Beating up the NBS

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

J. J. Magnum

Feb 28, 2006
USA
Last weekend while my son Ruhl was out training the sled dogs it was my job to make camp and of course a campfire. One of our sledding partners had brought some firewood but it was kind of blocky stuff. He asked, "Hey we need to split this up, you got a hatchet?"

"No," I replied, "but I have something just as good." (Enter stage left the Northern Bushcraft/Survival as made by Abe Elias at Diving Sparrow Knifeworks...)

When I brought out the NBS he laughed at me and said, "You'll never split this oak with a knife."

Really?

0batonnbsig1.jpg

0batonnbs1zf9.jpg

0batonnbs2cp6.jpg

I made up a nice bunch of 'splits' to go on the tinder and twig fire I had started in the fire ring.

0batonnbs3cb1.jpg

Afterward I looked over the edge and no damage was found despite the fact that it was dry hard oak that it cut.

0batonnbs4tl8.jpg

0batonnbs5pp8.jpg

The knife still whittled shavings from the oak and cut steak later that night. I think it's developing a nice patina too. I have to thank Abe for making such a fine knife, it is truly living up to all my expectations.

Anyone interested in Abe's work should view his site: http://home.cogeco.ca/~aelias/

J. J. Magnum

Feb 28, 2006
USA
Nice knife. I saw it before. I thought it was a zero beveled scandi grind, but now I see it's got a secondary bevel.

I'm sorry Michiel, that isn't a secondary bevel but a polished convex edge after grinding to zero. I asked Abe about that myself and he stated he did this on a slack belt grinder to polish the edge and remove any burned material from the scandi grind. If you have any questions you can contact Abe; he'd be glad to hear from you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE