Beginner Gear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dangerpie

Dec 5, 2008
Thame, Oxfordshire
Hello all!

I was wondering what would be the first few bits of gear you would get for starting out on some bushcrafty outings. A general purpose knife maybe? Or a lightweight tarp perhaps?

I've always kind of thought the first bit of gear I would get is a knife to do some bits with. I'm not really sure what to look for when buying something like this, or what kind of money I should be spending on a first timer.

Also, should I really be waiting until I have my first instructed training before purchasing items such as a knife, for things such as knife safety, etc? Or is common sense enough for buying something such as this for now?

Pete :)

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
For starting out, I would avoid any cool sounding qualifying words like "lightweight" or "titanium"...

You could do a lot worse than a 58 pattern sleeping bag, foam roll mat, mora knife, a billy can and a basha.

J14

Aug 22, 2008
county durham
Hi, Im not very exerienced but I asked a similar question when I was first starting not that long ago. I was given this thread "Bushcraft on a budget".

Im realy sorry that the thread name isnt a link Im still trying to figure out how most things on this site works,but if you search it it should come up.

Enzo

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2008
N,Lanarkshire
A mora for less than £10 but watch out they are SHARP, I cut myself just taking it out the shealth but then again I am rather clumsy ;)

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
If your anything like me then the most important thing on any bimble,camp or expedition is a first aid kit.

If I make a fire I burn myself, if i use a knife invariably I end up cut, If I mess with tree trunks I trap my finger etc...

In the First Aid kit department buying cheap is not always buying best.

These men are the cheapest of the sellers I came across and its good kit as well.

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/def...lterwords=&filterwordsdescs=1&go=SEARCH&comp=

No connection etc...

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
You don't need a good basha at first buy either a cheap builders tarp or a cheap tarp from decathalon £20 tops. If your really skint or don't want to spend money on it you can use bin bags or other plastic sheeting.

Mora knife is spot on though, I've got far better knives now but it's still my favorite.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Now you've done it Dangerpie! First take a tape measure and check to see if you can get a 4 tonner backed up into your garden. Makes it easier to unload you see. You can...excellent! Right, standby here's your list.....:lmao: :lmao: ( Just kiddin' really) :D

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
If you're not allowed to start fires then I would add a meths burner like a Swedish Army Trangia to cook up some scoff. Dirt cheap and comes with a billy, windshield, burner and sort of frying pan all in one unit. £10 - £14.

If you prefer a hammock instead of kipping on the floor, try a DD hammock. If you're under 6 foot tall you can get the scout hammock for under £20.

Mora knife is excellent so is the Frost Clipper.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A lot of folk start out using ex issue gear which is of course bombproof and will certainly do what you want. On the other hand a lot of folk eventually change to purpose made bushcraft gear so it`s whether you want to dive straight in and do that or not. There are some great threads about "which knife ?", "which tarp ?" etc so have a search and see what you fancy.

Mr Mears summarises a basic kit list quite well in his books ...

Something to carry it in,
something to sleep under,
something to sleep in,
something to sleep on,
something to cook over,
something to cook in,
something to carry water,
a mug,
eating utensils,
food,
medical kit,
illumination,
wash kit,
"possibles",
clothing &
navigational equipment.

Take from that what you will but I think the first 5 or 6 items are key and of course they can be sourced fairly cheaply ex-issue.

Have fun and keep your eye on the classifieds section.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE