Being on the road.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I also have a lighter civil merino wool suit and although I admit that it is pretty comfortable I find it impractical if one really lives continuously out of the rucksack because you can't machine wash it together with the other clothing and can't throw it in the tumble dryer like the other stuff. It's even more impractical if you have to hand wash the stuff.
Have you ever tried some of the so called "cold water soaps" I don't know what they are chemically but probably not soaps, the few times I have used them they seemed to work. What I did was to stuff the clothes to be washed in a plastic bag together with the cleaner and walk the day, rinse in the evening, start using when dry. It was not as efficient as normal hot washing but not too bad.

The other alternative for wool and synthetics is just to use water and acetic acid, water takes off anything soluble and acetic acid kills the smell causing bacteria. On some synthetic shirts that worked well when on the go.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
It's rather that I ask him for kit advice than trying to tell him which kind of socks he should wear.

@TLM

Good ideas!

There is also a Sagrotan cleaner on the market that you can put into your washing machine. Seems to kill smelling bacteria effectively. I never tried it though.

My main problem with wool is that it has such an incredibly long drying time.

I think the times are definitely over when you could maintain your equipment with neatsfoot oil and dry your woolen clothing at the campfire and afterwards go into a pub or bakers shop and getting fully accepted.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Do the Goretex boots really keep your feet warm and dry in the long run if you change the socks from time to time?

Which model do you use?

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
There seem to be Goretex boots on the market that don't work well. They get whet from inside and don't dry in a sensible amount of time. Thats why I never tried such boots.

I assume that current military Goretex boots are constructed differently than the cheaper civil ones. That's why I would like to know which model from which maker you use.

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Hi Albie, welcome to the forum.

I was almost in your situation a while back so I'm glad to hear your doing ok. Luckily I now reside in a big tin tent and the owner let me fit a wood burner

All the best and I hope you get sorted soon.

Reactions: Aneirin

Stood

Feb 21, 2012
Lancashire
Evening Albie01,

Welcome.

How did the place to live viewing go?

If not well then perhaps I can give you a few pointers where you can get some good help.

I am in the North of Lancashire if that's any use.

PM me if/when you like.

Take care.

Boots

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE