Bear Grylls- TV programme

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
Wink said:
Come on chaps, this overanalysis is ridiculous! Of course he has a camera crew with him, who will be equipped to the hilt. Of course he will be obliged (probably by the TV company insurance people) to take reasonable measures to protect himself. Of course he has probably had to take several takes to get the right shot for the TV camera, so you are not necessarily seeing it "as it happens". That is not fakery, it's TV. He is trying to show techniques that can be used in survival situations, and demonstrate how he would use them, whilst being entertaining.

Are we saying that the notted paracord protection against crevasses is a bad idea? Would the programme have been better if he had told us and then not demonstrated? Would you rather he had pretended not to have got the squits from drinking bad water? Would it be better TV if he had wrapped the fish in reindeer moss stuffed with juniper berries and roasted slowly over the "right kind of fire", instead of ramming it down his throat and moving on?

You can't have it both ways. He is being accused of "being patronising by overstating danger", and at the same time being reckless and encouraging dangerous practices.

And why is someone cutting their finger whilst making a snowshoe funny? I have been handling knives for thirty years and have cut myself plenty in that time, as have most on this forum, I suspect! But of course, the conspiracy theorists among you will think that the blood was ketchup anyway...

Roll on the next episode!

PS Maybe a fourway fight between Bear, Ray, Survivorman and Lofty? Now that would be television!
Yeah, I agree with all of that.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
loz. said:
My 6 year old daughter asked why he didn't make a shelter out of his parachute ? - rather than the crappy scrape with the fire round the corner from him !

I think he was saying he only wanted use the clothes on his back and the few possesions he was carrying. As he said he good really do with the rope from the parachute, but I guess he thought that'd be cheating.

I actually quite enjoyed it (just watched the first episode I downloaded), yes it was over dramatised and quite possibly he was helped up the tree (he climbed up to see over the canopy), as how else were the camera crew right next to him to film it. But it was quite interesting none the less and beats 90% of the other crap on TV.

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
Zammo said:
I think he was saying he only wanted use the clothes on his back and the few possesions he was carrying. As he said he good really do with the rope from the parachute, but I guess he thought that'd be cheating..

He used his paracord to bind his snowshoes, and also as a safty harness for the rope bridge.

So as for cheating ? - no - i think bad improvisation of what he had around him

L

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Surely cooking that fish would have made it easier to digest? Quickly whip out the guts, ram a stick in its' mouth and prop it over the fire, easy. I cannot see why he needed to eat it raw. It was a shock factor, and that's it.

I'd prefer to see him do a good survival programme where he takes a subject at a time in a setting most people in Britain may find themselves. I can't see many people even going to the Alps, let alone parachuting on to them and getting lost!!

He could do a great programme in wales or on Dartmoor, breaking the programme down into skill sets such as shelter one week, food the next, water (!) for another, trapping animals, etc. It would be a fantastic series.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Pablo's equation:

Information gleaned fromTV Survival programmes minus (-) what looks pretty stupid to me plus (+) reliable information gained from other sources (like BCUK) equals (=) a pretty good idea on what to do :p

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Wink said:
Come on chaps, this overanalysis is ridiculous! Of course etc. etc. et.c..

Its okay to have two opinions you know Wink - (isn't there something ironic about saying don't overanalyse and then proceding to analyse..or is it me?).

Look you think the guy is cool. I think he's a complete twit. No harm, no foul - you are just as entitled to your view as I am to mine!

As you say - no need to keep hashing it over. His need t pretend to be doing things he clearly isn't clearly irritates some of us and other people think its "just entertainment" or "showing military style Escape and Evasion". Both are okay - if you feel it interesting, entertaining, or useful to escape and evade in the jungle - all power to you. I just prefer to watch people showing things they are really doing that interest me and I might do myself one day. Different strokes and all that

Red

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
tedw said:
Imagine some young soldiers out in the wild on an expedition or exercise getting into trouble because they copied his frenzied style - it's not too much to say that people could get hurt, even die, because of this nonsense. :(

End of sermon!

Not to overstate this, but you have hit a nail on the head. I worked with american chap, who told me about his time in the war that they never won. (I can't see him being a braggard about being in "Nam" as he told me right off that he drove a forktruck) that John Wayne stlye hero's (hanging granades from their shirts pockets or from their belts by the pins) killed quite a lot of troops. they saw a "screen star" do it and copied it, much to their and their comrades loss

loz. said:
My 6 year old daughter asked why he didn't make a shelter out of his parachute ? - rather than the crappy scrape with the fire round the corner from him !
out of the mouths of babes. and all that

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Seems to me we're living in the age of the cult of celebrity. And that if you want to acquire celebrity status, become a cult hero and make lots of dough, you have to find a niche, a new angle. Bear is carving out his gung-ho niche pretty well with this show on prime time. The chat shows and media circus will lap him up and he'll be laughing all the way to the bank before you know it. Sure, he's being a bit of an idiot at times if you have read up and done a bit of bushcraft, but isn't it all very calculated for effect and to secure his niche? I think so. I respect him for that in some ways, and also because he is clearly putting himself in tough situations. Overall, though, the intensity makes me chuckle, which is enough reason to watch. Good luck to him - the way he's carrying on, sooner or later he'll need a lot of it however rich and famous he becomes!

Chris

Dunelm

Forager
May 24, 2005
County Durham
Wink said:
And why is someone cutting their finger whilst making a snowshoe funny? I have been handling knives for thirty years and have cut myself plenty in that time, as have most on this forum, I suspect! But of course, the conspiracy theorists among you will think that the blood was ketchup anyway...

Did you see the way he was holding the stick with one hand and hacking away with the knife - towards the afore-said hand? Of course I've cut my self - when I was about 7 and my Nana brought me back a pen-knife from her holiday on the Isle of Wight - but since I've been a grown-up I honestly can't remember cutting towards my self :eek:

I know he was tired/hungry/dehydrated/cold/hot/runny nose etc but please - cutting towards yourself in a "survival situation" is not something those who would preach to others should do.

And it's funny in the same way Jackass is funny or watching Z-list attention-***** "celebrities" eating larvae or freaking out under showers of creepy crawlies is funny - it tickles a little maliscious bone we all have. The Germans call it Schadenfreude.

As a lot of people have said - It's Fake![/B]

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
it's fake??? :eek:

there is a bit in that snow shoe segment where he cuts straight through the branch at ninety degrees and the perfectly square end of the shortened stick looks very much like it was sawn through. :borgsmile

it's about 2 minutes into one of the highlights on you tube. sadly, the quality of the footage on you tube doesn't really let you see the texture. but you can see that the end of the branch is perfectly square. that is an achievement.

cheers, and.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Check this one out - it's the fishing from an icehole segment - pay really, really close attention to the "hooks he made from wire from his parachute harness".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHdOTLfbExs

Bear Grylls said:
...and then just put some makeshift hooks along here, which I've made just from a bit of the wire from my parachute harness...

hook.jpg

Hmmmm. Barbed?

....here's some wine I made from water...

:rolleyes:

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Lots of debate on Bear, I agree with most all of what is said. He is a showman, not showing good safety, although secretly practicing safety. So that makes him smarter than he trys to demonstrate to his audience.
My problem is with the clear portrayal of "technique" to use in a survival situation. A few good points here and there but mostly theatrics designed to thrill and impress the audience. Think about this one, a person with no bushcraft or survival skills could be interpreting this as the proper way to conduct yourself in the wilderness. Yes, we all see the silly bits, but the uninitiated only see "skills".
Likely someday someone will actually try some of this and hurt themselves or worse. Jackass bushcraft sums it all up pretty well in my opinion.
I can tell you about E&E from a US Special Forces perspective and there are times moving rapidly may be necessary and desireable. However, more often moving carefully, slowly and quietly is much more effective. The only times we were moving fast was when we knew we were compromised and had to put some distance between us and the threat. Don't see how that fits into Bear's programs unless some tariff collector is chasing him off camera.
Just wait until you guys see Bear squeeze moisture from the elephant crap and drink it. Ideal stuff for sure!
Cheers

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Here is what the Radio Times said for the Saturday programme:

DOCUMENTARY
Born Survivor: Bear Grylls 7.20pm C4
"Move over Ray Mears, there's a new Boy Scout in the woods*. This
week, Grylls parachutes into the French Alps and shows us how to
survive. He doesn't make it easy on himself, either. Bear's the kind
of man who sees a crevasse, jumps into it, then tells us how gruelling
it is to climb out. But we don't care, Bear! You're the one who chose
this way to make a living, you mad fool! Next he leaps through some
ice into a frozen lake, climbs out, strips naked, and dries himself down -
with some snow.

Actually, that part is impressive, as is the scene where he takes a big
bite out of a live trout as if it were so much corn on the cob. He just
doesn't care. And there are invaluable tips if you ever find yourself
stranded in the Alps, such as how to do a Tyrolean traverse or tie a
Prussic loop. You never know..."

THE INSIDE STORY
Bear Grylls describes his experience inside a snow cave as
"the worst night of my life" in tonight's episode of Born Survivor
(7.20pm C4). "When I've been on climbing expeditions in the past,"
he says, "you've always got sleeping bags, a roll mat and food.
When you've got nothing, it's really hard." But what about the camera
and sound team? "They're the real heroes, in my eyes. Simon Reay
and Paul Ritz have been there with me for 90 per cent of what I've
done. They may have waterproofs and proper food, and get
helicoptered out for a night to recharge the camera batteries
before being put back again, but they've been a rock for me."

I wish I didn't keep missing this - it sounds really quite interesting.

*pish tosh

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Just watched the second episode, surely he would have suffucated in that Snow cave he made, he was completely buried come the morning?!

You've got to admit he does know a bit of stuff know, building shelters, identifying plants and trees. So he's not totally clueless. But then again he does do things Lofty Wiseman would frown upon, batoning with his only knife using a rock, throwing himself at break neck speed down steep hills etc.

I have still not read one review that this program has anything to do with bushcraft, i have not seen anything in his program that i would consider bushcraft, in fact, i don't think he ever mentions the word bushcraft.
Honestly in Ray Mears Extreme Survival did any of you see or hear Ray pick away at every single detail on how his chosen subjects managed to survive or not, I never heard him say once that "this bloke could of survived better if he had a bushcraft knife (available at woodlore for ****loads of your money) but instead he had a divers knife, poor bloke he could of survived like a king but sadly he only came out with just his life - what a jackass".
if this was a survival forum then i would expect all this but in a bushcraft forum about bushcraft discussing the molecular details about a program that has nothing to do with bushcraft is plain wrong people, survival - a state of life and death, bushcraft - a way of living.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Nomad_Of_Soul said:
I have still not read one review that this program has anything to do with bushcraft, i have not seen anything in his program that i would consider bushcraft, in fact, i don't think he ever mentions the word bushcraft.
Honestly in Ray Mears Extreme Survival did any of you see or hear Ray pick away at every single detail on how his chosen subjects managed to survive or not, I never heard him say once that "this bloke could of survived better if he had a bushcraft knife (available at woodlore for ****loads of your money) but instead he had a divers knife, poor bloke he could of survived like a king but sadly he only came out with just his life - what a jackass".
if this was a survival forum then i would expect all this but in a bushcraft forum about bushcraft discussing the molecular details about a program that has nothing to do with bushcraft is plain wrong people, survival - a state of life and death, bushcraft - a way of living.

Every post you've made so far has been either in support of Bear Grylls or castigating members who raise issues over the programme.

Now you seem to be saying that we are not allowed to talk about anything but Bushcraft on this forum. I certainly wouldn't feel its my place to tell the other members this and i've been on these boards a while longer than you mate.
:(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE