Beginner Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 25, 2013
London
Hi all,

New member here on the forums and a total newcomer to bushcraft and camping alike.
Therefore I've got zero kit, zero experience and zero clue on where to start!

So.. thought I'd start a thread where the experienced chaps can post their advice and thoughts on how best to jump in to the world of bushcraft.

Did you start off with one-day hiking trips or did you blow a load of cash on kit as soon as possible?!

Be great to hear everyones experience and advice on the first steps into bushcraft.

Tom

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Don't blow silly money mate. The thing you need, is knowledge. Everything else is secondary. Enjoy your new hobby, hope it brings you a lifetime of joy.
Regards
Kal

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Read some books, some day hikes maybe , do what you enjoy find somewhere quiet sit down have a brew enjoy the wildlife spot some animals or birds. Don't blow your money.

Buy or borrow the following books from library.
Bushcraft by mors kochanski.
Outdoor survival handbook by ray mears.
Essential bushcraft by ray mears.

Do day trips with a thermos for drinks and id plants trees tracks and anything else that you spot.
Invest in a mora knife priced around twenty quid and a spark stick (ferrocium steel) or a lighted and pack of matches.. Practice in back garden if you cant get out.

Dont get caught up with spending loads of money on kit until you knkw what kit you need.
Look on here and you tube for inspiration.
In the kit chatter section is a very good sticky with a kit load out you can use as a guideline.
Be aware what suits you may not be whats considered in vouge in the bushcraft fashionistas view point.

Then progress to nights out.
You'll soon decide if you want a foam roll mat or a thermorest inflating mat.

Don't get dazzled by what mears uses kit wise (or anyone else for that matter) as long as its fit for purpose then who cares if its endorsed by anyone or considered to be dire.

Ask loads and loads of questions on here.
You may get curmudgeonly responses of not this again but remember everyone on here started this hobby at some point and more than likelyasked some daft questions or repeated topics.

Use the search facility on here too but if you cant work it dont worry too much.

You can always find someone who's prepared to answer your questions.
Enjoy

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
This is great advice. Spot on.

Do day trips with a thermos for drinks and id plants trees tracks and anything else that you spot.
Invest in a mora knife priced around twenty quid and a spark stick (ferrocium steel) or a lighted and pack of matches.. Practice in back garden if you cant get out.

Dont get caught up with spending loads of money on kit until you knkw what kit you need.
In the kit chatter section is a very good sticky with a kit load out you can use as a guideline.
Be aware what suits you may not be whats considered in vouge in the bushcraft fashionistas view point.

Don't get dazzled by what mears uses kit wise (or anyone else for that matter) as long as its fit for purpose then who cares if its endorsed by anyone or considered to be dire.

You may get curmudgeonly responses of not this again but remember everyone on here started this hobby at some point and more than likelyasked some daft questions or repeated topics.

Use the search facility on here too but if you cant work it dont worry too much.

Enjoy

Reverend Graham

Life Member
Jul 2, 2012
Grimsby
There's a North Wood meet (near Birmingham) next weekend, you can find the thread somewhere on here, if you fancy coming up for it let me know (PM me), I've got loads of extra gear, you can borrow a tent, kip mat, sleeping bag, food ect, all you need is some warm clothes and wet weather gear if you fancy a weekend taster with a bunch of old timers.

Rev G

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Something to cook on, something to cook in, something to sleep in, something to sleep under and something to carry it all. It doesn't have to be expensive. A cheap stove, mess kit, sleepingbag, tent and rucksack can all be got on Ebay, Asda, Tesco's etc. You can always upgrade as you feel the need to.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
There is certain be a member or two on here who is local to you, so see if you can find out who they are, and maybe arrange to go out for a day with them. That saves a lot of time compared to sitting at a computer trying to think of what question to ask next.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Something to cook on, something to cook in, something to sleep in, something to sleep under and something to carry it all. It doesn't have to be expensive. A cheap stove, mess kit, sleepingbag, tent and rucksack can all be got on Ebay, Asda, Tesco's etc. You can always upgrade as you feel the need to.

Don't forget something to sleep on. :)

A sleep mat goes a long way towards you having a warm kip at night

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Some great advice and kind offers so far!

I find I really value a good nights sleep and then second, I'm probably going to told off for saying I actually use my axe more than my knife. :)

Good luck :).

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland

Enjoy

You can't go far wrong with advice like that.

Nov 25, 2013
London
Thanks everyone for the responses! Extremely helpful and will definitely heed the advice!

Reverend Graham, thats a very kind offer but unfortunately I'm away over that weekend :(
Man of Tanith, again thats a really helpful list of things to consider - will definitely take note!

Seems the best method is to just get out there and see where it takes me. Theres a local woods a car trip away so may just do a few hours wandering and build from that.
In terms of reading material I'll see what Santa will bring!

Also have a clearing in my garden so I've got ideas to turn that into an area to practice fire making, etc.
Thanks again everyone for your patience, sure you get a lot of new guys asking similar questions! Given me lots of motivation to get out there and start the journey.

Ps. Great introduction to the forum!

Thetillerman71

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 9, 2012
Gloucester
I blew all my cash on kit first chance possible, then after doing it a few times realised Id not really bought the stuff I needed. A lesson learned

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
HI tom loads of advice already here, I can only back up the bit about not going an blowing loads of cash, find out what you like first, get yourself to a meet if you can have a chat with the guys, what part of London are you,

If your interested you'd be welcome at the Suffolk meet which is held every month first full weekend of the month, have a look at the Suffolk threads. pop along and visit for the day and visit us, see the gear the guys are using and find out pro's and cons.. :)

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84745
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113566
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114969

Or look for the other groups that are about, any one of them will welcome you :)

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
At first get only a small pack, put in a rain slicker, matches and lighter, a compass and learn, a cup (metal), a first aid kit, then hike around town, climb stairs, etc... add a few rocks or weights get your legs/wind in shape. Add some grub, and water. Read what you can and be selective, acquire kit slowly as your forays extend, when the faucets from the kitchen sink wont fit in your pack its a warning you have acquired to much

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE