Bear Grylls To Be New Chief Scout!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I think he is an excellent choice for the post of Chief Scout :D .... good on him. The kids love him, and he has done alot of inspirational things over the years .... A very good choice indeed.

Ed

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Cant see what all the fuss is about!! He cant be any worse than Peter Duncan can he.

Anyway surely someone who can inspire kids to get out and have an adventure outdoors
rather than sat in front of a TV with a game control in there hands does it really matter.

I can see this is going to open a whole new "we dont like BG thread" zzzzzzzzzzz!

Just my thoughts

I'm going to reserve judgement on this one:

I too have seen Bear speak and on one or two of his TV programmes where he is not 'having to perform' I think he is truely inspirational and quite down to earth.

However, like many of us, I also have some reservations due to the content of some of his TV shows.

Having been in the movement for 25 years, it is good to see that the age of the figure-head is getting nearer to that of the young people and hence there is more connection each way - which started with Peter Duncan.

From what I have heard / can read between the lines, BG was a Scout (I would welcome someone to clarify if this is correct / for how long he was a young member of the movement).

IIRC, when I was on a course with RM, he said that he joined the Cubs but didn't like that they spent most of their time indoors playing games / football. So he left and spent his spare time in the woods, learning to track animals.

If this is correct, I think it is better that we (the movement) have a figure-head who has been a member - it would be even nicer to think that that person also progressed through the movement and gave something back as a leader as well - but seeing as we need to have a 'media friendly' face I guess I'm asking for too much. :rolleyes:

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
carzydave partly said it. he has presence, kids will listen to him more than they would to RM. He could rejuvenate the movement.

Secondly, i doubt if he is as much of an idiot as we think he is. A friend of mine was approached to be the show's local survival expert and ground logistics and saw the terms of the script / contract - crew not more than 1 mile from motel etc. he turned down the contract

I suspect that our bear is, in reality, a chained dancing bear who has to perform tricks for his masters - the media - in order to be fed. If the public are not happy (ratings) the bear is not fed. Aren't we all in some way unless entirely self employed.?

Given a new direction and an opportunity away from the entertainment media, he may well develop into a good role model for the young.

Spot on Bod. The man is a professional entertainer, he is also wholesome (born again Christian) and is very popular with the young.

He, as you say, has to eat and bring up his family and he is selling his skills to make money.

The Scout movement is getting a figurehead and Bear is getting more media exposure. Win win.

I only hope that he makes the effort to get some real bushcraft skills across to his new acolytes.

Disclaimer : I could not watch more than 5 minutes of the one program of his that I came across.

Andyre

Forager
Apr 20, 2007
Abingdon, Oxon
My initial reaction was "oh no".
But the fact that he is a celebrity will be positive for the movement.
If him being chief scout inspires just one young person or one adult to become a member then it is only good for the movement.
I think that he is a good choice as he has an image of being cool with the younger members. He may not have the following of some on here but that doesn't mean that he isnt the right person for the job,
IMO anyway

Hes just done quite a frank an honest interveiw on the BBC breakfast news show. Accompainied by a scout and a guide i must amit i thought he did a decent job especially when answer the question 'the scoutmovemet encourages positive contribution to society and honesty do you not think that as the cheif scout thats hypercyritcal as you where caught faking parts of your program?' (or words to that effect).

already bring more media coverage to the movement cant be a bad thing surely? Hes certainly stricking while the iron is hot. Good luck to them both

Nope!!! She was a Scout!!!!

Girls have been a part of the scout movement for the best part of 10 years!!!

This is a message that Bear Grylls needs to get out there - Scouts is fully inclusive and welcomes boys AND GIRLS!!

He's popular with the young people, he's charismatic and he's spreading the message that the movement needs more adults in a leadership role to accomodate the waiting list of kids wanting to do this stuff! Good Call is what I say.

Get the kids off the playstation and into the woods

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
My initial reaction was "oh no".
But the fact that he is a celebrity will be positive for the movement.
If him being chief scout inspires just one young person or one adult to become a member then it is only good for the movement.
I think that he is a good choice as he has an image of being cool with the younger members. He may not have the following of some on here but that doesn't mean that he isnt the right person for the job,
IMO anyway

Andyre got there before me, so, in a nutshell, what he said :werd:

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
I'm content with this. The Chief scout these days is seems to have 2 roles: firstly to be an outward face for the movement, and secondly to be an inspiration to the young members/prospective members. If he can do that - keeping momentum built up under Peter Duncan - then I'll be happy.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
He's quite possibly the best person they could possibly appoint. Kids love him, sat with my 6 and 8 year olds yesterday watching Bear's new programme on the video. My two met Ray last year on a family bushcraft course, and whilst he personifies bushcraft, Bear is the one that kids identify with.

And my son's bright enough to recognise that BG's approach is not the one to emulate - just his energy and enthusiasm.

Scoffham

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2009
Cumbria
I've been reading through peoples replies, and im not going to give a long reply, as others opinions are very similar to mine- just wanted to say I am completely for Bear becoming the new CS. I have been in scouting for 20 Years, and I think he can only improve the public image of scouting, as well as maybe promoting the idea of adventure (which I have found lacking from some troops I have visited around the country). Others in my troop have already voiced an opinion against, based solely it seems on his current TV show. I suppose we shall soon see what becomes.

YIS

Richard

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Spot on Bod. The man is a professional entertainer, he is also wholesome (born again Christian) and is very popular with the young.

He, as you say, has to eat and bring up his family and he is selling his skills to make money.

The Scout movement is getting a figurehead and Bear is getting more media exposure. Win win.

I only hope that he makes the effort to get some real bushcraft skills across to his new acolytes.

Disclaimer : I could not watch more than 5 minutes of the one program of his that I came across.

You think being a christian makes a person wholesome? as opposed to what? being an atheist or a jew? Are catholic priests wholesome? clearly being religious didnt make a dent on their ethical values.
Sorry but the scouts and their quazi-religious status is something that has irked me for a long time. They actively refuse to let people become leaders for being atheists or not following a religion they like. Bigots, in otherwords.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Its true! it's some kind of loophole in the law, as they are a private organisation, they allowed to hire who they want for what reasons they want and their reasoning can include things typically covered by the discrimination act. You are not allowed to join the scouts if you are an atheist. fact.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well, actually, my sixteen year old self was told, "We only ask that you do your best to do your duty to God and the Queen. Not every member manages."

No idea if that is still the position.

Shall we leave our personal comments vis a vis the Scout Movement out of things though, and allow the discussion to return to Bear Grylls as Chief Scout ? :eek:

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE