Best belt for outdoor work

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
The one i'm looking at getting is a plaited kangaroo leather belt. They are as hard as nails and last for years. I am having one brought over by some aussie friends of mine.

I use a canvas belt most of the time, i like leather more than canvas but I am affraid the buckle will catch on my climbing harness, I have one just like this

canvas_belt_fabric_belt_casual_belt_.jpg

but I like more other I have without the metal holes

Esteban

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I'm looking for a belt for outdoor trousers, would like something like a Blackhawks rigger belt. But without the metalwork. Any ideas

I'd go with leather too - you wont get a rigger belt without the rigger bits s thats what its for D

you could try one with a cobra buckle if its the hassel of how its put on that bothers you?

E

ex member coconino

Have look at 5.11 TDU belts.

Example

Keep meaning to get one, myself.

No connection etc.

Don't bother. I have one and it's hard to tighten it enough. OK for casual wear but it tends to loosen during active work. You're better off with a stout leather belt with a proper buckle and holes.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
My vote is leather every time :)

I hope your talking about belts:lmao:

Must admit I tend to use Leather belt on most trousers except the lightweights which have a 58 pattern canvas belt but mainly because they have very large belt loops. So all depends on the width of the belt loops really.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I hope your talking about belts:lmao:

Must admit I tend to use Leather belt on most trousers except the lightweights which have a 58 pattern canvas belt but mainly because they have very large belt loops. So all depends on the width of the belt loops really.

:D
I made a nice wide leather belt for use with trousers with wide belt loops.... Leather - belts - win every time for me

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Plenty of people here will make you a good strong leather belt in the width, thickness and buckle of your choice. I have several .....from plain inch and a half trouser belts to wider "over the coat" ones (Dougster did that one IIRC)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I like leather or sometimes a plain web belt such as the old military or Boy Scout belts. However if you want "something like a rigger's belt but without the metal bits" you're describing a web police uniform belt. They can be found in any of the catalogs for police/security gear. Galco Gunleather makes them(in synthetic webbing, not leather) and so does Bianchi Gunleather, Safariland, Gould & Goodrich and all the other holster companies. Are you starting to see a theme here? They are not gunbelts (although these companies make those as well) rather they are uniform trouser belts without the military metal bits; or a metal buckle for that matter (they fasten with overlapping velcro)

Gagnrad

Forager
Jul 2, 2010
South East
I had a local saddler make me a leather belt. She didn't charge that much either.

Orvis has some that look quite good—many from bison hide (don't know what that's like)—but, like all their stuff, the price is quite high:

http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/produc...at_id=5056&subcat_id=5536&page=1&StartIndex=0

Flecktarn has a few webbing belts:

http://www.flecktarn.co.uk/trouserbelts.php

Whether they've anything there that your local army surplus hasn't is another matter, but I will say this for Flecktarn, their service is good. Every time I've bought a bit of kit off them they've emailed a photo of it on the packing bench, as a reassurance to the customer that it is coming soon! That cracks me up.

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
I have the rigger belt, and while the ability to attach a safety line is useful, unless you need it the belt is incredibly heavy. dozens of differnt military/police/service belts that are much lighter weight. TDU belt might be a good alternative if you want the tac look.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE