Beating the cold weather

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Hi,

The weathers been freezing recently, even durning the daytime, and I really suffer from cold feet and hands.

What are some of the best socks and gloves around?
I have thinsulate gloves, which are fairly good, but dont compleatly stop the wind.

Even 3 pairs of socks don't help my feet!!

I have reusable hand warmers, but they aren't great, and dont last long.
I recently tried 'Warm ones', a one time use boot insole, which warms the feet. Wow, they were good, but they have just stoped producing them. Seen anything simular around?

When I get the chance, I remove my footware and rub my feet, which does help a little.
I have even tried dipping my feet in cold water, which after they were dry did feel quiet warm.

I sometimes wear a thinsulate baliclava, along with a norgee shirt and long johns, along with other layers of clothes. And I always wear a warm hat.

Are there any other tricks / items I can get to make life outdoors a little more bareable?

Thanks for the advise,
And have a Happy New Year!!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Have a look at the army issue extreme cold weather (ECW) socks, I always favour these come winter time. The ones you want are a creamy colour with a red band round the top.

For your hands maybe try putting a goretex mitt over the top of your fleece gloves, that should keep the wind out.

Enzo

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2008
N,Lanarkshire
I find that my feet get colder with 3 pairs than with 2, It's something to do with having space for the heat to be trapped,
I always use WOOL socks when out and about.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Its possible you may have Reynauds (explanation below).

R is often associated with low vitamin B3 status. Get yourself a B-Complex from a health food shop that contains Niacin (B3). You do need the kind that makes you flush red as its that action that opens the blood vessels, dont worry its a temporary thing. Also things like saunas with force the blood vessels to open are very useful as well.

Sandsnakes

Reduced Blood Supply to the Extremities: When a person is exposed to cold, the body's normal response is to slow the loss of heat and preserve its core temperature. To maintain this temperature, the blood vessels that control blood flow to the skin surface move blood from arteries near the surface to veins deeper in the body. For people who have Raynaud's phenomenon, this normal body response is intensified by the sudden spasmodic contractions of the small blood vessels (arterioles) that supply blood to the fingers and toes. The arteries of the fingers and toes may also collapse. As a result, the blood supply to the extremities is greatly decreased, causing a reaction that includes skin discoloration and other changes.

Changes in Skin Color and Sensation: Once the attack begins, a person may experience three phases of skin color changes (white, blue, and red) in the fingers or toes. The order of the changes of color is not the same for all people, and not everyone has all three colors. Pallor (whiteness) may occur in response to spasm of the arterioles and the resulting collapse of the digital arteries. Cyanosis (blueness) may appear because the fingers or toes are not getting enough oxygen-rich blood. The fingers or toes may also feel cold and numb. Finally, as the arterioles dilate (relax) and blood returns to the digits, rubor (redness) may occur. As the attack ends, throbbing and tingling may occur in the fingers and toes. An attack can last from less than a minute to several hours.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
I just checked our weather forecast:

As Enzo said, wool socks are good, but too many stops the insulating air.

Other tips:

- buy proper insulated footwear, or if you cant find them but an extra large size, choose a thick sole, use a thermal liner inside and wool socks.
- we drink plenty of water, the air is so dry that you need to humidify each and every breath before it enters your lungs. If you get dehydrated, you body's temperature control system doesn't work as well.
- windproof gloves (windstopper are an ok brand)

Out of interest, what are you doing outside when you're cold? Standing still or moving around?

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Thanks for all your replys.

Thanks for the info about Reynauds, I have seen this, but am fairly sure I do not suffer from it.

I'll look into getting some of the mentioned stuff, and any other surgestions would be great.

To answer Susi question, when I'm outside I can be doing phsyical work, or stationary for periods of time.
I am a builder by trade, so it depends on the work, I may be digging, moving wheelbarrows, or stationary, (laying bricks, plastering etc), or even in the warm indoors, in & out.
I know I need to dress accoringly for work, but it's not always easy.

I'm just glad we dont get the extreams of weather you do in your country!

Mooseman1

Forager
Dec 22, 2008
London UK
taws6, use mitts for your hands, gloves are no good in these temps, with your feet use two layers of socks, one thin like office socks and one thick, then stuff your boots with hay or straw (any dry grass). I know it sounds nuts but i am from yellowknife and believe me they shall be toasty brother. i have done this all my life in -40 with windchill.

moose out

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Thanks for all your replys.

Thanks for the info about Reynauds, I have seen this, but am fairly sure I do not suffer from it.

I'll look into getting some of the mentioned stuff, and any other surgestions would be great.

To answer Susi question, when I'm outside I can be doing phsyical work, or stationary for periods of time.
I am a builder by trade, so it depends on the work, I may be digging, moving wheelbarrows, or stationary, (laying bricks, plastering etc), or even in the warm indoors, in & out.

I'm just glad we dont get the extreams of weather you do in your country!

I knew a builder once he used to wear tights in the winter, his name was Elsie :D

No seriously he said it kept his feet warm as toast with just one pair of woollen socks and the tights...

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I was a roofer in my past life, hod carrier and scaffolder so I know what cold is, started the roofing during the worst winter we have had, 62/63, ice flows going down the Mersey tiles stuck to yer fingers. IMO a lot of it is in the mind, I stood the cold better than most due to me relaxing, blocking it out.

Also sold flowers stood on the road in all weathers, my brother would be freezing with three jackets on and umpteen under clothing,
icon10.gif
I was fine with just a T shirt and jumper at best, a lot of wise street sellers stand on cardboard, yer need space between you and the ground, thick soles but deffo try to relax more.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
All the cold people I ever met have been moaning they are cold and then stood there gibbering
The people who were not moaning were nice and warm.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Attitude does have a lot to do with it. If you ... think ... you will be cold, then you WILL be cold. And if you "fight" the cold, it just tends to focus your concentration on you being cold. So relax a bit and accept that you might be cold. Once you make that mental shift, it can get better.

A lot of salesmen have to wear that formal suit in their job. So many found out that if they wear tights or pantyhose under that suit, it keeps them warmer. And wearing normal thermal underwear tends to be more bulky. Just one adaptation.

Keeping as much thickness and insulation between the bottoms of your feet and the ground helps a lot. That ground contact just draws the heat down and out of your feet. That is why wood shoes or shoes with wood soles work so well in the cold. Them people years ago knew what they were doing!

Also try to keep your footwear loose. The tighter your socks and shoes, the harder it is to keep your feet warm. That "trapped air" in the insulation makes a big difference. If you need to, go a size or two larger in your shoes. Or consider using pull-on rubber overshoes. They do make a big difference. And so do those insulated "pack boots" or snowmobile boots. The thick felt liners and insoles make a big difference.

One of the best ... tips ... would be to use an insulated Coverall or Bib Overalls - like a ski suit or a larger version of a kid's snowsuit. I use them all the time on the farm, cutting firewood, working construction. That full suit really helps keep you warm. You get used to the extra bulk of it pretty quickly, and you can do most anything in them. Plus they protect your regular clothes from dirt/grime/grease/oil/etc. I've spent all day working outside in them with temps down to 20 below zero Farenheit! And I've even slept in them when out camping - like a sleeping bag you wear with arms and legs. Carhartt is the big well-known brand especially with people in construction or farming. But there are many similar ones that cost a lot less.

Wear a scarf around your neck. It is amazing how much that helps - almost as much as wearing a good stocking cap. I use a knitted wool one sometimes. It works great, but it ... itches. So I prefer a military surplus T-shirt material scarf - around 5 feet long by 2 feet wide. I fold it in half lengthwise, wrap it around my neck 1 1/2 times, and tuck the long ends down inside the front of my coat or coveralls. Those long tucked-in ends help keep it in place when working.

Gloves? Lots of choices. But try to keep them loose. Too tight will lead to colder hands. I tend to just use those yellow flannel "chore gloves". Occasionally I will pull mittens over them. They even work well when we are cutting ice out of the river. I always keep several pairs along to swap out when they get wet. I know a lot of people who use those gloves designed for people riding snowmobiles. They block the wind, and insulate the hand very well. But it can get a little hard to work with your hands when wearing them.

Drink lots of water! It is way too easy to get dehydrated in the cold. By the time you feel thirsty, you are already in need of water. So don't pass up the chance to drink more water. And if you have to ... relieve yourself ... do so instead of trying to hold it in. That extra effort adds up and will increase how cold you feel. It sounds strange, but it does. So answer that ... call of nature.

This has all worked well for me. And those coveralls or bib overalls are one of the best "tips" I always pass on to people. With these "tips", I've spent 6 to 8 hours working outside with temps down to 20 below zero Farenheit and a "brisk" wind. I've also spent the same amount of time in similar weather conditions setting out in the woods while deer hunting (and occasionally fallen asleep!).

Hope this helps.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland

I really sympathise with you there! It is so difficult to dress correctly when sometimes you're moving and sometimes stood around.

A couple of years ago I worked 6 months on a farm. The lowest we hit was -42°C, but many days it was -35°C:

This was how I started:

But after a while realised that air flow was more important than insulation - it was quite dangerous to sweat, then stand still in such temperatures. End up using a thick top with a drawstring that actually let the wind blow up underneath it when working (to ventilate the sweaty air), but could then be tightened up when stood around.

(sorry if I hijacked your thread :) )

Bimble

Forager
Jul 2, 2008
Stafford, England
I think that dressing for the outdoors is a little bit of a lost art in our central heating/air conditioned world. If you want to stay warm then the only thing that provides any real insulation is dead air, air which does not move. As pointed out by many, what you don’t want to do is sweat as this can be a problem with chilling when you stop activity. The key then to staying warm in my book is learning to regulate your temperature properly. Though this took some practical experience to achieve, I learnt that dressing in a certain way makes it a lot simpler.

I always aim to be comfortably ‘cool’ when outdoors and standing still, not cold but almost so. This way, any mild activity around camp, or on-the-flat walking, can be undertaken without any significant overheating.

Being in this ‘cool’ state also reduces my water consumption considerably, but as has been pointed out already you get dehydrated very quickly in the cold. Apparently the reason for this is that below freezing your lungs actually have to moisturise the air you breathe for the oxygen to pass through the membranes, all that seeing-of-breath is actually precious hydration being lost. The human body also produces stress hormones when cold which increase your urination, we have all been there!

I got severely dehydrated once while canoeing in autumn, I was border line hypothermic when I woke-up in the middle of the night. I managed to get the fire stoked up and with very wobbly club hands make some coffee to repair things, but I did give myself a scare. Anyway you get the point, drink lots.

The trick to clothing is management of the ‘dead air’ insulation. I have found my shell is, daft as it sounds, the most thermally important bit of clothing. It should be highly breathable and totally wind proof. I don’t like Gore-Tex as the so called ‘breathing’ pores don’t work when its cold, to boot your jacket gets to act as if it’s made of cardboard. (Just my opinion, if you want to walk about in a plastic bag, then who am I to say you’re wrong.)

I wear Ventile; this stuff becomes fantastic in cold weather. I have found the key to a good Ventile smock is that it has a permanently attached hood (never underestimate the value of a good hood), large enough for my head and neck insulation, which can be cinched tight around the face. It should also have Velcro closure wrists and an elasticised hem draw cord. All these features, though not high fashion, allow you to regulate air flow through the jacket. A big ‘dump’ pocket on the front is also useful, more on this later.

If it’s really cold, over trousers in Ventile are also very useful.

Footwear is a little problematic; you really want two thick pairs of socks, a thermal insole and a leather boot. Unfortunately footwear in the cold is always a compromise. Your boot needs to be loose for your foot to stay warm for two reasons. Firstly any tightness will restrict blood flow to your foot, secondly the movement in the boot while walking will pump air through your socks removing the moisture and keeping them comfortably cool while active and toasty when still. The thermal insole provides a conduction barrier between you and the ground and is in my opinion essential.

The problem with lose footwear is that it can cause blisters and instability on rough terrain, can’t have everything I suppose.

I lump base layers and insulation together as there is a lot of marketing boll**ks thrown about on the subject. It’s your body heat that drives moisture out of your clothing (so called wicking), if you have too much insulation on, water vapour (sweat) will condense in you clothing regardless of what it is made of. If this is cotton it will absorb a lot of this condensed moisture and when you stop, chill you quickly as body heat is used to ‘dry’ out the clothing. (Cotton actually wicks as well as any other fibre, most oil lamps are testament to this fact).

Wool is a little better but still absorbs a lot of moisture if you get your temperature regulation wrong. According to people more knowledgeable than me, due to its fibres natural hydrophobic surface properties ( something to do with scales), it stays warmer as it dries progressively through its thickness rather than actual wick backwards like cotton. (Don’t tell the marketing men but ‘surface tension’ wicking actually works both ways, wool works because it inhibits reverse wicking when there is a relatively small amount of temperature difference, manmade fibres work because they absorb such a tiny amount of water, as such both work well as insulation).

With traditional wool insulation in cold conditions, it is necessary to build a fire and dry out the garments or else you end up carrying a few kilos of frost around with you and eventually this ruins the insulation properties of wool and you freeze. (I wear wool because it can be dried fairly forcefully with a fire unlike manmade fibres, this is VERY important if you take a cold dunking in a canoe. Wool must be kept clean as any dirt actually causes the reverse wicking by inhibiting the fibres hydrophobic surface properties)

All this is a very technical monologue and I apologise if I’m boring anybody.

There are two items of clothing that I feel are totally underrated the mitten and the scarf.

Mittens are the ideal hand cover for cold weather. I attached mine via a cord through my jacket ‘kiddie’ style. This way they don’t get lost. Mittens are useful as to do any dextrous tasks requires me to take any hand coverings on and off a lot. Gloves are too much hassle, tend to restrict my circulation and I still have to remove them to do even basic tasks. Also I have found the increase surface area of a glove chills my hand significantly if it gets wet, which it always does around water. I use a pertex/pile mitten (buffalo) that dries very quickly and is windproof. It has a good secure Velcro closure, no good by a fire but then I don’t need my mittens on by a fire.

For some unknown reason scarfs have gone out of fashion. A good scarf is in fact ideal for the outdoors. It provides insulation to the neck area, which is a major source of heat loss, and provides a seal to stop warm air escaping from the shell. It provides as much insulation when applied to the neck as if wearing another thick body insulation garment, and weighs much less. Its best feature for me however is in regulation of body temperature when on the move. It can be removed / adjusted without having to stop and take my pack off. (This is where the chest dump pocket comes in useful). By its adjustment I can easily regulate insulation and air flow through the rest of my clothing system.

The scarf is also a perfect companion to my woolly hat as it can provide a balaclava effect without me looking like a bank robber.

I have found the humble scarf is also useful in my sleeping bag as it provides a very good neck baffle come face covering in very cold weather. Firstly it stops my breath moisture getting into the bag and secondly any accumulated frost can be quickly dried out of the scarf in the morning by the fire without having to expose my bag to the flames.

The scarf also stops trickles off my brimmed hat running down your neck when it’s raining. (While not life threatening, this can ruin the moment.:Wow: )

They say to get ahead get a hat. I say to stay warm outside get a scarf.

Finally I’d like to share a little trick with you if you are fishing or canoeing. If it’s cold, first dump your hands in the water and leave them there until they hurt with cold. Take them out and shove them in your jacket until warm again. Now you will have warm hands for the rest of the day without any gloves on. This tricks your circulation system into keeping open the blood vessels in your hands and they don’t get cold. If you don’t believe me try it, I guarantee you will be amazed.

Bimble

Forager
Jul 2, 2008
Stafford, England
Just thought I should mention that the low temperatures I'm talking about are in the UK (-10C). In much colder places I have no experiance, so take the below in that contex.

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
Thanks for the info, everyone! A vast subject.

In the UK as the weather varies a lot, we always seem to be taken by surprise whatever the weather and temperature. No conditions stay for long enough to justify a complete change in lifestyle.

But of course, lifestyle is an important factor as you (your body and your mental attitude)
get used to cold like to everything else. I remember an instance when I couldn't sleep due to cold conditions for the first few days, and then I could.

This remark is not great help here to those who wish to feel more comfortable during the present cold spell, for one the cold spell is not going to last for long enough for us to get used to it.

But one thing we should not forget:

for the past decades we have lived in warm indoors at almost all times and as a result conditions in the outdoors catch us unprepared mentally, physically and dresswise.

I grew up in the 50s in a middle-class family in town with outdoor toilets and heating not reaching every room and heating having first to be produced by the lighting in the cold of some form of fire.

I think that because of these first years, the outdoors are "home" too, which helps mentally a great deal whatever the outdoors throw at you!

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
Much of what has been said is good advice. but if i could add some advice...
It has been said that at low temperatures when working you have a choice of being cold and dry or warm and wet. When you stop working and generating excess heat ,and sweating the warm and wet soon changes to cold and wet ie the worst of both.One way round this is to use an impermeable base layer you will be a bit damp but as it does not evapourate /wick away this is not a problem in heat loss terms. You may feel a bit clammy but will stay warm. You can buy so called vapour layers but anything impermeable will do.eg.poly bags over foot beneath socks.I think polar expolorers use this approach as the dew point doesnt allow breathable kit to work at such low temps.
I always wear a thin silk running/liner glove £5 fom decathlon sport under any outer glove.mitten if you have to take your outer glove off for any fine work you can usually leave this inner glove on retaining heat.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Diet is important to. Make sure you are eating plenty of oily fish and eating at regular intervals. Poor eating habits can lead to poor circulation.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE