Berghaus Vulcan Mod

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
W

woodlanduk

Hi,

Nice job... Here's the RVOPS mod on my Vulcan... for comparison... Yours is as good...better in fact as you've added the fastex clips for a PLCE pouch to clip into....

DSCF0109.jpg

With Standard PLCE side pouch in place

DSCF0112-1.jpg

Showing the Zips...

It's a good mod turning a monster bergen into a gargantuan bergen.... I've used it with all 3 outer pockets and a reasonable load in it this winter on a trip above the snowline and it was a beast to carry. The only minor inconvinence I found with the 3rd pocket attached was getting acess to my Ice axe but it was manageable...

I'd like to do a couple of mods to mine.

1. Add in a small internal pocket like the old Cyclops Roc and Crusader had as that was very useful....

2. Suss out a way of getting the lid to compress down when the bergen is less than full. I tend to use it with the pockets a lot as it's handier dipping into those than the main sac. Berghaus in their wisdom have sor of fixed the amount of compression you can get with the closure straps. one fix I've been doing is rolling the lid up and using the fastex clips on the roll mat straps on top to clip the lid closed... More adjustment on the main straps would be better.

OK let me start by saying im new to the computer chat sort of thing,so ill just ask and hopw someone replys.
Q..... What is the most weight carried in the vulcan while on ops without any problems of breakage or tearing,my old PLCE burgen has finally had its last repair after 19 years of abuse its got more stitches than me now, all i can find are good reports ar there any bad points i should be looking at before lashing out around £150:00 and yes it needs to be green not bleeding any kind of dayglo colours i do not want to stand out like a Bulldogs B******s even though its been 26 years since i was "in"
chears Tony..

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Tony you wont go wrong with a vulcan its far better made than a PLCE bergan and has been in production longer 1982 I think ,

Make certain you get the right back size for you as there are four sizes .

Before people say its to big you can always remove some pouchs if needed ..

Twodogs

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
OK let me start by saying im new to the computer chat sort of thing,so ill just ask and hopw someone replys.
Q..... What is the most weight carried in the vulcan while on ops without any problems of breakage or tearing,my old PLCE burgen has finally had its last repair after 19 years of abuse its got more stitches than me now, all i can find are good reports ar there any bad points i should be looking at before lashing out around £150:00 and yes it needs to be green not bleeding any kind of dayglo colours i do not want to stand out like a Bulldogs B******s even though its been 26 years since i was "in"
chears Tony..

Tony,

As Twodogs says the Vulcan is a great bit of kit. Well made and 500 times as comfy as a PLCE issue Bergen. It will not let you down...

I got mine from RVOPS and it comes as standard with the add on Zips for the 3rd pouch. They also have great service...

W

woodlanduk

OK guys a big thank you for your replys,and its here, brand new and straight from RVOps in Plymouth, i would just like to say a big BIG thank you to Andy and the lads down in Devon .I ordered it Monday and less than 24 hours later its here at the door, so far ive taken the Burghaus jet packs off and replaced then with the 2 new and one old 15 ltr PLCE jet packs giving it a possible 125 ltr capacity not that i will fill it to the brim and to the question of size its a 2 as im a short **** at only 5'7" tall but can quite easily carry 70-80lbs for 10 miles and stop for a brew just to then carry on,all be it getting a bit harder nowadays hmm 44 now ,damn this getting old but still think im18 :lmao: ok ill give you a bit more info when ive loaded her up and given her a trial up on the local hills in Surrey.should be good enough for a test.

W

woodlanduk

yes i know.....what was wrong with the Vulcans own side pockets ?..well NOTHING but i wanted to see how she handled the 3 old PLCE pockets i loaded her up with about 85lbs and toddled off into the woodland of surrey for a little light mooching about up hill and down valley pick up some water and off again nothing major about 8 Ks in total then bivvied up for a rather wet and very windy night 65Mph Gusts brought down a couple of trees the closest of which was about 18 mtrs away, oops Deadfall anyone? :lmao:....
as for the Bergen well its as sweet as a nut if i had more time and didnt have things to do during the week i could have stayed up there for a good 7 days with what i had, and that was with 3 meals a day and plenty of hot drinks with water on site a survival situation would have been down to a silly mistake or Mother Nature being a little ****** off at me.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Sorry for dragging up an old thread but what was the rough cost to get plce zips put on the front of the vulcan? As I fancy doing it mine and putting a karrimor sidepouch or double omi, just so I can get to little bits quickly

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
Sorry for dragging up an old thread but what was the rough cost to get plce zips put on the front of the vulcan? As I fancy doing it mine and putting a karrimor sidepouch or double omi, just so I can get to little bits quickly

I got my zips from Kevin Endicott (Endicott's Surplus in Exeter) for around a fiver, I think, then just hand stitched them on myself. I don't know how much a seamstress would charge but it is not hard to do. Endicott's is open today until around four, and will post items quite reasonably if your interested, the number is 01392433331.

Usual caveats apply, I do not work for or guarantee Endicott's customer service or goods, I am just a happy customer who has spent far to much in that store, along with half of BCUK.

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
Sorry but not sure why you would add zips onto your pack, if you already have two side pouches on you only need to undo the zips furthest from your back and another side pouch will zip between the others. Saves weight and money :)
Colin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE