Bear Hating

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
No!
That would ruin them! - I hate stretch - I love a genuine fit!

Stretch panels are a necessity when crouching down and catching serpents. Nothing worse than having tight trouser/knee problems when crouching down quickly to catch cobras. With both hands full you can't pinch them up to prevent it, and it's an uncomfortable distraction trust me ;)

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
This video clip tells me everything I need to know about Edward Michael Grylls: :rolleyes:

[video=youtube;3UpSlpvb1is]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpSlpvb1is[/video]

I don't hate the bloke, but neither do I have any respect for him, nor anyone else who would fake something like this and then pretend it was real.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have yet to kill any of my 5.11 kit, despite some of it being over a decade old!

I've killed about 5 pairs of their strides....but no complaints, they last at least a couple of years of near constant wear doing all sorts of horrible work with chemicals and saws and brush cutters - eventually I wear through the fabric, but they are the toughest, most comfortable strides I know!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Stretch panels are a necessity when crouching down and catching serpents. Nothing worse than having tight trouser/knee problems when crouching down quickly to catch cobras. With both hands full you can't pinch them up to prevent it, and it's an uncomfortable distraction trust me ;)

Body shape/cut and fit again I think - I have no binding issues but then I am short and fat (36" waist 28" inside leg) so the leg is good and wide on me :) I can roll around in all sorts of contortions without the need to manually adjust the trousers :)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Body shape/cut and fit again I think - I have no binding issues but then I am short and fat (36" waist 28" inside leg) so the leg is good and wide on me :) I can roll around in all sorts of contortions without the need to manually adjust the trousers :)

Yeah, that'd be it. You know how tall I am, and my trouser size is 32" waist with a 34" inside leg or longer if bespoke.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I've killed about 5 pairs of their strides....but no complaints, they last at least a couple of years of near constant wear doing all sorts of horrible work with chemicals and saws and brush cutters - eventually I wear through the fabric, but they are the toughest, most comfortable strides I know!

You need more pairs to rotate through - I maintain a stable of about 4 Tac-lites, 2 originals, 1 Kodiak, 2 Covert cargo, 2 TDU, 1 Realtree and then 6 tac-lite shirts, 4 originals, 1 TDU, 1 Realtree and - new and currently being reviewed - 1 Traverse :)
I also like their packs and boots :)
I guess that their sizing is just ideal for me :) while their build quality beats any other I know of... and they are not embroidered with anybody's name :)
If they did a good 1960's type SAS Smock inspired jacket (no better jacket in my eyes) I would be in heaven :)
I am not saying there are not good items made by other makers - I know there are and I use several makes not just 5.11 - but I think that some trade on names - their own or a celebrities - too much or rely on "Fashion" cuts and looks too much.
I like plain, functional kit with no "contrast" panels fashion colours (lime green? Blearch!) or celebrities names as sales points ...
I work, rest and play in my "bushy" kit and all day today I have been out, working in the woods with saws, mauls, gluts, billhooks and machetes and now am sitting at the confuser, still in the same kit which still smells sweet and is comfortable - Tac-Lite shirt and Realtree trousers :)
I do not hate BG - hate is too strong a word really - but his endorsement of gear is no recommendation to me ... somewhat the opposite in fact and I would not want to associate what I do with what he does by wearing gear with his name all over it.
Equally I would not buy a GB axe labelled with RM's logo as I would prefer to promote GB than any celebrity - even RM for whom I have much more respect (for all his human frailties :) )
Too much Nettle Wine, too many words :)

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
This video clip tells me everything I need to know about Edward Michael Grylls: :rolleyes:

I don't hate the bloke, but neither do I have any respect for him, nor anyone else who would fake something like this and then pretend it was real.

at no point did he say he wasnt near a road or that his life was in danger. you REALLY dont understand telly do you? i dont hear anyone shouting down ray mears because his life wasnt in danger when he was demonstrating a survival technique

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
5.11 is pretty superb. I have loads of their stuff. But they need to make a pair of tac-lites with stretch panels on the knee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tell them John, tell them!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
5.11 is pretty superb. I have loads of their stuff. But they need to make a pair of tac-lites with stretch panels on the knee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tell them John, tell them!

Shan't! :)Stryke pants might suit you though - built in 2 way stretch. Good trousers but I like the Original and Tac Lites better :)

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK

Oh dear, is that what you really think? I think that's very funny.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I can't help but like the chap, he's alright! And I'am alright about that too! I wouldn't mind some of his gear either to be honest! I'd deffo buy some if you could get minus the BIG BG stuff/badges on em!!!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You need more pairs to rotate through - I maintain a stable of about 4 Tac-lites, 2 originals, 1 Kodiak, 2 Covert cargo, 2 TDU, 1 Realtree and then 6 tac-lite shirts, 4 originals, 1 TDU, 1 Realtree and - new and currently being reviewed - 1 Traverse :)........

........I am not saying there are not good items made by other makers - I know there are and I use several makes not just 5.11.......

LOL. Not disputing the logic of that; but rotating through that many different pairs, you can hardly say that they've been in "constant use."

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Oh, its Bear Hating?
Thought it was Beer Hatting:(
A798D57761.jpg

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I keep reading the thread as "Bear baiting". Although that is not too far from the truth.

CACTUS ELF

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 16, 2012
Cheshire
I recently brought a Lowe alpine back pack, it's not Bear Grylls endorsed but it is black grey and orange I'm colour. I'm concerned it may get confused at the bushcraft show for a BG item resulting in an attack by the anti BG club. Don't get me wrong here, this is more about personal survival than bushcraft but thought it worth a mention. Maybe I should by something green? "Just don't go" I hear you shout but you see I enjoy bushcraft and survival and feel I can take something from most of the show presenters, Cody, les, ray, mors and so on. I also accept that they all have faults and due to the nature of demonstrating techniques on TV I have to make allowances for bits not being real. Not a bad thing really, as I'm sure if in real survival situations they wouldn't have much of a career and I wouldn't learn as much. Then again, who am I to say. I've not written books, presented TV or ran my own school on the subject. As I said before, I simply enjoy the topic 😀

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
So if you take something from all these guys, are you the guy who goes round with no shoes, shorts, bandanna, all in green, and a beret with red bobble on it? (not to mention the DC flowing hair.. damn, I mentioned it!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE