Bear Grylls- TV programme

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
That guy's programs are about as instructive and realistic as watching Rambo. Complete pulp infotainment. I can see why people are picking holes in them - but if what you want is armchair fodder then I suppose its OK. My £0.02 worth.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Nomad_Of_Soul said:
I have still not read one review that this program has anything to do with bushcraft, i have not seen anything in his program that i would consider bushcraft, in fact, i don't think he ever mentions the word bushcraft.
Honestly in Ray Mears Extreme Survival did any of you see or hear Ray pick away at every single detail on how his chosen subjects managed to survive or not, I never heard him say once that "this bloke could of survived better if he had a bushcraft knife (available at woodlore for ****loads of your money) but instead he had a divers knife, poor bloke he could of survived like a king but sadly he only came out with just his life - what a jackass".
if this was a survival forum then i would expect all this but in a bushcraft forum about bushcraft discussing the molecular details about a program that has nothing to do with bushcraft is plain wrong people, survival - a state of life and death, bushcraft - a way of living.

You do seem to be defending this guy a lot. Your real name, it isn't Bear Grylls by any chance?!! :p

:D

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
But then again he does do things Lofty Wiseman would frown upon, batoning with his only knife using a rock,

bet you i can find a big diagram of how to smack the back of your knife with a rock in the sas survival handbook by lofty though :rolleyes: :D

oh well there are good bits and bad bits, it's mostly entertaining. i'll still be watching if i remember, and the misrepresentation will still be irksome to me, and potentially fatal to someone else.

cheers, and.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
sargey said:
bet you i can find a big diagram of how to smack the back of your knife with a rock in the sas survival handbook by lofty though :rolleyes: :D

Yeah I remember there is a picture showing this but it also says not to do it if its your only knife.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Mikey B said:
having said the above I've just watched him eat a trout raw and eat maggots scooped from a rotting carcass, the guy is for real - shame about the style of the program - the Alps episode is the best.

Mike.
If people follow this example in survival situation they are noy likely to survive.
running down steep slopes, climbing more trees and crossing a dodgy old rope bridge are foolish the SUPPOSED sruvival situation. :confused:

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Nomad_Of_Soul said:
if this was a survival forum then i would expect all this but in a bushcraft forum about bushcraft discussing the molecular details about a program that has nothing to do with bushcraft is plain wrong people, survival - a state of life and death, bushcraft - a way of living.

What's in a name? One might say bushcraft, another survival and yet another wilderness living....is there a difference? Only to those that care ;)

All credit to Bear for what he's been through and what he knows and is capable of but the show is made as TV entertainment and who ever let fact get in the way of entertainment? :lmao:

Watch it and enjoy it for what it is and if you feel the need to tell us all where he went wrong then feel free too.....chances are we already know but hey it's still nice to talk about it.

Anybody remember the catch phrase "It's only a puppet"? Well this is "it's only a TV show". :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

And I agree with Marts.....we'll talk about what we like here thanks (within reason and the rules of course) and if you don't like it then don't join in :p

Cheers,

Bam. :D

StigOfTheDump

Tenderfoot
Jan 26, 2007
Galloway
I think there are many elements of bushcraft in these programs, or the two ive seen so far, but i also think these programs are very disingenuous.

I really got the feeling watching them that the settings had been scouted out well in advance in order to provide those dramatic shots that everyone has noted, by which i mean the water fall with the vines that he climbed down, the avalanche site and that gully between the rocks in the snow.

I still think this is a very polished rip off of Les Strouds programs.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Greg said:
By the way I'm not sure who it was that said the TA SAS selection isn't as hard as the Regular SAS, but I say this to you, could you give up every w/end for 2 yrs plus attend 2 training nights a week in only 1 of 2 training establishments in the UK, which means you have to have the dedication to travel from where ever you live and back and then go and do your normal daily job in between which will probably mean you would have very little or no social life, and then hand yourself over to the JSSF Training Wing for final jungle, E&E and RTI Training to pass out as a special forces soldier.
The training doesn't stop there either you will be expected to be available at very short notice to go away for sometimes months at a time and not be able to tell anybody about it.

I certainly couldn't do it.

The TA SAS are every bit as good as the regulars and deserve all the respect that their counterparts get!

So if Mr Grylls was indeed TA SAS then my hat goes off to him because the training regime is alot harder than what a regular soldier would have to go through purely for the fact that he would have to try and get on with his civilian life after the training which I reckon would be pretty solid!

End of rant!!:)

It was me.

No offense meant.

I didnt say it was easier - i said it wasnt the same - it isnt.

I would never knock anybody from the Regiment, regular or TA - been there & know better.

The majority of the training is (or was in my time) based more around the martial arts than the survival arts, for obvious and perfectly good reasons, that was all I was trying to say.

Cheers Nick

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
Zammo said:
Yeah I remember there is a picture showing this but it also says not to do it if its your only knife.

hey, i never said i could read, i ju's' look at the pictures! :D btw if any prehistoric apemen are reading this, the trick is to bang rocks together guys, throwing bones at the moon whilst humming a viennese waltz never got anybody anywhere...

;)

cheers, and.

Mikey B

Jun 22, 2005
South Wales
Look at Bears' Web site click the link below

http://www.beargrylls.com/gallery.html

look at the 5th photo down in the middle column. The cameraman just happened to have a BEE Keeping overallls in his camera bag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My ****! For me this photo proves that the whole thing is set up and engineered with a full crew and production personel - if you watch this episode on 'you tube' Bear presents the bee hive as a lucky chance encounter during his escape. This surely must be fabrication.
Having said all of the above I think the series is entertaining and fun and it makes me want to get my boots on.

Best wishes to all

Mike.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Mikey B said:

look at the 5th photo down in the middle column. The cameraman just happened to have a BEE Keeping overallls in his camera bag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My ****! For me this photo proves that the whole thing is set up and engineered with a full crew and production personel - if you watch this episode on 'you tube' Bear presents the bee hive as a lucky chance encounter during his escape. This surely must be fabrication.
Having said all of the above I think the series is entertaining and fun and it makes me want to get my boots on.

Best wishes to all

Mike.

...if the shirt fits!

I dont care how many medical degrees the man might have, ...he's selling snake oil!

snakeoil.jpg

Buy into it if you like, ...or not - it's your dollar. :)

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Mikey B said:

Best wishes to all

Mike.

Its a definate setup, the camera cre just didn't happen to be in the exact place Bear parachuted in and got stuck in the trees, in the first episode. :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Dear Lord its easy,

When Martyn and I agree, I suspect there are very few arguments to be had! The guy is not only a "snake oil merchant" he is quite simply a fraud. I'm happy to use the word. He is is "using a vine to abseil down a waterfall". Oh, but the pictures say he isn't. So his insurance company said no? Why? Because its simply a stupid risk to take. Insurance companies make money being professional at assesing risk. Risk assessment is about the risk / benefit assessment. It does not mean risk should be avoided - it means risk should be assessed against the potential benefit of success when assessed against the impact of failure compared to probability of outcome.

He's making a fish hook...only he isn't (evidenced again). Would anyone care to suggest his insurance company had an issue with manufactured fish hooks?

His canyon jump?

His bowdrill?

Its about as real as "pro" wrestling. Even the advice is spurious and actually contrary to advice given to people who might actually have to "survive"

So, bad advice, poor continuity checking, inappropriate risk assessment, demonstrable untruth. It is about as relevant as Rambo and less true than Jackass.

He's turned a quid on it. Good luck to him. However, he is about as relevant to the world of outdoor living as a Big Brother contestant. And about as limited in what he will do for money.If he wants to make some piece of wannabe fiction, he might at least have a vestige of integrity and badge it as such.

Red

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
loz. said:
Balls

Your were 22 were you Nick ?

Where did you do your jump training ?
Yes

Selection twice in 74 & 75

Mobility troop didnt get jump training in 22 in my day

op in oman & badged

This thread isnt about me its about Bear Grylls
swearing doesnt really advance the conversation

enough said

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE