being clean in the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
As we all know being klean in the woods is of vital importance. so with out a shower or using baby wipes and B.O bopper how do you get washed because while i was at the moot i just used b.o bopper and baby wipes because the solar showers there dont always garantee you a warm one,m and secondly at other camps i use there are no showers.

so what is your washing routine?

the reason i am asking is i am interested in long term outdoor living and this is one skill that is part of it

drew

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I carry several face flannels, and I use them both as flannels to wash (all of me) with, and as towels. I have a sort of rota system for them where they gradually get wetter as they are used first (when they are dry) for the final drying, then (when they are damp) for the preliminary drying, then (when they are wet) for the washing. Flannels are easy to wring out, and a lot easier than towels to wash and dry. I prefer them to the microfibre things but I have a few of those and usually take one just in case. Can't remember such a case ever happening.

To hold water for washing I use either a plastic bowl or a collapsible one, depending on how I travel. An ordinary domestic rectangular plastic bowl fits neatly into the top-box on the rack on my motorcycle, weight very little and takes up little volume if things are packed in and around it. If I'm not carrying so much gear then I just use a collapsible bowl. For hot water I usually use a Ghillie kettle which can make literally gallons of hot water quickly and for nothing. I carry liquid soap in an old contact lens solution bottle pilfered from the wife.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
This is an issue after a few days. I have been known to strip boll**k naked and get into the river (no soap - can't let detergents get into the water) - it's a curiously liberating feeling. I have to admit to being less concerned with general personal hygiene that with keeping my hands clean for food prep. If you're on your own, there's no need to worry about what others think. Not much good if you're on the pull though...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Couple of flannels and a bar of soap was how most of the western world got by until the advent of indoor bathrooms.
One top, one tail.
Camping though, I take a collapsable bowl. One side marked so that I know it's *me* and the other side for the dishes.
A nice handy burn or loch works fine though, if rather bracing :yikes:

cheers,
Toddy

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Solar shower, topped up with boiling water from the kettle :)

Just to give you a mental picture of me in the shower;
110516.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Heat up some water in the billy/kettle and use my collapsible water bowl to have a sponge bath with. :)

What he said, I picked up a cheap Karrimor thing in Field & Trek for a couple of quid, it worked a treat last year when I was on courses for over a week.

Our lass buys little soap impregnated towel things in a box, just wet them and they lather up nicely, a couple of those and you're done.

A bottle of foot powder is a good addition too Drew

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
What he said, I picked up a cheap Karrimor thing in Field & Trek for a couple of quid, it worked a treat last year when I was on courses for over a week.

Our lass buys little soap impregnated towel things in a box, just wet them and they lather up nicely, a couple of those and you're done.

A bottle of foot powder is a good addition too Drew

I assume foot powder is like talc and u put it on after washing your feet and
Were do u get it from

also thanks for the reply guys your help is much appreciated

drew

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I assume foot powder is like talc and u put it on after washing your feet and
Were do u get it from

drew

Yeah pretty much, maybe without the perfume.

Have a look in boots next time you're passing as they have a good range. Not the althletes foot stuff but normal foot hygiene stuff.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Soap and hot water

Any real reason for the hot water?

For long term camping take into account that most self induced contamination comes from hand to mouth contact, same as with many hospital transmitted infections. Keep your hands clean and you can go on as long as you can stand the smell. Soap and water is good (hot or cold) as it removes debris from the skin. Don't use alcohol gel/foam on dirty hands as it can help keep jimmy jerm in place, clean first, sterilise after; if you don't believe me contact your local Control Of Infection nurse.

BobvanVelzen

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2010
Netherlands
If possible: go swimming, scrub with cloth, moss or sand. I believe a short swim will cleam us pretty good.
If its to cold for swimming, warm up some water, and use a warm wet cloth to scrub down.

I prefer a hot shower though.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Drew, I carry my footpowder, double bagged, in large zip lock bags. At the end of the day, after washing or before putting on clean socks, just stick your foot in the bag and wriggle your toes...bliss.

As for the keeping clean, I have a 10L folding bowl for washing. On long term camps I make a small tripod and leave in the bottom, with soap nearby. I haven't used a solar shower, but usually heat up water in a billy / kettle.

For all over washes I use a flannel.

Simon

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Quick word on talc/foot powder. If you use it make sure you wash it off each day and replace since sweaty soggy powder on feet is an absolute perfect place for fungal infections to start.

Also as rik_uk3 says about the alcohol hand gel. It is a secondary sterilizer. In clinical areas you have to wash and scrub your hands with soap then once dry apply the alcohol gel (which stinks and also burns if you have broken skin)

If you think about it historically, we did just fine with a wash once a week. The Western world uses far too much soap and shampoo. The soap companies would not be happy if we stopped using their products every day.

We live off grid and jump in the creek every few days or heat up a bowl of water when its cold outside.

Kerne is correct.....it is completely liberating!

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Just need a little bit of water hot or cold in a pan/messtin. One flannel or baby sponge, liquid soap and there you go. Shaving either battery shaver of use shave oil and a bic razor. Talc is a must for clean feet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE