Best 4x4 for rural / remote living - UK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
A few, more modern, vehicles here.
They make Yank pick-ups/ hummers look like toys
6_1_big.jpg

5_1_big.jpg

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yes they do by you don't see several hundred thousand of those vehicles on or off road. I do like them though. LOL And there are 4WD commercial trucks here as well (again, just not in large numbers) used by the power companies and such to perform maintenance in remote areas.

Last edited:

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
The orange one is a Ural and there are thousands of them going off road on a daily basis in the former eastern block countries.
Far better than land rovers or Jap trucks.

p.s I own a Land Lover Discovery 1, so know Land Rover limitations and pitfalls.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The orange one is a Ural and there are thousands of them going off road on a daily basis in the former eastern block countries.
Far better than land rovers or Jap trucks.

p.s I own a Land Lover Discovery 1, so know Land Rover limitations and pitfalls.

Sorry I just re-read my post. I meant to say "hundreds of thousands" not "hundreds." I'll edit that now but I didn't want said edit to look like I was undermining your post.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2011
I can see that people feel very strongly about the hole 4x4 issue every one has there favourite and stands by it. I see no one has a Unimog I hear that thay are realy good offroad. if you have to move a forest that is. not much use if all you have is two gundogs to move.A bit big for day to day use. I love my landy had the same one for 10 years now it is a ( P redg ) 147,000 miles on the clock can not waight till it is 25 years old no more roadtax to pay. It has never let me down no matter the weather. so I am very biased on the hole 4x4 issue

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I can see that people feel very strongly about the hole 4x4 issue every one has there favourite and stands by it. I see no one has a Unimog I hear that thay are realy good offroad. if you have to move a forest that is. not much use if all you have is two gundogs to move.A bit big for day to day use. I love my landy had the same one for 10 years now it is a ( P redg ) 147,000 miles on the clock can not waight till it is 25 years old no more roadtax to pay. It has never let me down no matter the weather. so I am very biased on the hole 4x4 issue

Maybe with gundogs (if you mean bird dogs) but most deer hunters here use full size pick-ups (2WD or 4WD) with a kennel built into the bed for their deer dogs. And they're still the most common vehicle for everyday use. Almost half of ALL vehicles sold for private use in the US are pick-ups (with the majority of those being full sized)

Last edited:

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire

Sorry to burst that bubble brother, but that was one of the first things fat gordy binned when he came into power in 97. The 'rolling 25' is no more.

Your car has to be registered before the 1st January 1973 to qualify. No exceptions.

My track car (although I keep it road legal) is 21 years old. It'd be nice to have it road fund exempt, but sadly, not going to happen, so I feel your pain.

Oct 24, 2011
Oooo no not just burst my bubble I was realy realy looking forward to it. I already hate Gorden Brown did you know that he lost more money than the houseing bubble and the banking bubble added together when he ordered the bank of England in 2006 or 2007 to sell 6 tones of ower gold reserve when world gold prices was at there lowest for 30 years and only mounths later gold prices went through the roof thay think he cost the tax payer £900.000.000 in lost revenue. the man needs hanging

Oct 24, 2011
If you are talking about the US. Pickup are as American as apple pie but in the UK not so popular as it rains a lot more and we would have to have a hardtop on all the time. plus I hear thay are big CC's 5 and 6 lt engines I know you have cheep fuel over there. $3.43 a gallon in the UK it would cost us $8.88 a gallon( £1.41 UK fuel price a litter = $2.22 x4 = $8.88 there are 4 litters to the gallon )So US pickups would cost to much to run in the UK My landy dose 30 mlies to the gallon and that is poor in the UK most people get between 35-45 miles per gallon out of there cars. How much dose a US pickup do to the Gallon on average? It costs me £40.00 for a quarter of a tank of fuel that's $68.18 and it lasts me about 13 days then back for more. God I wish I owend B.P. I would buy Alaska and then ban cars for the peace and quiet.
Maybe with gundogs (if you mean bird dogs) but most deer hunters here use full size pick-ups (2WD or 4WD) with a kennel built into the bed for their deer dogs. And they're still the most common vehicle for everyday use. Almost half of ALL vehicles sold for private use in the US are pick-ups (with the majority of those being full sized)

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If you are talking about the US. Pickup are as American as apple pie but in the UK not so popular as it rains a lot more and we would have to have a hardtop on all the time. plus I hear thay are big CC's 5 and 6 lt engines I know you have cheep fuel over there. $3.43 a gallon in the UK it would cost us $8.88 a gallon( £1.41 UK fuel price a litter = $2.22 x4 = $8.88 there are 4 litters to the gallon )So US pickups would cost to much to run in the UK My landy dose 30 mlies to the gallon and that is poor in the UK most people get between 35-45 miles per gallon out of there cars. How much dose a US pickup do to the Gallon on average?

Your sums are a bit wrong there PB... the US gallon is actually 20% smaller than a UK gallon and there's approximately 4.55 litres to a UK gallon and 3.78 litres to a US gallon so your landie would do even less miles to a US gallon.

Makes a change for the americans not to have something bigger than the British :rolleyes::lmao:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If you are talking about the US. Pickup are as American as apple pie but in the UK not so popular as it rains a lot more and we would have to have a hardtop on all the time...

plus I hear thay are big CC's 5 and 6 lt engines I know you have cheep fuel over there. $3.43 a gallon in the UK it would cost us $8.88 a gallon( £1.41 UK fuel price a litter = $2.22 x4 = $8.88 there are 4 litters to the gallon )So US pickups would cost to much to run in the UK My landy dose 30 mlies to the gallon and that is poor in the UK most people get between 35-45 miles per gallon out of there cars. How much dose a US pickup do to the Gallon on average?

On the 1st point, hardshell covers are popular here too. www.americancampershells.com

On your second point, mine gets about 12-16 MPG with American gallon (that would be about 15-22 MPG with Imperial gallons) The bigger diesel engines get about 50% better though (so it would be about 22-33 MPG with a bigger diesel measured in Imperial gallons) I believe the newer ones that shut down 4 cylinders (half the cylinders) at highway speeds do a bit better still.

Of course mileage is dependent upon the load among other things so a fully loaded truck (or one pulling a trailer) would suffer more.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2011
Did not know that very interesting. Do you know why yours is smaller as I thought that a gallon was a gallon but I stand corrected This is why I joined a forum in the first place as you find out new things all the time. Filling in the blanks in my knowledge is my number one favourite thing to do weather it is in bushcraft or anything else.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
@ PaganBushcraft:

It starts out the same (with the teaspoon) and remains the same through the tablespoon and the ounce. But when we get to the cup, an American cup is only 8 ounces vs an Imperial cup being 10 ounces. After that they retain the same progression (2 cups per pint, 2 pints per quart, and 4 quarts per gallon) but obviously each successive measure is smaller here because of the base difference of the cup. I really don't have any idea why the difference though.

That's also why our GI canteens are smaller than the British ones (our quart is smaller)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE