Best and worst boots you have owned.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
Hi. As a kit freak in general and boot lover (I own no shoes or trainers). I wondered what the best & worst boots are that you have owned.

For me the best are: Altberg Defenders, for scratting about and day hikes they feel very light and comfy.

Lowa Supercamp2 for long distance hiking as I get on better with a stiffer boot when carrying a heavy pack.

The worst for me were a pair of Hitec Eurotrek, they gave me bad blisters on a long distance hike (to be fair I doubt they were designed for hefting a heavy pack), so i put them into service as a gardener and they fell apart within a month of use.

I am interested to hear your opinions as I am always in the market for a new pair of boots and it may be of use for others.:)

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Best Danners when they won't so expensive another best now are my Altbergs

Worst expensive Lunghag scouts (became sweaty wellies) and yes me also a pair of Hitecs but I forget the model.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Best were / are a pair of Matterhorn Fort Bragg's, second hand when I got them about 12 years ago and as comfortable as carpet slippers

Worst were Hi-tec Magnums - which crippled me after about an hour.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Best, a pair of kids all leather hi-tecs :) I just can't kill these boots, and they have had a tremendous amount of use and abuse. Best £24.99 I have ever spent on footwear.
Worst, a pair of NorthFace, Cathedral Pass ladies leather boots. I have littlish feet, and these are so stiff that there is no way I can get any bend across the length at all. I am beyond fed up of trying to wear them comfortable :(

Toddy

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
Best Danners when they won't so expensive another best now are my Altbergs

Worst expensive Lunghag scouts (became sweaty wellies) and yes me also a pair of Hitecs but I forget the model.

I do like the look of Danners but as you say they are expensive.

I used to lust after Lundhag boots when Survival Aids used to be at Euston stn. Along with there goretex hooped bivvy, my budget only stretched to a UCO lantern and a Credit card survival tool though! :) And the survival tool was rubbish, but I was young.

I think the Altbergs are great.

forestschoolmatlot

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2013
Wiltshire
Best all round producer are Lowa followed closely by Meindl imho.

I've had Lowa combats and deserts whilst serving and now have the Lowa tibets which are even nicer although am still waiting to see how they stand up to long term abuse.

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
Best were / are a pair of Matterhorn Fort Bragg's, second hand when I got them about 12 years ago and as comfortable as carpet slippers

Worst were Hi-tec Magnums - which crippled me after about an hour.

ATB

Ogri the trog

I had some Hi-tec Magnums I found them comfy but the only lasted me a few months before the soles started splitting.

Matterhorns are another boot on my wish list.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I do like the look of Danners but as you say they are expensive.

I used to lust after Lundhag boots when Survival Aids used to be at Euston stn. Along with there goretex hooped bivvy, my budget only stretched to a UCO lantern and a Credit card survival tool though! :) And the survival tool was rubbish, but I was young.

I think the Altbergs are great.

I bought my Lunghags from Survival Aids Cumbria and also used to visit the shop in Euston stn (Happy Days) While serving Just regretted buying them and Danners are like carpet slippers like has been said herer. I used to buy the Acadia ones but they were around £120 and the first pair were bought in the US even cheaper.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
Best, a pair of kids all leather hi-tecs :) I just can't kill these boots, and they have had a tremendous amount of use and abuse. Best £24.99 I have ever spent on footwear.
Worst, a pair of NorthFace, Cathedral Pass ladies leather boots. I have littlish feet, and these are so stiff that there is no way I can get any bend across the length at all. I am beyond fed up of trying to wear them comfortable :(

Toddy

My wife also has small feet and she gets on really well with her Hi tecs, She also has a pair of Harkila hunter boots that she picked up in a sale and she loves them too. Perhaps you could sell on the Northface boots.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My wife also has small feet and she gets on really well with her Hi tecs, She also has a pair of Harkila hunter boots that she picked up in a sale and she loves them too. Perhaps you could sell on the Northface boots.

I bought a pair of side zipped magnums :) I feel like I'm wearing my big brothers boots, they feel 'huge' but after a blistering start, they've worn comfortable :)

I think I'm up to nine pair of hiking boots :eek: when working boots take a tremendous punishing, and to have dry ones to put on the next morning is a luxury :) Three of them are truly dead, but still so very comfortable that I hang onto them.The NorthFace ones I keep trying to wear them comfortable but they're still rock hard. I did give away the bottle green Doc Martins though :) if anything they were harder than the NF ones.

M

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Best boots - Carn boots but you can't get them any more: should have bought two pairs
Worst boots - Meindl. Never had such blisters! Got a good rep but just didn't suit my feet.

Bought a pair of Lowas to replace the Carns and seem to be getting on with them ok.

DR2501

Forager
Feb 6, 2014
Bristol
Best - my current Meindl Kansas GtX - awesome boots fit me like a glove

Worst - some hitec mids can't remember which. Killed me had to call off a weekends hiking after a couple of hours - ouch!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE