bending wood for carving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
Hi guys,

Is it possible to heat/treat/steam small piece of wood for bending, ie to put a kink in a ladle or spoon.

Seen steaming being done on planks to soften for boat running boards, but can this or similar be done on a small scale ?

Or do i have to just find bent wood to carve from ?

L

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Depends on how much bend you need. Most hardwoods can be heated above 400° F and easily bent. You will need to clamp it to a form with a little extra bend to retain the shape you want. If you are making many identical items this is the best way.
I have used steam to heat the wood and a microwave also works well for small pieces. Dry heat will work, you just have to be careful not to scorch the wood.

If you only want one piece it may be easier to find a bent stick.

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
Thanks Weaver -

Think ill try the microwave. - Just found via google reference to wrapping piece in wet kitchen towel to steam in microwave should do it.

You mention clamping - I take it then i should expect piece to spring back to original shape if not clamped while pliable/hot ? ( and not stay in its new position like a piece of clay ! )

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Although I have steam bend wood for boat frames and bows, I have not tried on small objects, I don't see any reason why not. The general "rule" is !/2 hour per 1/2" of thickness, but that depends on how much moisture there is in the wood, the more moisture, the easier it will be to bend and the shorter time you'll need.
Avoid kiln dry wood, as the moisture has been cooked out of the wood and it's not much good for steaming. The other problem you may have is if you steam bend a spoon, and put it in hot coffee or soup later on, it may well straighten up again :D . . You could try using a kettle and see if the wood you have will take to it. If it's Ash or Oak it will bend easily, unless you have "interesting" twisty grain :eek: You probably will find it's not worth the bother on a small object. Steam is also dangerous, it will scold you instantly :( You do so at your own risk :D

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Ok so wrapping up in a wet tea towel and nuking for 2 minutes certainly make this piece fairly flexible and was going so well until over confidence took me past its breaking point.

Alas my ladle is now condemmed to learning curve.

My next will be perfect !

Loz

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE