Bellt tents/Soul pad tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

billymitchell90

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2013
Scotland, Dundee
Hello I am interested in getting one of these tents along with a stove. Is there any cheaper alternatives ?
I also wondered if anyone has one of these and what you think? Worth the money ? And what size is best? wanting to get say 4 folk in.

thanks.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Cheers guys! Do these things come second hand often I haven't seen much to be fair.

People do sell them from time to time, best bet is save a search for bell tents on eBay and check that periodically. I waited ages for one to come up, in the end I ended buying direct from soul pad.

They are nice tents, roomy inside, easy to put up as well. Can be set up with one person in about 10-15 mins.

They are heavy though so only ever used when car camping. If I'm car camping I go the whole hog and use camp beds and the frontier stove.

Need to be dried properly before putting away so check that you gave room to dry it! I used to hang mine over the banister on the stairs.

Orric

billymitchell90

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2013
Scotland, Dundee
Cheers! Yeah I have read that there heavy its more for when I go with the girlfriend and son as when I go with the boys I am using hammock n tarp. Not really sure on budget really I priced up from new for think it was 4m with stove and the hole bit cut for the stove and comes to around £700.

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
I have a 4m bell tent and totally agree it would be a bit of a squeeze for four adults with a stove fitted. Its a bit of a squeeze for my wife and I and our twins who are eight. They are a lot of money but cared for correctly they will outlive many a nylon tent. They have great stability in the wind I have used it in all weathers and never had any water come through, not one drop. If you wanted to fit four adults comfortably I would go for a 5m if your budget allows, mine didn't. If you do get one make sure you dry it correctly otherwise it will go mouldy. I dry mine after use over the banister for a few days and keep turning it.

Another thing to consider would be the groundsheet style you would prefer, I went for a separate ground sheet as it is easier for me to dry out the canvas. You can get attached groundsheets and zipped in ones. Good luck.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Bell tents have more usable floor space but require annoying guying... my old ten tipi required only the pegs around the fabric edge in all but the very worst weather.

Shame nobody makes a lightweight bell tent.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Cheers! Yeah I have read that there heavy its more for when I go with the girlfriend and son as when I go with the boys I am using hammock n tarp. Not really sure on budget really I priced up from new for think it was 4m with stove and the hole bit cut for the stove and comes to around £700.

I've got the 5m and the stove n I love it.i do same as you hammock n tarp with the lads n soul pad for the family while the little'ns so young.i'll never sell it yer can't beat getting the fire going when yer bedding down for the night don't think I'll ever get bored of that.the fire does take up a fair bit of room though a good quarter of the floor space.so if your looking get 4 adults in it you'll need the 5m this is a strictly car camping tent as when it's packed in the bag it does resemble a dead body.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE