Bear on Ray

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
So it's gone from bear and ray slagging each other off to forum members slagging each other off.
Time to look at being more tolerant and respecting other peoples opinions for what they are,opinions which we are all entitled to and which we should all be able to voice without fear of abuse and ridicule.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
So it's gone from bear and ray slagging each other off to forum members slagging each other off.
Time to look at being more tolerant and respecting other peoples opinions for what they are,opinions which we are all entitled to and which we should all be able to voice without fear of abuse and ridicule.

My apoligies.

Bernie

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
I was always under the impression that we were all alot bigger than petty bickering on here.

C'mon now, TEAM HUG!! :grouphug: :beerchug:

Dan

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
I risk a chastisement here, but please dont insinuate that because someone is religious they follow a higher set of values. two thousand years of history says otherwise to an image of the meek turning the other cheek.

No chastisement... not my place to. It was not my intention to insinuate that christian or any other religious values are of higher worth than any other values including financial ones.It just struck me that in his books Bear paints a picture of a very very religious christian Guy and it would probably be at odds with his own self image to slag Ray off on Tv or respond in a like vein to criticism As a matter of fact it irritates me intensely when people asume that because i am not religious i somehow have either no morals or a lower standard. in rejecting formal religion i have had to think long and hard in order to formulate my own position

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
No chastisement... not my place to. It was not my intention to insinuate that christian or any other religious values are of higher worth than any other values including financial ones.It just struck me that in his books Bear paints a picture of a very very religious christian Guy and it would probably be at odds with his own self image to slag Ray off on Tv or respond in a like vein to criticism As a matter of fact it irritates me intensely when people asume that because i am not religious i somehow have either no morals or a lower standard. in rejecting formal religion i have had to think long and hard in order to formulate my own position

Youre probably right about keeping to an image, though Ive not read his books, but i do know he promotes the alpha course. Ive been through the same dilemma as you i think - that of not following a formal religion and so taking my own moral stances, unfortunatley so many people (not people on this forum I might add) have a notion that morality comes from believing in god and not from the heart.

blackwolf1

Dec 12, 2007
Auburn,Maine U.S.A.
It's interestering for me to read these comments about Ray and Bear.I feel they are both good at what they do.They have BOTH influenced me in different ways.I thank them both for the work they have done on television and in print.They have both taken my family and myself to different places we'll never be able to get to ourselves.We have fun watching the adventures of both men, especially my 6yr old boy.
These arguments,to me are just silly.It's sounds a bit like two kids on a playground saying "My dad can beat up your dad!"
Thats just my opinion.

Glosfisher

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2007
Cotswolds
I risk a chastisement here, but please dont insinuate that because someone is religious they follow a higher set of values. two thousand years of history says otherwise to an image of the meek turning the other cheek.

I didn't know Grylls was a Christian until now but he's always struck me as being almost Jesuitical in his enthusiasm for personal suffering. A member of Opus Die perhaps......?

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
In the interests of world peace and harmony, this week, I was mostly wearing a Ray Mears t-shirt under Bear G Merino-wool jumper. Ahhhhhhh.....

This either makes me a double loser (and I'm about to get flamed to kingdom come :slap: :buttkick: :twak: ); or, a peacemaker, the likes of which should be at work bringing the much-misunderstood Terry Taliban in Afghanistan to the negotiating table. And, Terry, I promise not to shoot at you this time. :AR15firin

Flame away, boys! :D

By the way, the weather here is shocking today! Someone have a word, eh?

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Seems to me that Bear sells sensationalism, Ray sells knowledge. (Although I laughed when he touted the wondrous Baker tent while canoeing in Canada, then complained about how smokey the fire made it. He had it set up wrong - the awning gets thrown over the back when there's a fire in front. Wonder if anyone ever told him.)

Armleywhite

Nomad
Apr 26, 2008
Leeds
www.motforum.com
Sorry to put in my pennorth, but having seen active service, in several theatres and worked many times with various arms of the special forces, although me not being that "hard" :) I'd like to point out that the rigours of their training, weather TA or Regular are so far detatched from "normality" it beggers beleif.

Ray Mears has inspired me in so much of my life, as far as Bushcraft goes. His method of teaching being 100% in tune with the natural world around him, especially here in the UK.

Bear Grills is a sensationalist for his TV, but from my own experience can confirm that a lot of it is used to teach special forces in their own survival techniques. For example, his time in Iceland where he tries to traverse the small deep fjorde, full of arctic melt water. He tells you that if you do go in, your body will immediately start to shut down from the shock of the sheer cold, therefore it best to scan the horizon of hot water steam vents to return your core temt to normal. Whats wrong in that. Damn good advie imho. Majority of his filming points out pure survival techniques NOT bushcraft skills. The time in Florida when he explains how to get out of a mud bog. Such simple things mean you'll live on in such crappy condidtions.

Eating some of the crap he does, IS sensational TV, but can save your life if you find yourself in similar circumstance.

BOTH give fantastic tips for either survival or bushcraft living. BOTH have a valid point.

I trust this should solve the issue once and for all...

Bushcraft FightClub!

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Ray+Mears&word2=Bear+Grylls

Womble - after seeing that link, I thought a bit of "winner stays on" would be telling...

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Britney+Spears&word2=Bear+Grylls

Bear got his bottom kicked.

Haha.

Now, though I'm not keen on Grylls' show, I don't see the point of the whole Bear vs Ray thing. It is a tad silly.

stan794

Nov 16, 2007
Corby
I think the fact that Bear was SAS TA is irrelevant. Andy McNab was regular SAS and Chris Ryan SAS TA, which one walked 300 miles and got away!

bob_the_bomb

Tenderfoot
Oct 2, 2008
Cambodia
I doubt TA SAS selection can be described as easy, especially as candidates are also holding down a full time job at the same time. I spent time as a regular permanent staff instructor in a TA unit and I was surprised to find out that they didnt just go back into a lead-lined box during the week...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE