Bearded axe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JohnL

Forager
Nov 20, 2007
West Sussex
Hi guys,
for a while now I have been on the look out for a bearded axe, for no other reason than I like the look of them. I looked at the gransfors bruks historical range but they don't seem to make them any more. I have asked multipal smiths for a quote but no one seems to have time.
Now I have found this on eBay.
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/201735788257

there seem to be many axes of this type coming out of Bulgaria and Eastern Europe, starting from £20 and going up to this at £75

what do people think?! Could be good, but might not be?

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Hi guys,
for a while now I have been on the look out for a bearded axe, for no other reason than I like the look of them. I looked at the gransfors bruks historical range but they don't seem to make them any more. I have asked multipal smiths for a quote but no one seems to have time.
Now I have found this on eBay.
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/201735788257

there seem to be many axes of this type coming out of Bulgaria and Eastern Europe, starting from £20 and going up to this at £75

what do people think?! Could be good, but might not be?

That is massively overpriced. I bought one from eastern europe. What you get is a thick wedge of steel, not very hard at all. After a bit of work, you'll have something useable as a "carpenter's axe" type, but too heavy for real carving use.

I like mine but it it not worth £75 that is a massive ripoff.

If you have that sort of money, talk to people like Dave budd (who might want a bit more than that but you'll get a decent bit of steel, not something one step above mild steel.

JohnL

Forager
Nov 20, 2007
West Sussex
I have emailed dave budd a few times but had no response so assumed he is to busy.

It is quite expensive but the same seller has others for £20, so I assumed this could be better made. All axes are just a metal wedge after all, but I don't see many people complaining gransfors are over priced?

Trotsky

I have emailed dave budd a few times but had no response so assumed he is to busy.

It is quite expensive but the same seller has others for £20, so I assumed this could be better made. All axes are just a metal wedge after all, but I don't see many people complaining gransfors are over priced?

Dave will get back to you, it just sometimes takes a little while. The first time I emailed him about ordering something it took a little over a fortnight. It all depends on what he's got on and if he can get at the PC. He's a nice guy though so I've little doubt you will hear from him and you won't regret buying from him.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden

Metal wedges yes, but the metals are different and the workmanship too.

You get what you pay for. Personally I would not pay the money they want for those rusty pos.
Just the description turns me off.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I can make you one from an existing head. Done a few on this thread and plenty of others that I haven't shown. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124816&page=5

I currently have a very large kent pattern axe head i'd be willing to recreate into a beared style. If you're interested just send me a pm. :)

Oh and check out the cold steel bran romahawks and viking axe, I've owned many of them and they;'re great value.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
If you want a good user as well as a good looking bearded axe. have a look at the Rosseli axe range. really well made axes that are still very practical. i've had move over 10 years and it still works beautifully and does all i need it to do.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Hi John,

I think I just replied to your email? What Trotsky said is quite right, I do take a few weeks to reply to emails. I would rather be in the workshop making stuff than sifting through offers of enlargements, google rankings and offers of investments from Nigeria every day. I have to force myself to spend a day every couple of weeks sitting infront of the frustration engine and catch up on genuine emails!

Anyway, axes. I don't have much in the way of axes at all right now. I have one bearded axe head on it's own (a shiny one!) and one finished bearded axe. If I did just email you, then you'll have details and pictures ;)

I'll be making more beardies soon, but won't have anything ready for a month or two. The show season runs from March to November and my season of woodland management runs from November to March, so getting stuff made is tricky!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE