Roll pin leather belt?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Idly eating a meal and noticed the waiter had a really cool leather belt. It used a roll pin buckle like the British Army belts but the buckle itself was probably a narrower size and with a black leather belt instead of the army nylon.

My searching reveals nothing I can find... Anyone have any ideas?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Idly eating a meal and noticed the waiter had a really cool leather belt. It used a roll pin buckle like the British Army belts but the buckle itself was probably a narrower size and with a black leather belt instead of the army nylon.

Tandy leather do single pin and double pin roller buckes; I've made a couple of belts using both in the past.

If you're prepared to use rivets and press-studs instead of stitching anyone can make a decent belt (not that stitching is that difficult TBH).

Reactions: Toddy

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

GeoffW is still making, he’ll do anything custom.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I know of a roller double prong buckle. I don't know if it's the same thing, but it's like this...
copied/pasted from eBay.

It's not 'spiked', which I think the BA ones are :dunno:

M
I have a couple of belts with those style buckles. Both of them branded Stihl (as in the chainsaws).

Problem is that I seem to have developed sensitivity to the chrome on them and it was irritating my skin.
I have recently made a new belt with a titanium buckle instead and it seems to be getting better.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mine's on a belt that holds an axe dangler thing. The double prongs help keep the belt from twisting. They're used by reenactors too, for baldrics, etc.,

Chrome can either be absolutely fine or a misery. If you're going to break out in it like that you might want to be careful with fittings that have nickle in them too.
I have to watch copper and bronze these days because I end up with green lines on me where they touch my skin. Kind of verdigris in minutes :frown:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Mine's on a belt that holds an axe dangler thing. The double prongs help keep the belt from twisting. They're used by reenactors too, for baldrics, etc.,

Chrome can either be absolutely fine or a misery. If you're going to break out in it like that you might want to be careful with fittings that have nickle in them too.
I have to watch copper and bronze these days because I end up with green lines on me where they touch my skin. Kind of verdigris in minutes :frown:
Thats basically why I went for the Titanium, kind of a shame cos I liked both of my Stihl belts. One of them is soon to be shortened and repurposed as a dog collar for my daughters dog.
The new Titanium one wasn't cheap (about thirty quid for the buckle) but as the other metal options could cause sensitivity I thought I'd try and avoid them and go for one thats generally regarded as hypoallergenic.
Also I've read that some tanning treatments can be an issue I went for veg tanned leather which I think should be better.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have to watch things like insecticidal treatments. We might have banned organophosphate sheep dips here, but other places aren't so strict about their use. Things like goat skins can be problematical.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D
Good on you :)

I like the way the conversations develop. It can be very interesting the bits and pieces that come out, often adding ideas, links and suggestions that are really helpful, that I hadn't thought of.

On t'other hand sometimes the 'sublime to the ridiculous' is all too accurate :rolleyes2:

• Haha
Reactions: Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE