Beast of a Survival Saw!

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have an unused ex military issue Survival Saw for swaps, its big one! In fact its the biggest pocket chainsaw I have ever come across! I think, but don't quote me on this, that it is the same type that was issued to SOE guys during WW2.
Its a beast!:D

100_3398.jpg

100_3401.jpg

So if you fancy a swap let me know.

At the moment I'm after a couple of IPKs (The British Army NBC protective shelter sheet)
And a couple of new or in good condition Mora 760 Training knives / Mora Clipper knives.
But I'm open to other offers.

Thanks.

Leezo

On a new journey
May 5, 2008
GeordieLand
I'm interested mate, you got a pic? I have an IPK but it's out of it's outer wrapper, never been used though. Could add some cash. Let me know please

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Photos added.

I would be after at least a couple of IPKs or something of similar value (Approx £15 - 20)
Thanks

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If it helps they were known as "trench saws". Originally supplied with a file, tooth setter and two wooden handles in a green canvas bag. The bag was sealed in oil cloth and then wrapped in greased paper. For scale here is one shown against a modern folding chainsaw and a laplander etc.

They are a beast of a saw and that one looks in unused condition - they will roll into very small size (the whole bag is under 6" square) but are capable of sectioning tree trunks 2' in diameter. Generally the kit is missing but slip a couple of bits of wood through the brass rings and you are good to go. This is a pukka "set" saw and vastly superior to any other "pocket chain" saw you will ever see.

2277097355_528c756a5c_o.jpg

Red

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thanks BR, as you said though this is only the saw, there is no canvas bag and I had to open the plastic bag it was sealed in to take the photos, it is still covered in the original grease!

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
that realy is a beast!
iv got a pocket chainsaw but mines hopeless but iv herd these ones are briliant. i think these were origanaly used to fell poles in WW2 used by the germans to stop the allies from landing gliders on D day? these are much better than the type that uses cutters from a powered chainsaw which are only designed to cut in one direction.

pete

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I trained with these when I did my Combat Engineering, as did most of the old Sappers here on the forums. They really are wicked bits of kit but were phased out for some reason. Can't understand why, more tactical than a powered chainsaw and not likely to break down or run out of fuel.

Leezo

On a new journey
May 5, 2008
GeordieLand
I trained with these when I did my Combat Engineering, as did most of the old Sappers here on the forums. They really are wicked bits of kit but were phased out for some reason. Can't understand why, more tactical than a powered chainsaw and not likely to break down or run out of fuel.

I did my B3 in 98 and I cant remember using them but that doesnt mean we didnt lol Got a terrible memory

How much cash do you want plus the IPK sheet and i'll probably take it

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
They are bl***y brilliant, I have a "full kit" version with a saw set, file, handles and the canvas pouch. They are awesome in use too!
Not felled any telegraph poles.................yet! They do cut logs from a felled trunk very well though. I even used mine to shorten a sleeper for my shed base!

reddave

Life Member
Mar 15, 2006
stalybridge
I did my B3 in 98 and I cant remember using them but that doesnt mean we didnt lol Got a terrible memory

How much cash do you want plus the IPK sheet and i'll probably take it

Did mine in 83 and never 'saw' one of them, so if leezo doesn't have it, then I will. Please

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE