belt and disc sander

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Looking for a new belt and disc sander,ive had the 4" one but fancy the smaller 1" wide belt version like the picture.Ive found the axminster 180w and clarke 300w versions but is there any other companies make them??Found this rexon version but cant find anywhere to buy one.
rexon_sander.jpg

realearner

Forager
Sep 26, 2011
kent
Got admit I just bought one from Axminster tools, they are local to me and it was Xmas money. Been playing with it to day and so far very happy.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The small ones your looking at are ok, they will do the job, just not as quickly or as easily as more powerful units.

Whats its going to be used for? Knife work?

realearner

Forager
Sep 26, 2011
kent
is that the AW130BD2 you got mate,180w motor etc

Think so, only classified as hobby. And also had the last one of the old type, new ones are the same but with some red paint? And will be dearer. Mine was a tenner cheaper as on display.

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Yes it would be,i really fancy having a go at my first knife ever from scratch!Ive scaled/pimped many but never ht'd etc.

'p.s i'll leave the technical ff to you':D

The small ones your looking at are ok, they will do the job, just not as quickly or as easily as more powerful units.

Whats its going to be used for? Knife work?

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Think so, only classified as hobby. And also had the last one of the old type, new ones are the same but with some red paint? And will be dearer. Mine was a tenner cheaper as on display.

And they charge £10 more for that splash of red;)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Well, none of them are going to be special, get the most powerful one you can, or you will stop the belt with not much pressure.

I still use an axminster belt grinder for a lot of my work, its got an 800w induction motor and i can still stop that. Cost about £250, and its my most used grinder, great for bevels and handle shaping. personally i'd save to double your budget, and get 20x the machine. Its not 1" belt, but i've used one to make nearly all my knives since 2009

This one here, though it looks like thay have pimped it a bit since i bought mine.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-hobby-series-awebds610-belt-and-disc-sander-prod886579/
Yes it would be,i really fancy having a go at my first knife ever from scratch!Ive scaled/pimped many but never ht'd etc.

'p.s i'll leave the technical ff to you':D

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Well, none of them are going to be special, get the most powerful one you can, or you will stop the belt with not much pressure.

I still use an axminster belt grinder for a lot of my work, its got an 800w induction motor and i can still stop that. Cost about £250, and its my most used grinder, great for bevels and handle shaping. personally i'd save to double your budget, and get 20x the machine. Its not 1" belt, but i've used one to make nearly all my knives since 2009

This one here, though it looks like thay have pimped it a bit since i bought mine.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-hobby-series-awebds610-belt-and-disc-sander-prod886579/

Cheers mark,good advice that:)

Aug 12, 2009
Uttoxeter,Staffs.
Looking for a new belt and disc sander,ive had the 4" one but fancy the smaller 1" wide belt version like the picture.Ive found the axminster 180w and clarke 300w versions but is there any other companies make them??Found this rexon version but cant find anywhere to buy one.
rexon_sander.jpg
You can get the Rexon from B&Q.

Nov 4, 2013
Palma de Mallorca
That looks like a great bit of kit ! Can you get these in either the UK or Europe since the link goes to an Australian website where I imagine shipping would run high to get it to Europe .
One other belt sander that seems to shine in the US is the Kalamazoo 1x42 inch which seems a favourite quite cheap as well in the US but shipping to Europe makes them way too expensive.
I have spent hours searching sites and there are not many descent machines available in Europe those I have looked at are designed to run with jigs and the belts run downwards rather than up I want to priceable thin knives using convex profiles and be able to sharpen cheap knives entirely on a belt sander.
I have found cheap knives are invariable thick in section which is fine if all you want to cut is processed food but for bushcraft or feathersticking or prepping food good thin convex edges are necessary.
Thinning knives by hand is fine on my own knives but not on a customers knife unless it is a good quality Japanese knife and the owner is happy to pay a realistic price but most people simple will not pay realistically hence the need for a descent belt sander .

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have the 1'' Axminster one, it is a bit underpowered for metal work, but just take your time and it will work. At the end of the day it is designed for wood work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE