.
Soak it overnight and it'll unravel like a kind of too wet chamois. Open it out and let it dry a little then use one of the lace cutters to make long lengths from it (or cut it on a spiral/oval/whatever will give you longish lengths). Make it up like cordage :D and let it dry.
If you have neatsfoot oil to hand it's a good thing on it; kind of keeps it supple, iimmc.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It can be a bit hit or miss sometimes......like a ball of wool you haven't a clue how many knots or tangles or short bits might be inside.....why old women demanded hanks.
You won't know what you've got until it's soaked and opened up :dunno:
It shouldn't be expensive anyway; often the poundstores have it :)

atb,
M

cottonwoodroot

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2014
Prince Rupert
Awesome info gentlemen!! Thanks for the responses!! Just started a friction fire with another fellow this morning. His first success after trying for years!! Man, is that ever a satisfying feeling!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE