Bear Grylls and Scouting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
I do not agree with sectarian division in anything. There should be no special groups because they are deemed unable to mix with others without pollution of one sort or another. However the universal Scouting movement apparently welcomes the break up of this idea. Partly this I think because like so many organisations it is size and money that is important with all the status that gives to the leaders. It may seem irrelevant but does anybody remember when the AA was a member's organisation?

One could say that this is the result of the managerial and technocratic society which is seeing the demise of the Public Library system in the UK and many other features of what we fondly imagined was what Britain was about. Keen to be national health guinea pigs for private drug companies then?

Funny though, to return to topic, that the Scouts will say to one group, it's our party and you must adhere to all of our rules or you can't join but say to several others, that though they don't want to mix and want to cherry-pick the rules they are welcome to form their own groups, sorry I should have put, their own exclusive groups. With their restrictions on girls and other things I do wonder how much bushcraft will be experienced. In fact can girls join all of these groups on equal terms with boys? Bear in mind that if any of the members of these groups happen to change their mind about the religion they were forced to espouse they will be out double-quick even if they fancy a little Christianity it will do them no good and what will the Bear do then?.

Integration is the only sane future.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I was in the Scouts and loved it.
Taught me a love of the outdoors and it was nice to go somewhere as a kid and be given and trusted with some responsibility.

Don't know Bear Grylls and have never met him.
The shows i've seen are sensationalist rubbish that border on being factually incorrect to the point of being dangerous.

Watch Valentino Rossi on a motorbike it he makes riding a beast of a motorbike look easy (ok not so much this year).
Look at some famous footballer if that's more your thing and they make it look easy.

Grylls is the same, kids see him climbing up waterfalls, wrestling with snakes, jumping down gorges and free climbing up rock faces and they think it's easy and without consequences.
So my opinion IF he is tailoring his circus towards kids in an attempt to get them outdoors, is he has a moral obligation to cut back on the BS and project a more realistic and obtainable program.

Cheers
Mark

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
I hadent thought of that, I watch his stuff for entertainment, and to get a glimpse of some outdoorage in my living room, and mostly take it with a pinch of salt, however, since kids can watch it that dont have the bennefit of experiancing outdoor life, then I suppose it could be dangerouse, IS it te same as alowing 11 y/o's to watch hellraiser?

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Really enjoyed this thread & well done to all including the mods for exploring what is obviously a deeply contencious issue, certainly for some, in an adult & mainly civilised maner.

I particularly smiled at the post about how the aparent "fairness of rules" is greatly influenced by how they affect you. It was this that stopped me posting a reply to this thread early on really and after reading the whole thing & giving it some careful consideration I've decided the rules can stay just how they are and it will not concern me unduly.

In true columbo style though,

One more thing..... are Satanists going to be accepted as full leaders as they follow/believe in their definition of a "god" / faith ?

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This thread crosses so many boundaries that it's no wonder it's become contentious.

Tbh I think it's all been said, and in some cases better said by others, elsewhere.

No benefit to letting it run on any further.

For the record

"No politics, no religion, no racism"

Toddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE