Being on the road.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
And is that all you carry or do you have some adittional stuff?

Do you just have one pair of boots or a change?

Do you use a little folding pruning saw or something bigger? Is it a usual 600 g hatchet or what do you have there?

Albie01

Jan 7, 2022
Carlton
My base layer is long John's top and bottom t shirt trousers or I'll put my softie suit on with my morgue and my seal sock which are waterproof

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I usually layer on top :

T-shirt
Merino turtleneck
Field shirt
Fleece jacket light
Fleece Jacket middle
Goretex

Do you have just the Softie jacket instead of my both fleece jackets?

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Do you use any wool clothing apart from socks?

After wool was nearly extincted in the outdoor equipment for recreational use it had a comeback as merino wool base and mid layers. And the Ullfrotte Woolpower mid layers are not only used In Scandinavian armies but as well issued to special forces of several other NATO armies.

I also have a lighter civil merino wool suit and although I admit that it is pretty comfortable I find it impractical if one really lives continuously out of the rucksack because you can't machine wash it together with the other clothing and can't throw it in the tumble dryer like the other stuff. It's even more impractical if you have to hand wash the stuff.
That's why I consider replacing my merino wool suit and just take a thin polyester fleece norgie and similar longjohns.

I discovered such an offer by Solognac, but didn't try it out yet. But I have a lot of other Solognac clothing and it usually is very good and works very well, the quality usually isn't far below NATO standard.

What do you think about this question?

Reactions: Aneirin

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
So far I understood you right you use a gas burner and carry two gas cardridges in the side pocket. Do you carry apart from your British army mess kit other dishes?

In France they sell gas cardridges in every larger supermarket. If you have an adapter that enables you to use Camping GAZ valve cartridges with your screw valve burner you never have a problem to get fuel.

But in Germany I need to find a sport shop with camping equipment and don't find the cardridges in supermarkets.
That's why I think about buying a Swedish army mess kit. Originally it was constructed to use it over camp fire but afterwards they added a wind shield and alcohol burner. They are pretty heavy but the spiritus I can get everywhere and I also think it's the cheapest option apart from burning wood.

What do you think about that?

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
And a BCB Crusader mug for the instant coffee or what?

How do you charge your smartphone?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE