Begginer's Axe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 21, 2016
Birmingham
Hello,

I'm thinking about booking myself onto the axemanship course at Bushmoot, and so I've started looking into getting my first axe.

The advice I've received so far is that when starting out, it may be better to go for a cheaper axe, than to buy say, a Gransfors Bruks axe, as I'll also be learning how to sharpen, and take care of my axe correctly. That said, I also want to make sure that the axe I get is still of reasonable quality.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to look for an axe, or if there are any particular axes which they'd recommend?

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Just buy the gransfors first time out. Decide what you want it for and pick the best size for you. You won't get better quality in an ace you'll use.
It isn't difficult to look after an axe once you have a bit if common sense, remember they're made for hard use, so you might as well save yourself money in the long run and get a good one to begin with. But once and buy right.

PS don't forget to take your size into consideration when choosing: a small forest axe will work as well for one man as a scandi for another.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Get two axes.
One Gransfors and one old, rusty and blunt one at a bootsale.

Learn how to use an axe with the Gransfors, and learn how to sharpen on the old one..
To restore an old "useless" object to its former glory is very satisfying!

Sparky415

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Oxfordshire
Get two axes.
One Gransfors and one old, rusty and blunt one at a bootsale.

Learn how to use an axe with the Gransfors, and learn how to sharpen on the old one..
To restore an old "useless" object to its former glory is very satisfying!

Just this goodjob ( and take a look at Ray Mears ‘axe videos’ )

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Question one: What do you want to do with your axe?
(split wood? carve wood? carpentry?)
Question two: How rich are you?
Question three: How much workshop/playspace do you have?

I would recommend a cheapish axe to start with, combined with a fine file for sharpening (and some wet and dry paper for finishing the edge). However this depends on the answers to the questions.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
From experience I would say avoid Bahco, they don't really hold an edge very well.
I like the look of the Robin Wood axe, but haven't handled one. I do however trust the man, based on how he comes across on his videos and website. I f buying now I would probably go that route.
For carving and "bushcraft" I use Gransfor Bruks.
For splitting large rounds its an Aldi splitting maul or a large Hults Bruks that belonged to my dad that I re-handled.
I've never used Wetterlings, Hultafors or any of the others.

Dave

Go on the course and learn to use the axes they have then you will have a better idea about what you want for you and what you want to use it for Every body is differnt

Never understand people who book a course to learn about something but buy all the stuff before (unless you have to ) a lot find out hat what they bought really inst suitable for them or a cheaper option was better etc

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
Just buy the gransfors first time out. Decide what you want it for and pick the best size for you. You won't get better quality in an ace you'll use.
It isn't difficult to look after an axe once you have a bit if common sense, remember they're made for hard use, so you might as well save yourself money in the long run and get a good one to begin with. But once and buy right.

PS don't forget to take your size into consideration when choosing: a small forest axe will work as well for one man as a scandi for another.

^This.

If you get "into" axes you will buy more than one. FGYT is also right in that as you learn you will find what works for you. Axes, bushcraft, woodworking, are usually now considered a hobby which a part is accumulating knowledge and some tools. Your first GB axe should be what you think you might like in getting into the subject. It might be the Small Forest axe (a backpacking axe), or a felling axe (proper axe), or a small carving axe (because you want to make wood things). Your call. You might change your mind after the course and have to buy another!!

I'm a fan of GB axes because they are just lovely tools in their own right and part of the return on the investment is just ownership. All quality.

Last edited:

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I am running the axe skills course at the moot. I will have a quite a number of axes for you to try from GB to Brades, Kent pattern to Bearded axes.

An axe is a tool if subtlety when used well. I would hold off purchasing an axe until after the moot. Although I suspect there will be axes for sale in the shop and bring and buy.

I will not be selling axes so there will be no pressure sales pitch of one style over another.

Once you have a better understanding of the tool and how to get the most from it you will be able to make a more informed choice on the right tool for your intended use.

I will tailor the course to meet your requirements so you learn the skills your going to need.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
What an extraordinary opportunity = try before you buy and all sorts of designs to work with.
No axe is any damn good whatsoever if you cannot maintain the edge.

Feb 21, 2016
Birmingham
Thanks everyone, I've booked myself onto the course, I haven't brought an axe yet, so I'll just wait until after I've been on the course. In terms of restoring axes, I've read guides in the past (I think there was one in Bushcraft Magazine sometime last year) but I lack the workshop space/ tools to be doing this, otherwise it'd be something I'd have a go at.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Thanks everyone, I've booked myself onto the course, I haven't brought an axe yet, so I'll just wait until after I've been on the course. In terms of restoring axes, I've read guides in the past (I think there was one in Bushcraft Magazine sometime last year) but I lack the workshop space/ tools to be doing this, otherwise it'd be something I'd have a go at.

Cool will be good to have you on board. Remember ask lots of questions and by the end of the course and the moot you will be a seasoned axeman. Happy to restore any sharp that comes your way

Suwarrow

Jul 7, 2016
London
Hi Wayne, can I ask if you'll be running any more Axe Skills courses?
Unfortunately I couldn't make it to the Bush Moot but would be very interested in attending one (I can't see anything similar on your Forest Knights website).

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

PiterM

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2009
Poland
Hultafors Classic... easy to use, sharp, solid, priced well below GB:

IMG_9919.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE