"Beater and Biter..."

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Very nice work Stuart:notworthy Red they just look great together, your one lucky man.

Simon.

M

mob257774

What an incredible pair of knives. When I first saw the finished Beater I was stunned, but as a pair they are almost beyond description.

D

Deleted dude 7861

Stunning :Wow: I like shiny sharp things and those pics make me salivate :lmao: Superb workmanship

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
Sorry about the terrible photos, I'll organise better once sheathed ;)

005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

*whimpers at the sheer awesomeness of the blades*

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well given the chats I thought you might like to see the sheath design. I'm using a new person this time since the guy who did the sheath for the PFK is booked up until Febuary, Singteck has gone home for a few years (damn that's annoying - the worlds best and cheapest leather worker - who makes house calls :cry: ) and the deal I struck with stu includes the sheath. Anyway there's a "new kid on the block" who has been turning out some nice looking sheaths - so MikeDB has offered to undertake the job. After exchanging sketches and chatting by e-mail. this is the working design.

image-5.jpg

This is the sheath front. Think of three layers of leather. The back two contain "beater" and the middle to front two contain "biter". The faint lines mark wet forming to grip the knives. There is a tie down at the bottom and a firesteel loop on the left. The sheath is right hand hip carry on a "double dangler" ( a high hip carry with an attached dangler loop which makes the knife hang below a hip belt on a pack)

image-4.jpg

This is the rear view. Tucked into the hollow at the bottom of the sheath is a pouch for one of my DC4 stones. I know people have different views of a stone on a sheath but I like it - it makes for a neat contained package. You might notice the slightly unusual belt loop design. This is Mikes own idea and allows the sheath to swivel clear when sitting, driving a vehicle etc.

What do you think?

Red

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I don't go for stones on sheaths, but if it is on the back that may not mind so much. I feel it spoils the look when it is on the front, you may have come up with a good alternative here!

Gailainne

Life Member
The finished knife package is a joy to the eye, I thought it would be something special with you and Stu collaborating again, and you delivered.

On the sheath, its a nice layout, but do you realise theres 6 thicknesses of leather on the bottom half of the sheath, not counting the firesteel loop, thats at the welt side, 3 sides, 1 common in the middle, 2 welts and the pocket for the dc4 ? and the firesteel loop has to be fitted in there somewhere also, might be getting a bit busy, and hefty, shrug my opinion.

As a suggestion, if you want to keep the package together, perhaps removing the dc4 and the steel, and using the dangle section attached to the belt to make a pouch to contain them.

Only my ramblings, to be taken as such.

Regards

Stephen

stuart m

Nomad
May 18, 2006
Sheffield
www.stuartmitchellknives.com
Crikey, this has been quiet for a while....

The knives were away with Mike for a while, getting their "Double" sheath, but, while they were away Red and I decided that it could also be a good idea to put them in their own single sheaths too, so we did... As soon as I had them back, I shipped them off again, this time to the fellow who sheated the PFK.

Here are the results of the project, all are now on their way to Red :)

STUARTKNIVES-00020.jpg

STUARTKNIVES-00034.jpg

STUARTKNIVES-00030.jpg

STUARTKNIVES-00038.jpg

I have just noticed that my photo guy has left the "Biter" ans the firesteel out of the sheathed double shot :confused: , it actually slides in behind the DC4 pouch....

I am sure that either Red or Mike will have a photo with them in place :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE