Best and worst boots you have owned.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Worst boots = Reebok Pump circa 1990 high tops, leather was so soft it qualified as biodegradable, i got them at the start of the school summer holidays and they were hanging off my feet before school started back up, (at £125 me mutha was furious)

Best boots = Regatta Alpha Pro-VXT circa 2011 with the vibram soul, still going to this day and i cycle in them every rainy day on top of all other outdoor use, still fully waterproof and breathable and they get more comfortable every time i wear them, when they eventually go i'll buy the updated version, best part was the price £95 inc P+P

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Best boots:

Lundhags forest boots. High leg single skin full grain leather that breathes well and allows you to add as much insulation as you need in the form of socks: I use a cotton liner, aclima merino wool and then bison bushcraft sock. The natural fibres breathe terrifically and having done longer than six mile walks n them and not had sweaty feet is great! They have the cellular rubber cover up a few inches from the vin ram sole for extra water protection. They are superb, and sooooo comfy! :)

Worst boots:

were fake army boots, comfy to sit when you weren't doing anything in but walking they were sweaty, damp and just horrible! Cheap, so you do get what you pay for!

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.

Worst = Karrimor a few years back, fell apart in no time.

Amen to that. I can't believe they peddle such rubbish. Used to be a good brand.

My best have been Alt-Bergs, but I got a pair of Skechers waterproof for some, er, wet work late last year and they're shaping up very well. Not expensive.

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
Best in Summer for fell walking Zamberlan Trail. Best in winter Lowa Super Camps if a little heavy. Worst Berghaus from 10+ years ago. Can't remember the name but they had diamond shapes on the sole which were treacherous on wet rock.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I have small, wide feet and there are very few off the shelf boots that I can wear. Mr C. has a similar problem but his is the opposite, he has very long, very narrow feet and the only boots that fit him well are Salomon. I also dislike stiff soles. Worst ever, Karrimors which were so stiff that it felt like walking on planks. Best, my Altberg high cut made to measures which I have them make with a very flexible sole. The initial set-up costs the proverbial arm and a leg and your grandmother's soul but it was worth every penny, not least because they also made me some superb motorcycle boots (try buying bike boots when you need size 38 and you find they are all narrow with high heels and pointed toes on the assumption that women on bikes are riding pillion purely for decorative purposes).

These days I rarely use boots at all, I prefer to use trainers or even sandals most of the time unless there is a serious need for protection.

trubliphone

Mar 10, 2014
USA
Depends on the weather / terrain.

I've had the same set of Brasher Hillmasters [http://www.brasher.co.uk/catalogue/products/hillmaster-r-ii-gtx-r-b-10004cbk] for going on 14 years. These things are indestructable. When hiking through mud or dirt or water, they can't be beat.

However, I've moved to someplace with real extremes of temperature including plenty of snow half of the year. For whatever reason, those boots are horrible in snow/ice. So I've picked up a "medium-quality" set of winter hiking boots [http://itascafootwear.com/icebreaker-mens/]. I haven't used them much, but they seemed fine and kept my feet nice and warm during 3 days at -10C.

These are both are mighty heavy, though, so unless I know the terrain will be very difficult these days my hiking boots of choice aren't boots at all. Just a pair of cheap trail runners with lots of mesh in them. Into these I put very comfortable aftermarket insoles. I expect that the shoes will disintegrate after a season in the backcountry (my last ones did), but I'll just swap the insoles into whatever new cheap pair I get next year.

Jul 14, 2014
uk
Doc Martens or Cats for me for years. Comfy and they last. I've got a pair of Beta shoes ATM. Carbon toe caps = very light on the feet. Like wearing slippers.

As for spending reasonable money on work shoes? I work 4 on 4 off, 12 hour shifts. So a quarter of my life in them. More than any of my others shoes. And I've got a bit of an Imelda Marcos syndrome going on.

sum1quiet

Jul 24, 2014
United Kingdom
Believe it or not my best boots I've had are some £25 Karrimor Boulders that I bought back in 2010. Done tons of walking in them, even in the snow, and have held up really well and only had to chuck them out because they started to get a bit smelly, mainly due to my negligence. Got a pair for my partner at the same time as I bought mine and she's still using them today.

Jimmy.S.

Nov 25, 2012
Edinburgh
Disagree, best pair I have owned is a pair of Karrimor Skido boots. Great boots, and trust me I wore them alot. Comfy, even with factory insoles. Leather was hard wearing, if treated properly. They may be cheap, but they are a great pair for the price.

Worst pair.... a pair of cotton trader synthetic boots.... didn't last very long at all. Wore them on the WHW, by the time I had finished they were falling to bits.

That being said, for my time outdoors I do not feel that I require a pair of high spec, overpriced boots. The Karrimor Skido's do me just fine. If, however, I was travelling to a more rugged environment then I would definitely want something designed for that task.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Best, danners......when did they get so expensive!

Favorite, u.s issue jungle boot.....fit is perfect for me and nigh on un-killable

Worst, cheap wellies.....the devils own footwear

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE