Bear Grylls Ultimate knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The reviews I have seen talked about it coming to pieces in heavy usage... I take it that this has been resolved then?

It seems to be. I used the new version and used the pommel to crumble sandstone lumps as I was eating a hot pot. I was pressed to find a use over a barren heathland, but it did that quite well. The blade was much thicker and far more robust than expected. As I said, it is actually quite well made. The colours and big BG put me off (how daft is that, inverse snobbery at work within me here), and the serrations are minimal compared to the Bayley. I really can't knock it as much as I'd like to. It's actually OK. If you are a big BG fan, then you can do a lot worse than get one.

That is an absolutely unbiased view. Most others out there seem to be swayed by intense hatred of his programmes and advice therein.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It seems to be. I used the new version and used the pommel to crumble sandstone lumps as I was eating a hot pot. I was pressed to find a use over a barren heathland, but it did that quite well. The blade was much thicker and far more robust than expected. As I said, it is actually quite well made. The colours and big BG put me off (how daft is that, inverse snobbery at work within me here), and the serrations are minimal compared to the Bayley. I really can't knock it as much as I'd like to. It's actually OK. If you are a big BG fan, then you can do a lot worse than get one.

That is an absolutely unbiased view. Most others out there seem to be swayed by intense hatred of his programmes and advice therein.
Bejaaz - who cooked that Hotpot? - A Troll?
The dislike of the colours and logo need not show inverse snobbery...just good aethetic taste!
I have a dislike on practical level of serations on all but dedicated rope/webbing blades and the worst seem to be placed right where I want the strongest straightest bit of edge...by the handle.
The BGU just ticks all the "not needed on voyage" boxes for me I am afraid ...a bit like the RM Wilkinson Survival knife did...

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Would oyu rate it over this Gerber though? just limit your self to the Gerber range for now.
Prodigy. £55
4265.jpg

or would you pump the wallet and pop for this the LMF 2 £100

1042.jpg

these to being made in the Portland shop.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The sandstone wasn't in the hotpot ya numpty. Just by me and I was bored.

It is inverse snobbery in my case. I love the Craghoppers BG stuff (well some of it), but hate the fact it has his name on it, even though in most cases , it is subtle. Now that is silly, right?

I'm with you on serrations JF. I don't like them. But these are like the Victorinox ones and quite subtle. It's a ver ergonmic knife too. That surprised me. Bit too grippy for me, but much better in hand over time using than the F1.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Would oyu rate it over this Gerber though? just limit your self to the Gerber range for now.
Prodigy. £55
4265.jpg

or would you pump the wallet and pop for this the LMF 2 £100

1042.jpg

these to being made in the Portland shop.

Bout the same as those two. But you do get the integral firesteel and sharpner with the BG. Plus, it is BG branded which is an attraction to BG fans. Seems a fair price to me.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
ahaa you get a sharpener with these two(see those dark lines on the sheaths) my own personal stupid snobbery is where the bg one is made, but I guess it would be to be able to meet production cost and demand.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
ahaa you get a sharpener with these two(see those dark lines on the sheaths) my own personal stupid snobbery is where the bg one is made, but I guess it would be to be able to meet production cost and demand.

I know what you mean. But we shouldn't judge by that. Some great knives are made in China. Spyderco Tenacious for one. It's about quality control by the parent company.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I know what you mean. But we shouldn't judge by that. Some great knives are made in China. Spyderco Tenacious for one. It's about quality control by the parent company.

Jonathan, as always your taste in knives closely parallels my own. I really love my Tenacious and like it much better than my expensive Paramilitary. A real gem for the money. I did buy one of the BG Parangs when they first went on sale, but it is still in it's clamshell packaging as I really haven't figured out why I bought it :p
I prefer a Tramontina machete or even a Martindale #2, I know they will hold up in the field.
As far as the GB knife goes, I probably will never own one, since I retired a year ago I have less expendable cash. I have always been happy with a good Mora though, not once disappointed in the quality of the blades. The new Companion I have was given to me by a friend that runs a survival/bushcraft school and it is quite sturdy with the longer, 3/4 length tang. Besides, didn't I see that the BG knife weighs 8 ounces? That is heavier than a Woodlore or clone and twice as heavy as a Mora with sheath. Serrations...just say NO to them! Cheers.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
You can pick up a Frosts Mora for under a tenner - for the price they're pretty damn good

Yup

A couple of weeks ago I was on a school trip. the kids made shelters, longbows. I made a couple of spoons, a walking stick with a square mortise and tenon and some other bits.

The tools I used were a Mora 106 and an Opinel saw. Total cost £22.

Would I rather I had any single knife costing over £50?

No.

The only advantage an expensive knife would have is (possibly) aesthetics and bragging rights.

Get a Mora clipper, a folding saw and some sharpening tools.

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
check out youtube there are about 3 difrent people saying there is a fault with them the but of the knife cracks realy easy and that is a very bad thing as it is sold as a survival knife. i use a condor bushlore its a raymears bushlore replica 5 mins on the jap sharpening stone and its a bloody brilliant knife for £30 imo if you get one make sure you get it from heeniehaynes they got the 2011 model where the grind runs to the handle

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I must agree with Jonathan as I already own several Gerber knives and have no complaints (other than the serrations limiting their use to mainly climbing trips).
BG picked a good company to work with.BUT there is no way I would buy the BG knife because of the way it looks and the way it has been aimed (imho) specifically at
young people taking their first steps in bushcraft.There are so many good makers on this forum that BG ought to be the cutter of last resort.
My faves of the moment are a Robevs bushtool and a sweet little knife from John Fenna with a scandi blade and an olive wood handle.Totally different but both feel
good in the hand.Wood vs plastic for me is no contest : wood every time.
Having said that I bought our Scout group a dozen Moras from Clas Ohlsen and they work just fine! Horses for courses I guess!
Cheers , Simon

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I'm thinking of buying this knife,

basically I love Bear, can't get enough of him,

but would the fact that the knife is not full tang put you off?

Would I be better saving for a Fallkniven F1?

Have a long think about what you are going to use your knife for.
Think about the knife skills needed for 'bushcraft' or 'woodcraft'.
Get down to your library and order up a copy of Ray Mears's 'Outdoor Survival Handbook' or Mors Kochanski's 'Bushcraft: Outdoor Skills and Wilderness Survival', both of these titles will give you some idea of what you can accomplish with the right skills.

Also look at this earlier thread about the Mors Kochanski 'Try Stick'.

There isn't a perfect knife for everyone, however by determining what you actually want to achieve with your knife, you will be able to make a more informed choice.

:)

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I will have various knives with me at the Moot - if you are coming I could let you have a try with a couple so that you can get an idea of what your options realy are....

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
right the bear knife is aimed as a survival knife and not a bushcrcaft knife the serations are there for a reason, if you have ever climbed or used rope then knives with serations are ideal. But since this is a bushcraft thread then id agree with most of the above comments a straight edge blade is best and if you want a rope knife as an option you can always get a wee serated folder or sak type for an edc. I have a small folding knife with serated blade and use it for cutting rope only anything else its just not up to the job really but if a rope is under tension then you only need to touch it with a good serated blade and your free falling again :D

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
good plan those Dajo's seem like a decent enough start

when you start looking have a Look at ENZO knives you can buy them in couple of different steels, a number of sizes and even as kits or blanks if you fancy having a go at putting one together yourself

one thing you gota ask yourself about the gerber is have you ever seem bear using one?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE