Beautiful parang gift from Borneo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
I was recently introduced to a local guide from Kuching, Sarawak by a mutual friend. Danny Voon is a kayaker, adventurer and a guide that specializes in less travelled routes in Borneo. After several exchange of emails, I also found out that he has a keen interest in promoting the preservation and awareness of traditional skills and crafts. One of them being parang makers. Besides adding to his own collection, he has been tracking down traditional parang makers, especially in the remote villages around Kuching.

He was recently in Kuala Lumpur and I had the chance to meet up with him. He surprised me with two pieces of parangs from a native parang maker that he has recently met. He placed the order for the parangs just a few days before flying over. I am amazed at the carvings especially and according to Danny, they are all handcarved without any template tracing. Below are some pictures of one of the parangs.

sarawak-parang-frt.jpg

sarawak-parang-back.jpg

sarawak-parang-compare.jpg

sarawak-parang-compare-mora.jpg

sarawak-parang-compare-mora.jpg

sarawak-parang-hanging-loop.jpg

sarawak-parang-carving-sheath.jpg

sarawak-parang-carving-sheath.jpg

Here are some pictures from another parang maker in the Sarawak highlands by Danny.

P1010234.jpg

P1010243.jpg

Obviously, we chatted for hours about parangs. He described to me how some of the parang makers would actually keep many chickens. My first thought was that they would have used the chickens for ‘cutting’ tests but it turns out that the feathers of the chicken were uses as ‘piston rings’ on the ‘blower’ pump of their furnaces! And I told myself I gotta see this someday.

In the mean time, I am so looking forward to be joining Danny on a trek to a remote highland village in end February where he will be introducing me to a traditional Bidayuh parang maker, native women who are still wearing metal rings on their arms and legs as well as a spectacular waterfall. Can’t wait now.

KEONG

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
Rich...according to Danny, the sheath is made of a type of light wood. Quite common there. He also told me the unique ones are the sheaths made of 'iron wood' or locally called Belian. The carvings on iron wood will actually darken as it ages.
Danny will try to show me one when I am in Kuching. I will try to take pics.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Wow! These are absolutely beautiful carvings and tools. These guys are really talented artists. I particularly like those little long carving tools. How long are those little carving blades? A couple of inches? I'll have to get my hands on one sometimes. Thanks for showing them.goodjob

Last edited:

alecf

Forager
Jun 7, 2009
Nr Reading
Oh my! Im heading off to borneo in the summer, and will be starting from kuching. I'd love to bring something like that home! (If I have enough ringit) :)

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
Jojo->yes, the tiny blades measures just about an inch (blade) only according to Danny.

Alec-> below are Danny's contact details. You can contact him directly if you are interested. Included below is his local mobile number.

email: borneooutdoorexplorer(at)gmail.com
mobile: 016-8530447

Glad to be able to share these with you guys :)

KEONG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE