beginners leatherwork tools?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
been thinking recently about getting into leatherwork what basic tools would you recommend for someone just starting out? also, any decent books on the subject, and tool suppliers?

cheers
matt

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
There is a kit tandy do, for hand sewing leather, complete with a good manual. Unfortunately, leatherwork tools, along with a lot of other things, have almost doubled in price lately. a £12-£15 tool is now around £25, and the hand stitching kit which used to be around £45 is now over £80
http://www.tandyleather.eu/en-eur/home/department/Tools/Stitching-Lacing-Tools/11189-00.aspx (prices are in euros)

Basic tools are as follows:
Craft Knife (how did i forget this!)
Stitch groover
Stitch marker or over stitich wheel.
Awl
Needles and thread.
Edge beveller
beeswax.
Some of these tools you can make yourself or aquire on ebay/boot fairs. The stitch marker for example can be made from a simple fork.
Other supplies to shop around:
www.tandyleathercraft.eu
www.theidentitystore.co.uk
www.leprevo.co.uk
www.bowstock.co.uk
www.abbeyengland.com (requires registration)
www.tannerbates.co.uk/leatherworktools/
http://www.handtools-uk.com/default.php?cPath=14

and ebay

Hope this helps

Last edited:

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Bardsters post is excellent! however, if you just want to dabble, you could get by with:

craft knife
fork- for stitch marking and edge grooving
diamond awl
saddlers needles
some beeswax
18/3 linen thread
80 or 60 grit emery for shaping/tidying up edges

And buy Al Stohlmans "The art of hand sewing leather" a bit dated in parts but everything you need to know to get going and beyond, is in there.

cheers

Steve

Apr 6, 2012
Northumberland
I found Le Prevo in Newcastle to be the best. Just phone them and tell them what your after, they are great for helping you get started.
This is all the tools you really need for just about most jobs.
Image000-4.jpg

Image006.jpg

Image004-1.jpg

Image007.jpg

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I have been having a play with leather bits lately, a matey(cheers lou1661!!!) was kind enough to lend their kit and I have to say the biggest difference is tre saddlers needles and waxed thread, the marking can be muddled through but the sewing difference is remarkable with the proper kit.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
Mine is basicly the same, but I use ballpoint pen to mark out the shapes, a stanley knife to cut the shapes and woodlore awl and draper hole punch and I use one needle to stitch. A compass is also useful if you need to mark out a circle. I also use beewax to lube my awl.

I've only used this forum and British Blades forum for info. Other than youtube for a stitching guide (I did my first sheath before looking, after it was much better).

With that kit you can make stuff like these:

My newly made sheath for my Trapper
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/831/20120408182016resize.jpg/

A very well used case for my Leatherman Kick:

Or even a something like this:

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE