Bergans Dermizax?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Just saw some jackets from Bergans in the local outdoor shop and had a look in their catalogue. Apparently most of their gear uses a Dermizax membrane, which should be wind proof, waterproof and "breathable". So basically the usual marketing talk for any modern waterproof technology...
Does anyone know if this is any good? How "breathable" is it? Does it come close to G1000 or ventile? Is it even less breathable than Goretex?
And what about Bergans' other products? Good old Norwegian quality or not?

Thanks in advance!
Lasse

Shepard

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2006
Norway
Cheers!

Their Ally Canoes(sp?) are world known for their quality, ease of repair and usefulness.

All products are made in China now, they`ve had some QC problems before, but seems to have got on top of this years back.

Their outer fabric was used(membrane less) in the Arctic Ocean 2000 expedition, and got high regards from their users. My old black 2 layered Breheimen which is ten years old has a lot use left, but unfortunately too hot for summer use.

The Dermizax is stretchable 200% both ways and that makes it very tough imho.

By heat treating the outer fabric around 10 mins in a tumble dryer or ironing reactivates the DWR, so TX10 isn't needed until worn out and therefore makes it more breathable than other tex materals that needs impregnating. It takes salt,dirt, and ordinary washing powder which ordinary Tex don't like so its more forgiving to maintain. Of course hand wash, luke warm water, mild soap, minimal centrifuge helps longevity too.

Most people Ive talked with feels its as breathable as Gore-Tex or more.

Of course since its a local brand a lot of sales can be found and therefore increases its local popularity.

But all in all good kit, bit heavy but durable.

And with their newest color schemes you can go to the disco without changing :yuck:

Nothing much breathes as well as ventile. My G1000 copy which is highly impregnated to withstand rain/snow doesn't breathe very well, but was cheap and hard wearing.

Good luck

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
I`ve used a Bergans with Dermizax for about 6 years now. The membrane is tough, but is it "breathable"?
I get wet from the inside when working hard. Not as much as with a rain jacket but pretty wet. That is why there are zips under the arms I guess:) .
I don`t know if it is like Gore-tex because I don`t own a jacket with Gore-tex
Still, I like the jacket. It holds me dry when it rains and holds the wind out when it blows.
That is pretty much what I need.

Tor

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Dermizax isn't bergans own material, it's manufactured by a japanese company and i s used by other outdoor clothing brands as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE