berghaus- vulcan vs. crusader?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
in 2012 i had posted this thread about a new large backpack:

www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92712&highlight=

back then my plans changed and the purchase did not happen... and for the last year i believed i would not need another large pack as i thought i'd find a place to settle down (yes... i know... foolish...)... . sadly one month ago reality caught up on me and 2days ago i found out that my old pack suffers from another damage which i cannot fix myself: the rather cheap plastic element which forms part of the hip belt/ suspension system has cleanly broken so the days of my current pack are clearly numbered and i need a new one soon... (not what i want/need to hear right now on top of my other disappointments)

from the replies to my old thread the berghaus vulcan seemed a winner to me and it still looks like a good one now. i just checked out berghaus' website: there seem to be several versions of the "vulcan" but i'm not sure which one is currently still in production... the volume is listed as 100litres but i do not know if this means in total or without side pockets (i cannot find their volume listed)...
there is also the "crusader" with a volume of 90l +20l sidepockets (=110l in total)- it seems to have some attachment points to tie gear to the outside (although i'm not a big fan of doing that) BUT it seems to have a second access to the main compartment with a zipper (never needed that feature and consider it only a weak point...)

any opinions/experiences?!

(i'm also open to other options except kifaru (too pricey) and the north face (personal reasons) as long as i can get them here (=i'm back i south korea for 3month))

thanks and a happy new year to everyone!

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I own 2 crusader 90+20 packs they are simply awesome, i checked out the vulcan before i got my first crusader and the main reason i went for crusader was the not so favourable reviews from military personal about the vulcan, these were mainly folks moaning that their crusader had been replaced by a vulcan and they were not happy and most of the displeasure came from the lack of molle attachment areas on the vulcan compared to the crusader.

After 2 years of solid use of both packs by me and my brother the things i rate highly are, the support of the structure when carrying a load, the side pockets zipping together to make a smaller pack, the shoulder straps and waist belt and buckles, the zips are some of the chunkiest zips ive ever seen, the internal pocket for a hydration bladder (hold my 3ltr camelbak no problems) and passages for the drinks tube on either shoulder, the separation ability of the internal areas, the hood and the multiple zipped pockets it contains, the size, the position of it on your back when loaded up and how secure and stable your load feels when moving about, the molle attachment points (i hang lights mostly on mine when cycling), top and bottom access to the main body of the pack the zippers on the bottom access area are chunky as hell, Berghaus customer service is amazing i lost one of the shoulder straps to convert the side pockets to a smaller pack and contacted Berghaus to try and buy a new set and all they asked for was my address and they sent out a set free of charge, they didn't even ask for proof of purchase.

In fact thinking on it now i haven't got a single complaint about them and if they ever broke i'd get another at the drop of a hat, i can't see them ever breaking though as we have pout them through some real abuse and they look and feel the same with no signs of wear and tear after 2 years use camping, cycling, hiking, kayaking and doing my weekly shopping on my cycle.

As i own 2 i vote twice for Crusader

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Having used a Berghaus Vulcan to the point the point that she's worn out. She certainly did me proud. Sure at over 3kg a Vulcan is a heavy beast. But you can load it up with 35kg without much issue. Most of that load can transfer onto your hips with relative comfort. Where mine has died is where the top of the frame sits. It's worn through the fabric there.

What do you need to carry? how much do you need to carry? Have a look at the Exped bags as another option.

Oh, and the 100L of the Vulcan is based on an 80L + 2 x 10L side pockets. If you use PLCE pockets that becomes 80L + 2 x 15L. I've in the past clipped one of the 10L pockets on the front from the daisy chains, giving me 130L of capacity (also worn with PLCE webbing). These days my feet, legs and back don't like me doing such stupid things and I've settled on a 60L pack (Exped Lightning 60).

J

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I got rid of my vulcan because I never liked the separate compartment in the main sack. The internal zip always go in the way, believe they both have this now. The original crusader didn't.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
The crusader internal separator is a baffle and drawstring no zippers, it is an exact repeat of the baffle at the top of the main compartment that seals the whole pack

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
thinking back to the 90's so was the vulcan I had. The problem was they used to catch on the bivi bag and sleeping bag i used to like to stuff down to the bottom together. This was ok on the mark one crusader a mate had but not on the vulcan so I give it away. We both used the bergans so you put the sleeping bag inside the bivi bag and stuffed at the bottom ready to be used late at night or quickly after a full days walking.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I do similar with the crusader and then i can get my sleep system in and out by the bottom access without emptying the whole rucksack, i can imagine how internal zips would be a PITA, with the drawstrings fully loose on the crusader the whole internal chamber is one long smooth compartment of the same width all the way down, you can even remove the pouch that holds the hydration bladder if you need to, i find it handy to use as an easy access little objects pouch if i am not using a water bladder

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I can see why you liked that way. Me being the awkward bu---- liked one access only (less to go wrong or break) and inside had 3 items as such - food bag, a kit bag and then the Sleeping bag inside the bivi. So in the dark it was simple to get this out and spread under the stars without the need of a torch or much else or any fuss. Still try and do this today when able to get out that is.

Having used a Berghaus Vulcan to the point the point that she's worn out. She certainly did me proud. Sure at over 3kg a Vulcan is a heavy beast. But you can load it up with 35kg without much issue. Most of that load can transfer onto your hips with relative comfort. Where mine has died is where the top of the frame sits. It's worn through the fabric there.

What do you need to carry? how much do you need to carry? Have a look at the Exped bags as another option.

Oh, and the 100L of the Vulcan is based on an 80L + 2 x 10L side pockets. If you use PLCE pockets that becomes 80L + 2 x 15L. I've in the past clipped one of the 10L pockets on the front from the daisy chains, giving me 130L of capacity (also worn with PLCE webbing). These days my feet, legs and back don't like me doing such stupid things and I've settled on a 60L pack (Exped Lightning 60).

J

the backpack will be mainly used to carry my "household" (=my worldly belongings) around the world (=semi-nomadic lifestyle), hence the need for a large pack with heavy-load carrying ability--- i do not intend to carry 25+kg around the mountains (anymore)- been there, done that and it"s hard work...

to GGTBod: can you attach things to the outside of the crusader under the sidepockets(=hidden from view)?!- i do not want to get too much attention whith my axe and parang when moving in public....

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
There are no molle attachments on the underside of the side pockets, there are expandable side attachments on the side of each pocket and on the sides of the main body under where the pockets attach if you are not using them, there is an axe specific spring loaded plastic buckle axe holders across the back of the pack

You can see the axe holders clearly in this image attached to the top run of molle webbing on the back, i have never had a single comment ever about having my sheathed axe mounted on the rear of my pack, it is only a small one though

Crusader_90_20_Coyote_34644_left_profile_-_web.jpg

These are the attachment points on the side of the side pockets, the exact same is on both sides of the main body under where the pockets attach, they expand out enough to easily hold a rollmat and fasten tight enough to hold trekking poles

berghaus-mmps-pockets.jpg

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I suppose you could fasten the axe and parange on the attachments on the side of the main body of the bag under the pockets and then zip the pocket on hiding the stuff attached to the main body, never thought of doing that before, cheers

I suppose you could fasten the axe and parange on the attachments on the side of the main body of the bag under the pockets and then zip the pocket on hiding the stuff attached to the main body, never thought of doing that before, cheers

that's (sort of) what i do with my current pack- there is a small pouch on the bottom of each side, i presume it was meant to carry ski/walking poles between side pockets and main compartment but it works well for axe and parang, too(both "live" in nylon bags to disguise their shape a bit) so i can walk even through central tokyo or seoul and nobody knows that i carry edged tools around...

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Thats what I used to do strap the machette to the gap between the outside of the main compartment and the side pouch covered in a sandbag i would later use for my rubbish. As the bergen got lighter it then went inside.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
Depending on how full the Vulcan is I would slot the axe down the same side as a pouch and the fishing rods the same on the other side. It's rare I have the pouches fitted and usually fit the axe in the bergen with the tip of the handle poking out.

some more (daft?!) questions: according to their website the crusader comes in different sizes, depending on the back length--- how do you measure/calculate that?! :confused:(i presume the hip belt comes only in one size...)
the material is listed as ""tough textured nylon""-- what exactly is this supposed to mean in terms of thickess? and is it ripstop or not...:confused:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
yip sizes on berghaus website i'm 5.11 and own a size 2 and a size 3 and both are totally comfortable fully loaded, waist belt is one size but adjustable from a 50inch waist to a 28inch waist, chest strap is adjustable and elasticated, material is seriously tough i'd say stronger and thicker than ripstop, no damage or stretching after 2 years of abusive use at times literally crammed full crushed in the boot and dumped on the forest floor when exhausted, when covered in mud just allow to dry and brush off leaving no trace

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury

That's where my machete has always lived, it is easy to get at whilst wearing the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE