Gear secrity at shows

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

benbee

Oct 30, 2022
warrington uk
My wife and I are thinking of going to a couple of the bushcraft shows as we have never been to any. Over the years we have amassed a load of gear that would be difficult to replaced. How do people manage gear security at the shows?

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I've never had a problem with security myself, but bring as little as possible, don't leave any shinies on show and keep the good stuff with you, or locked away in the car.

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
When we go to shows I tent to take my old kit just in case. Never had a problem to be honest and just keep things out of sight. Last year we went to the Bushcraft show and took our niece so although we slept under tarps I also took my polish lavvu which was great as the girls could change in privacy and we could put our kit in it while we weren't at camp.

benbee

Oct 30, 2022
warrington uk
Pretty much as I thought. Where this question comes from, is a friend wants to get into camping/ bushcraft and, asked for the best gear set to get. I explained that its all about site and situation and that there cant be one piece that covers everything so you end up with several things that essentially do the same things but in different ways eg stoves (gas, spirit, fire, solid fuel etc). We then looked at cost and I didnt realise how how much value was in the gear that Ive got and how much it would be to replace. So having never been to a show I wondered if there was a problem and if there were any solutions that I hadnt thought of.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
My wife and I are thinking of going to a couple of the bushcraft shows as we have never been to any. Over the years we have amassed a load of gear that would be difficult to replaced. How do people manage gear security at the shows?
Which shows were you thinking of going to?

As for advice on managing your valuables have a read of this thread where someone else asks the same question

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I have been going to the wilderness gathering almost as long as it's been going on. I've only once had something taken from my site which is usualy very close to the path which has constant foot traffic so there is almost always someone about.
I had a belt kit of ferro rod, Swiss army knife lighter whistle and army can opener on a clip taken, which was annoying. I had left it on my table very near the path with all my cooking gear etc and nothing else went, so I reckon it was a youngster being a bit opportunistic. Taught me a lesson. Just don't leave stuff that might be tempting in view.
My fault entirely, I had forgotten to put it on my belt in the rush to meet a friend.
Other than that I've never had a problem in ten years or so attending this sort of event.
Just make sure stuff is either well hidden, (I often put something down the bottom of a sleeping bag, ) to make sure if anyone was furtling around my camp, the time it would take for searching they would be seen. or if it's particularly valuable, leave it locked and covered in your car.
I don't have a car, so usualy make sure I take nothing that I particularly treasure. If I do, I keep it on my person.
You should be fine. I've never normaly worried about this sort of thing. Most people are kind, trustworthy and honest. I had a couple of people gift me new bits for my belt kit when it became known what had happened. So many thanks to those kind people.
My belt kit is now fully functional again. And I have a good memory of people's kindness everytime I use it instead of a bad one.
Go, have fun and don't worry.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE