Bearded axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
I’m considering purchasing a bearded/Viking axe for light chopping & carving work.. I do find them ascetically pleasing to the eye & a piece of craftsmanship.
However being as I’ve never used one, Id like to know if anyone has used one or is suitable for the job in hand?

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
No experience of the Viking type of bearded axe but I have just purchased and am awaiting delivery of on of the Roselli axes which could suit your needs?

Sent from Somerset using magic

Reactions: CLEM

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have tried a Granny carving axe a couple of times and it was a Joy to use, especially leaning towards a slicing motion. I hewed out a bunch of bow staves with ease.

Regardless life`s short, if you have the cash go buy one and enjoy it :)

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
May I extend my thoughts to a tomahawk axe(removable head)

dwardo,
Maybe I’m missing something here..what is a granny carving axe, I’ve never heard of one. I’ve searched the web & came up a blank.

Swotto,
I await your out come of the Roseli , looks a great axe..kind of halfway between a bearded/ conventional type axe.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
The Roselli axe is good for splitting not quite so for much else. I have one with long handle and for it's weight it is an excellent splitter, I wouldn't even call it a general purpose one.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I have a nice one from Dave Budd. It's a beautiful thing; love the aesthetics too, but mine is for carving & a bit heavy for what you describe.
Give Dave a shout. I'm sure he'll be happy to advise.

Reactions: Sieddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE