Belt wear (as in what to)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
:lol: yeah, they are long wearing. In fact, the three or so pair that I wear in bush are all over 5 years old and enough wear has occured that they are soft and very comfortable. I like the German issue moleskin cargo's in OD too. They are a little stiff going in, but after several washings and dunks from wading across our several streams and rivers in this area, they soften right up. :)

quarterstaff

Aug 5, 2004
uk
I have found the maxpedition line to be very good for belt type carry.i will post a pic in the gallery of my set up.Any suggestions or questions feel free.
cheers
mmm no i wont as i dont have permission :?:
DCP_0904.jpg

here goes
cheers tom tom

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
quarterstaff you can use the BCUK photobucket to host your picture.. i will PM you the details momentarily.. then you just need to link it to here.

woodrat

Forager
Dec 31, 2004
Oregon U.S.A.
just finished assemebling a new belt kit for day hikes, used bulgarian military surplus pouches on a e. german surplus belt. going to try it out this week let you all know how it goes.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
i was always a belt kit wearer, but i don't anymore.

my personal advice is this, if you feel comfortable about it then use it, i find it great for walking climbing through thick undergrowth, ect but not so great out of the woods.

it was the transition from suburb to woods that always bothered me, enevitably someone will say "you think you're in the army" but it's up to you.

i now only wear a very small belt kit sometimes nonly resorting to my rucksack.

the clincher is this:

after your walk you may have to use public transport or buy food or drinks.
do you still want to be wearing it/carrying it?, cause yopu can't leave it outside!

as i say, it's up to you and for years(16 in total) i always used webbing but somehow it dosen't seem needed anymore.

on the plus side there are fantastic designs, very lightweight ergonomic ect but if it's military it usually looks it! your choice! :?:

I also use military load bearing gear.

One of the aspects that I like about it is that I can layer stuff. Not sure how familiar any of you are but in mil terms it's referred to as the 1st, 2nd, & 3rd line. 3rd line is your pack or ruck with your "snivel gear" (shelter, food, clothes {and for mil use, extra ammo, radio, etc.}), 2nd would be your webbing with your ammo, grenades, water, knife, first aid kit, 1st line is what you carry on your person or in your pockets, your absolute last ditch survival stuff.

But certainly that idea can be utilized even in a civvy setting. While I really don't need to carry a war load, I do like using chest webbing (I currently use a Tactical Tailor MAV with an X-Harness. Another idea is the SOTech Hellcat. Although I am making myself one that has more of the features I want.) for the simple reason that it makes stuff very easily accessible when seated in a vehicle or canoe, and even when walking, and it's also pretty handy on a bike. I carry all my first aid stuff, my knife, saw, pruning shears (I guess you guys call them secateurs), Leatherman, binos, camera gear, maps, GPS, compass, a pouch with some gorp, gloves, water bottle and mug, flashlight, a pouch with some survival gear, and a pouch with a few misc. odds & ends. This is all stuff that for the most part I want to be able to access quickly. Also, having it up on my chest means that it isn't going to interfere with the waistbelt of my pack. Another aspect of a chest rig that I like is that it spreads the weight out around my torso. Rather than having thirty pounds on my back, I have twenty on my back and ten on my chest.

Now with the chest rig, and my first line gear I can for the most part manage pretty well. If we go scouting around I'll ditch the pack and just use the chest rig. I can expand on it a little by taking a stand alone Camelbak with a poncho and liner strapped to it, and a little bit of food in it.

For longer term outings I can choose from a number of packs to expand my load carrying ability.

I also have a Kifaru Scout which bridges the gap between 2nd and 3rd line gear. I am getting a Kifaru Pointman and the Scout can be mounted on it, and easily detached to serve as a grab it and go bag. The belt of the Scout also allows me to mount some pouches with Malice Clips, and it still wouldn't interfere with my chest rig. The chest rig and the Scout together give me ample carrying ability.

Yeah I feel a bit awkward carrying it around when sheeple are about, but oh well. When I get really close to "civilization" and "looking normal" becomes important, I can just take the chest rig, and attach it to my pack. Then it just looks like a really big military pack with pouches all over it. If some dumbass gives me a hard time about it I can just say that I build this stuff and have to test it out. Which really is true. If some one is stupid enough to call the cops because there is some big guy walking around with army gear on, the cops really couldn't do anything about it. Nothing I carry is illegal, so there. :nana: It hasn't happened yet, but life was so much easier when I was living up north and I could disappear into the bush for days and never see anyone. Now I'm living closer to Babylon and I have to contend with more people. Sigh.

Like I said I like the layering aspect of it. I can go light or heavy. Modularity is the way to go.

Oh yeah, the best place on the net to find out about all this stuff is Lightfighter.net. Have to register to look around, but if you want to know what is being produced and how it is being used, the place to go.

Bog Trotter

Feb 9, 2005
Manchester, UK
As a Backpacker, I LIKE YOUR STYLE.
The layering system, whether military or not, is sensible.
First Aid and Survival Equipment belong in an accessible place on your person.
Thanks for your input and info' :chill:

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
This isn't the first time I have come across the layering system. A couple of close friends in the mil have told me their variations on it. Most common is the tac vest holding their first line gear, worn under the combat jacket. This leaves the combat jacket pockets free for grenades etc, then the webbing and the bergen.

Got the box out last night containing the kit to find most of it missing :?: maybe I will have to have a midnight manovours of the QMS!!! :naughty:

woodrat

Forager
Dec 31, 2004
Oregon U.S.A.
I totally agree with explorement, the layered system is the way. I have been using it for years[ always called it the component system], anyway what he said is the tickit! and as far as civilians reactions, so what!! they don't sign my paycheck so I could'nt care less what they think!! been hassled by cops once or twice but I give them the penny tour of my gear, and if they still have a problem its there problem, I'm not carrying anything illegal so they can get lost.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Ditto that, have used it in various forms since I was about 10. Now I like to have things in packages, for example I will take my possibles pouch everywhere, but say I want my camera too I will get the pouch and my camera bag and put them in a daysack. Then I might want some food, so I get a food package and put it in one of the pockets, etc etc. In this way I just add another package when I need more, and I can perhaps leave a big bag at base camp and take a day's worth of package with me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE