Behold Hephaestus!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chem_doc

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Hephaestus (Vulcan) is the Greek god of fire/forges. I'm invoking him because I've managed something this weekend that's left me feeling proud of myself.

I've finally taught myself how to light fire without *any* manmade kindling available.

I've been practicing with a firesteel and have become fairly proficient at lighting wax/vaseline doped cotton balls, char cloth, etc. At this point, I can get those ablaze readily. But starting a fire without any of these man-made add ons eluded me. I think a big part of that was lack of decent natural tinder (I've been foraging in my backyard, so I'm limited to what sticks, etc. fall from tress/I can find).

When I say "natural tinder" I'm excluding tinder fungus. I have some of that, but I wanted to focus on, "Say something happens, I'm stranded, can't wander around for long to find tinder gungus, etc."

I recalled spamel's video on lighting a featherstick with a firesteel. I figured I'd work on that. In my zeal for carving sticks into feathersticks, I found myself overcarving them, making a rather large pile of curls.

Then it struck me: If those curls would go up on a featherstick, there's absolutely no reason that they shouldn't off of the stick as well! I just needed to refine my firesteel technique to get them to light.

I've done it enough times now that I can say that it's not a fluke. I can light fires with a firesteel alone now. *puffs out chest* Granted, there are other better tinders out there. But I can now say, in a pinch, that with a firesteel (and at least my ever present leatherman juice if not my Mora) I can get a fire going.

The next trick will be fire without a firesteel I'll be moving on to a bowdrill...

Doc

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I think the feather stick is the best of tinder....Take a wet winter, you are in the forest and want a fire. You have a saw, knife and firestick and nothing else...How would you go about finding tinder...I would find some standing dead wood and saw into 1' lengths and split them down and make feathersticks. Yes it does take time, but its always there to use whatever the weather...
Good luck with fire by friction, tis very satisfying to achieve it...

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I often take the shavings from my carvings and burn them in my hobo stove at the back door. I can stand and smell the smoke and listen to the birds singing and I love it. The wife hates the smokey smell though, such a city girl! :rolleyes:

I pack the hobo stove with shavings, cast a spark onto some charcloth and bury it in the shavings and then blow. It takes a bit of puff, but it goes up eventually.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Great news Chem Doc,

It does become very satisfying when things start happening as they should!

Best of luck with the friction techniques too.

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE