Bed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Well constructed classic lean-to shelter there from C G, (though I wouldn't be storing an axe by planting it in a live tree), and I second bhofmann; why take it down?

One thing I've never been too sure about with the lean-to types though is that the 'roof' has to be at a steep angle to shed the rain, but on the other hand, the slightest breeze is going to blow the rain straight into the shelter.

Before anyone says it, it's not just a matter of positioning the shelter according to the prevailing wind either - I've regularly set up camps in sites where the wind is blowing one way one hour, and the opposite way the next hour. Or of course, if there is no prevailing wind until after you've set up your shelter, you could once again be snookered!

Any solutions anyone? (Apart from using a tarp, as I currently do.)

If you lash the Almost vertical branches to the Upper Horizontal branch/support it offers some protection from the wind blowing it dowm

I too agree with not taking it down, save the trees and allows other to see what can be accomplished with a bit of elbow greese and some knowledge
And it allows others like me to think of the talented guy that build the bed/shelter that i'm on/under

C

craigsalter

Great idea of a picture tutorial, I would like to add that the best night sleep I have ever had camping was on a bed of pine. True I woke up smelling like a magic tree air freshener but it was warm and as comfy as my matress at home.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
In the A frame one that CBJ posted, what is used to actually make the initial layer that everything sits upon? and also how do you attatch it to the two side rails? i've always wanted to make an A frame like this but never known what to use for that part?

Thanks

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Hi sorry I took so long to post a reply . I have only just noticed the last post

I used peat sacks for the initial layer. I slit 2 holes on either side at the top then the bottom and slid the poles through them. The length of the sacks gives the width of the bed so there was plenty of room. The only trouble doing it this way is the sacks sag in the middle but the edges are taught so you have to make sure you put plenty of material in the dips and then over the whole lot so you have an even layer.

30s7hft.jpg

A better way is to find a suitable material that you can sew as a single tube, this saves on you having to mess about keeping the seperate sacks together and in my opinion makes the tension of the bed more even.

Hope this helps

CBJ

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE